Dee Rowe teams | The Boneyard

Dee Rowe teams

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Joey Whelton, Al Weston, were my favorites. I was at UConn at the time so I know a boatload of names from those teams. Jimmy Foster, Earl Wilson, John Thompson, Al Vaughn, Lee Otis Wilson, Tony Hansen was the best player overall. I think the front court of Chapman and Custick played for Rowe.

I also remember sitting in the stands and the students chanting "Rowe must go."

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
March 21, 1974. Worst coaching job I've ever seen, A win puts UConn in the NIT semis. That was big at the time, the semis and finals were on national TV at a time when there were only 3 national networks. We're blowing out BCU and Dee stalled UConn right out of the game. He had some nice teams but he stunk.

Reaction Score
What's your opinion of Earl Wilson? I saw him on the freshman team and he could get anywhere on the floor with quickness and a handle.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
We had season tickets back in those days.

I like Jim Abromaitis, Tony Hanson, John Thomas (Bogalusa!). Lee Otis Wilson, Randy LaVigne...too many to list.
I recently saw an ESPN show about Sam Bowie and they briefly showed the Olympic Coaches from the 1980 Olympic Team and there was a closeup of Coach Rowe and I immediately thought: I know that guy!

I used to go down to the scorer's table after the game and watch the scorekeeper total everything up...pre-internet remember, so the box score wouldn't be out until the next day's paper.

I actually went to school and played on the basketball team with his son, Donnie...but I don't recall Coach Rowe coming to a lot of our games.

Reaction Score
Joey Whelton, Al Weston, were my favorites. I was at UConn at the time so I know a boatload of names from those teams. Jimmy Foster, Earl Wilson, John Thompson, Al Vaughn, Lee Otis Wilson, Tony Hansen was the best player overall. I think the front court of Chapman and Custick played for Rowe.

I also remember sitting in the stands and the students chanting "Rowe must go."
Carr and Abro near the end. Pal do remember the floor being of a green synthetic material?

Reaction Score
What's your opinion of Earl Wilson? I saw him on the freshman team and he could get anywhere on the floor with quickness and a handle.
Good player, good rebounder for his size too. Think he was the small forward at the time. Where on the floor did Hanson play? Who was the PF?

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
Carr and Abro near the end. Pal do remember the floor being of a green synthetic material?
The field house floor was made of that material (the surrounding track was also a green material (I ran UConn track in 1981-82) but the playing surface was wooden and placed on top of the green floor. Now, parallel and adjacent to the floor was a practice court that was part of the floor and had white lines.

Reaction Score
Wasn't there a center named Berenger (6-10) that hurt UCONN in that big game?
Yep or something close. They also had a terrific, young, small forward in Rob Carrington who still remains one of my favorite college players not from UConn.

Reaction Score
Jimmy Foster, Cal Chapman, Gary Custick, Ron Hrubala, Bobby Staak, Freddy Malan, Bobby Boyd, Lee Otis Wilson, Al Vaughn earlier…….later were Tony Hanson, Al Weston, Joey Whelton, Abro, Carr, Thomas, LaVigne and a few more…….good ole days!! The ECAC tourney was always a blast. From the PCC to the The Fox…….lol

Reaction Score
March 21, 1974. Worst coaching job I've ever seen, A win puts UConn in the NIT semis. That was big at the time, the semis and finals were on national TV at a time when there were only 3 national networks. We're blowing out BCU and Dee stalled UConn right out of the game. He had some nice teams but he stunk.

Coaches chosen to help coach the USA Olympic basketball team do not stink. Did he take the air out of the ball prematurely? Probably so. If you remember correctly we were in some foul trouble that night and trying to eat up the clock. If you stink in your profession as much as Dee Rowe did during his coaching career you will have had a stellar career.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Jay Berwanger if I remember correctly.

That's correct. I believe he was the grandson of the first Heisman Trophy winner ever, who played for the University of Chicago in 1935. I was at that game. We never should have blown the big lead. It remains one of only two bright spots for BS College against us in BB. The other was losing to them in the first round of the NCAA tournament when Willie Wolters, Kara Wolter's father, was on the team in 1967.

Reaction Score
Rowe had this insane stall. It was a weave using only one side of the court. He virtually ran his player into a trap at the corner of the side court and the baseline. I have ever seen it used by another coach so I think it was his invention.

He wasn't a completely awful coach but he wasn't very good in his time at UConn. His saving grace was his contacts in the Catholic leagues and with New England high school coaches that kept pretty decent talent showing up in Storrs.

Reaction Score
My head says Tony hanson, my heart gives it to Al Weston because he cleaned my clock in an 8th grade game LOL. He was not only fast but smooth and cat like. Here is a cool link for those who may want to take a fast break back in time. Scroll down and to the right a list of our all time greats. Short bios on each.
http://adimeback.com/category/former-players/tony-hanson/

Reaction Score
I saw Tony Hanson play for Holy Cross. He made everything look so easy.
He led UConn to a big win over Cuse at the Manly field house.
They had won 30 in a row at that place.
Dee Rowe's contribution to UConn was not his coaching but the respect the regional coaches had for him which in turn got us into the Big East.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Joey Whelton and Tony Hanson were a great duo. Remember losing to Rutgers in the NCAA's after coming back to beat a good Hofstra team. Believe that was 1976

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Coaches chosen to help coach the USA Olympic basketball team do not stink. Did he take the air out of the ball prematurely? Probably so. If you remember correctly we were in some foul trouble that night and trying to eat up the clock. If you stink in your profession as much as Dee Rowe did during his coaching career you will have had a stellar career.

Stop it. His buddy was the head coach who got to pick who he wanted. Rowe was out of coaching by that time. And we were blowing them out and he gave then the game. But you are right, not fouling out was more important than winning.

Reaction Score
Agree with LIUC. Dee has given his last 45 yrs to UC and he continues to even today at the age of 85.

Reaction Score
N
Stop it. His buddy was the head coach who got to pick who he wanted. Rowe was out of coaching by that time. And we were blowing them out and he gave then the game. But you are right, not fouling out was more important than winning.
Never said not fouling out was more important than winning but did say he probably took the air out of the ball prematurely. I will say again, he did not stink as a coach. Some on this board have been so spoiled by the fantastic job done by Coach Calhoun that apparently anything less than a national championship qualifies as a lousy coaching job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom