Decommitts | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Decommitts

Reaction Score
Did it? According to whom? What is the new appraisal? What are the new taxes? What are they paying for?

Student-athletes have a different set of rules than any other student. If I choose UConn to study under a certain professor, and that professor retires, is laid off, or moves to a different university, I can reconsider for whatever reason I choose. They can't.

If you want to call it something different, so be it, but the commitment is not binding until there is a signature on the line which is dotted (Thank you Glengarry Glen Ross).
Consensus is Mora > RE.

Reaction Score
While it's true that these kids should do what's best for them. Then they never should have given a "commitment" if they didn't mean it. I don't buy this "they commit to the coaching staff" bull. What programs are that stable? What coaches would not jump to greener pastures? Maybe a handful of programs where you could be confident that things won't change. Kids should be advised and be smart enough to commit to the school. To me it shows a lack of character. It would be one thing if Uconn went FCS or was not showing their intentions to excel.
Really? A lack of character? So why not just interview with tenured professors at the potential school and just show up at the 1st practice and see who's the coach?

So every single kid who has ever changed his mind after giving a commitment to a school has a lack of character?

If changing your mind after making a commitment shows a lack of character, sure a lot of ex married people with lack of character.

Reaction Score
Yes I do. I have a severe case of “if you say it, do it”.
That’ll come with maturity, you can’t expect “if you say it, do it” standard to 17/18yr old kids. You can preach it all you want to these kids, a couple of them might get it, but most will not. Life will give them that lesson though.

Reaction Score
When there is a coaching change, you have to expect some decommitments, especially since the HC was fired in September and its now November. Here are some other schools with coaching changes:

LSU 9 decommits
USC 7 decommits
UConn 7 decommits
TCU 5 decommits
Washington 4 decommits

Even schools without coaching changes have decommits for many reasons:

Florida State 7 decommits
Florida 5 decommits
Miami 4 decommits
Penn State 3 decommits
Alabama 3 decommits
Ohio State 2 decommits

Hondo 77

The voice of reason
Reaction Score
Did it? According to whom? What is the new appraisal? What are the new taxes? What are they paying for?

Student-athletes have a different set of rules than any other student. If I choose UConn to study under a certain professor, and that professor retires, is laid off, or moves to a different university, I can reconsider for whatever reason I choose. They can't.

If you want to call it something different, so be it, but the commitment is not binding until there is a signature on the line which is dotted (Thank you Glengarry Glen Ross).
You just cost me $6,000. $6,000. And one Cadillac.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
There will be some decommittments as there are with any new coach. What we don’t know, and likely never will know, is how many left because their is a new head coach and how many left because the new coach said thanks but you don’t fit our needs any more.
Oh.

Reaction Score
I doubt Coach mora has already had time to determine who no longer fit. As someone said in another post - these recruits spent a lot of time dealing with previous regime, I think it’s a safe assumption they decommitted on their own accord. This happens at all programs and is completely understandable.
yes that is what happened the time that The Excel decided to deser t to his "dream job ". That turned out to be his nightmare'''!!

Reaction Score
What?
I recall that there were some decommits among Edsal's recruits when he went to Maryland. I also recall that there were some transfers also. I do not recall the number! But hey I was wrong once!

Reaction Score
If you are worried about Coach Corey the go become a Rutgers fan or something.

Reaction Score
So much short term thinking today and it's too often "about the money" or seeking "instant (or near instant) gratification".

Way too many people live their lives looking for the lottery win (including coaches and players) rather than steady achievement that leads to lifelong results...........like a meaningful degree and job where you can do what you enjoy or love.

Coaches leave for the big contract that maybe doesn't work out in the end (Edsall). But, the money's so good that even a major pay cut is still pretty nice.

Players transfer because they're not getting the playing time and exposure they and their families think will get them drafted. The Portal's filled with these players.

Players also transfer because they felt good about a coach who left, and we often see players transfer with their coach. The Portal has its share of these players too.

The latter group is the one into which our players who recently decommitted likely fall. They like to play the game, and must have felt a strong connection to the coaches who recruited them and the head coach. If they noticed the team's record the past decade they wouldn't have committed to UConn as their means to get an NFL contract.

Mora can probably get some of these kids back if he wants them but for those who really liked another school or two it probably won't be easy because it's hard to build trust and a relationship in three weeks.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Imagine watching UConn playing ball this fall as a recruit and then deciding the reason you want to decommit is Jim Mora. Good grief. Good luck to you guys.
So do you think all of these decommits happen if we kept the current staff? I don't. I think we keep many, if not all, of them.

It does surprise me that these players would decommit when they saw how we are trashing the garbage that was here and bringing in something new. However, there is something to be said about how recruits form bonds with coaches. I believe that awhile back, after RE was fired/retired, a few commits tweeted how they'd go wherever Corey went or something along those lines.

Losing Sallis really hurts IMO. He was one that I was really excited to have.

Reaction Score
I recall that there were some decommits among Edsal's recruits when he went to Maryland. I also recall that there were some transfers also. I do not recall the number! But hey I was wrong once!
My recollection is that one of those decommits went to Penn State instead and then on to the NFL. I don't recall what position he played.

Reaction Score
My recollection is that one of those decommits went to Penn State instead and then on to the NFL. I don't recall what position he played.
Adrian Amos S. Andrew Adams was also an Edsall S recruit but stayed. Also NFL

Reaction Score
While it's true that these kids should do what's best for them. Then they never should have given a "commitment" if they didn't mean it. I don't buy this "they commit to the coaching staff" bull. What programs are that stable? What coaches would not jump to greener pastures? Maybe a handful of programs where you could be confident that things won't change. Kids should be advised and be smart enough to commit to the school. To me it shows a lack of character. It would be one thing if Uconn went FCS or was not showing their intentions to excel.

Hogwash. NCAA rules are that neither players nor schools can bind themselves to the other until the early signing period. Every player who has verbally committed to a school has absolutely no legal recourse if a coach recruits someone better for their position and doesn't want to sign them anymore.

This is playing by the rules. If you want verbals to stick with their commitments, let players and schools sign NLIs earlier.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
How many transfers you guys expecting? I'm thinking no more than 5, 7 tops.

I was expecting about 3-4. QB, OL, LB, and maybe another OL. If he brings in any more than that, I'd be dubious on quality.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score

That's olde tyme-y thinking. Coaches commit to staying and then leave for another job. The coach that recruited him was so bad he got fired 2 games into the season and the team he signed with is moving in a different direction and also sucked. I also think him going to Marshall is as harsh a reality check describing the state of the program as much as the Wyoming QB mocking our defensive scheme was.

Commitments in recruiting these days are merely an administrative status that are completely non-binding.

Reaction Score
Hogwash. NCAA rules are that neither players nor schools can bind themselves to the other until the early signing period. Every player who has verbally committed to a school has absolutely no legal recourse if a coach recruits someone better for their position and doesn't want to sign them anymore.

This is playing by the rules. If you want verbals to stick with their commitments, let players and schools sign NLIs earlier.
That's olde tyme-y thinking. Coaches commit to staying and then leave for another job. The coach that recruited him was so bad he got fired 2 games into the season and the team he signed with is moving in a different direction and also sucked. I also think him going to Marshall is as harsh a reality check describing the state of the program as much as the Wyoming QB mocking our defensive scheme was.

Commitments in recruiting these days are merely an administrative status that are completely non-binding.
I appreciate the use of old English. Sometimes we can all be cockalorums digging in on a mumpsimus. Don't mean to brabble needlessly. I may have jargogled some of the facts being a bit of a rawgabit. Regardless, no one likes a snollygoster. Anyway, getting late, bedward hoe! Goodnight and happy Thanksgiving to all.

mikedog10

Tailgating Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Don't mean to brabble needlessly. I may have jargogled some of the facts being a bit of a rawgabit. Regardless, no one likes a snollygoster.
It takes one to know one.

Reaction Score
Between us having a very young roster and Mora embracing the portal, I think we will be fine with the remnants of this class.
If we were an older collection of players and-or the new head coach was hesitant to use the portal, we’d be in worse shape.
I’m fascinated to see what Moras first full class will look like a year from now…and no I’m not expecting a UCLA caliber class, but still optimistic.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom