Decommitts | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Decommitts

Reaction Score
I disagree. He can have some help.
I meant he needs to do it his way and not get caught half implementing what he wants do because he feels constrained by prior commits, etc..

Reaction Score
It happens but I don’t buy it w/ Sallis - this is all because of staff change/relationship w/ CE, not disinterest by Mora.

Edsall out - 9/5/21
Sallis visits TCU/Attends Game - 9/11/21
Sallis takes official visit to Marshall - 10/29/21
Mora announced as Coach - 11/11/21
Sallis decommits - 11/17/21

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I meant he needs to do it his way and not get caught half implementing what he wants do because he feels constrained by prior commits, etc..
I got. I was just giving you some static...No harm intended.

Reaction Score
That's didn't take long. Made up his mind, then decommitted from us, then announced the Marshall commitment. I think Marshall is getting a good one.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
My dream list assuming no surprises departures for seven JUCO/Grad/Transfer dudes:
1) Center (I like Fortin, but we need more and need depth)
2) QB
3) Corner
4) Safety
5) LB
6) OT
7) G

Reaction Score
This wasnt a case of Mora not being good. Marshall built a great relationship over the past few weeks. Not much you can do without a coach to combat it.
Marshall isn't a terrible landing spot either. They've been pretty consistently good.

Reaction Score
Kids have to be recruited out of the transfer portal as well, don't they? A coach cannot simply go, "I'll take you, you, you, and you."
Of course they do. I am sure players in the transfer portal, upperclassmen especially, are acutely aware of what programs would offer immediate playing time. And rest assured, UCONN can offer immediate playing time at every single position.

Reaction Score
My dream list assuming no surprises departures for seven JUCO/Grad/Transfer dudes:
2) QB
3) Corner
4) Safety
5) LB
6) OT
7) G
I think, and believe, QB will be a huge focus.

After that the best way to build a team is up front and work back. Shore up the O Line and, coupled with a solid qb and a 21st century scheme, the offense can be solid.

Defense needs a ton of help. I would say biggest issue was lack of speed on the edge. Pass rush was painful. Need to find some players who can fly off the edges even if that is the only thing they do.

Reaction Score
While it's true that these kids should do what's best for them. Then they never should have given a "commitment" if they didn't mean it. I don't buy this "they commit to the coaching staff" bull. What programs are that stable? What coaches would not jump to greener pastures? Maybe a handful of programs where you could be confident that things won't change. Kids should be advised and be smart enough to commit to the school. To me it shows a lack of character. It would be one thing if Uconn went FCS or was not showing their intentions to excel.

Reaction Score
2) QB
3) Corner
4) Safety
5) LB
6) OT
7) G
6,7 should be before QB… it all starts up front on both sides of the ball, if you cannot block then your QB will struggle most of the time and if you can’t put pressure up front on defense consistently then you dbs and lbs will struggle.

Reaction Score
While it's true that these kids should do what's best for them. Then they never should have given a "commitment" if they didn't mean it. I don't buy this "they commit to the coaching staff" bull. What programs are that stable? What coaches would not jump to greener pastures? Maybe a handful of programs where you could be confident that things won't change. Kids should be advised and be smart enough to commit to the school. To me it shows a lack of character. It would be one thing if Uconn went FCS or was not showing their intentions to excel.
High school kids, this should be expected.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I think, and believe, QB will be a huge focus.

After that the best way to build a team is up front and work back. Shore up the O Line and, coupled with a solid qb and a 21st century scheme, the offense can be solid.

Defense needs a ton of help. I would say biggest issue was lack of speed on the edge. Pass rush was painful. Need to find some players who can fly off the edges even if that is the only thing they do.
I'm not optimistic there are any passrushers in the portal. Particularly pass rushers we could actually get. I like the potential of Watts, McCarthy, Uguak, Gourdine, Evans and Kevon Jones for 2022 with Harris, DeVaughn and others backing up. It seems to me that Watts isn’t playing at 100% this year fwiw as well. Of course, if you can find some pass rush in the portal then by all means go for it.

On our O it seems to me there is a large difference in the performance of the unit when Fortin is at center vs others. The center position is instrumental in setting protections and taking the leading the unit.

6,7 should be before QB… it all starts up front on both sides of the ball, if you cannot block then your QB will struggle most of the time and if you can’t put pressure up front on defense consistently then you dbs and lbs will struggle.

Apparently I am more bullish on the medium term potential of the current freshman and sophomore OLs on our roster. But if Mora brings in 5 new OL I certainly won’t be sad.

Reaction Score

What a weird thing to say. So they should commit because they like the bookstore? They make relationships with the coaches and buy into the philosophy. If the coach moves on they absolutely should review all options

Husky25

Reaction Score
I know right? These kids today...:rolleyes:

What if you were buying a house and four days before closing, it burned down. Should you still be compelled to buy the land, as is, for original agreed upon price?

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I pretty much disagree about all your points here.

Reaction Score
What a terrible take.

You build a relationship with the coaches and the staff. You're being recruited to play a sport. The reason you're going to that school is to play the sport for that coach.

It's perfectly acceptable for a grown a** man to go back on his commitment to a school and his players by taking a new job, but if a student athlete goes back on his commitment it's a lack of character. What a joke.

Reaction Score
The reaction to my last post was pretty unpopular and I respect all this opinions, but I disagree.
Don’t commit early because of all the swirling in the game. Wait and when you commit, mean it.
The house is not burning, it just got moved to a better neighborhood.
Coaches have the relationships, but I feel that the school supersedes. Who in their right mind would think that RE would be there for four more years?
I agree coaches leave all the time, another good reason to wait it out.

Reaction Score
That's a bit harsh. I've left jobs because I hated the incoming management when they were bought by another company. So I found a job that better aligned with what I wanted in a career. Guess I have no character either. So you're saying it's perfectly ok for coaches to jump ship when ever something better comes along, but it's not ok for an 18 year to jump ship when said coach leaves where the kid was recruited to. Personally I think this shows great character on their part to stand up for what's best for them.

phillionaire

esta noche somos mantequilla
Reaction Score
The reaction to my last post was pretty unpopular and I respect all this opinions, but I disagree.
Don’t commit early because of all the swirling in the game. Wait and when you commit, mean it.
Coaches have the relationships, but I feel that the school supersedes. Who in their right mind would think that RE would be there for four more years?
do you feel the same way about coaches (that are paid handsomely for their services by the way) that abandon these same players to move onto a higher paying job or is it just the unpaid players that are held to this high standard

Reaction Score
So when UConn flips a kid you wonder about his character? Do you question coaches character when they switch jobs?

Reaction Score
do you feel the same way about coaches (that are paid handsomely for their services by the way) that abandon these same players to move onto a higher paying job or is it just the unpaid players that are held to this high standard
Yes I do. I have a severe case of “if you say it, do it”.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Did it? According to whom? What is the new appraisal? What are the new taxes? What are they paying for?

Student-athletes have a different set of rules than any other student. If I choose UConn to study under a certain professor, and that professor retires, is laid off, or moves to a different university, I can reconsider for whatever reason I choose. They can't.

If you want to call it something different, so be it, but the commitment is not binding until there is a signature on the line which is dotted (Thank you Glengarry Glen Ross).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom