Decommitts | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Decommitts

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
There may also be commits that Mora is not interested in is a factor as well. Hopefully the next week or two a OC and DC will be named

That is the factor. Any of these higher rated recruits could have decommitted as soon as RE was relieved. Decommitting as soon as Edsall was fired would have been in their best interest so they would have as much time as possible to be recruited by others schools.

The decommits after the new coach is named is a clear indication the new staff isn't interested in them.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
These kids and their families had relationships with the coaches who recruited them. I wouldn't over think it past that. Parents get comfortable sending their kids to play for people, who are no longer going to be there.

So why didn't they commit as soon as RE was fired? Surely you don't thin D1 recruits and their families are unaware that a new coach brings in his own staff and the coaches at UConn who did recruit them had zero chance of being on the next coach's staff?

Reaction Score
The two highest recruits just finished their football seasons. Sallis has been making the rounds for awhile now. Don't see any reason why any incoming staff wouldn't want to keep these two. The decommits started to roll after it was announced the staff would be terminated. What difference does it make when they announce? Everyone's recruiting had opened up when it happened that early.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
What worked for RE1 didn’t for RE2. Instead of developing, the team got younger. People have noticed that Clemsons down year is partially a result of not utilizing the portal enough.

Reaction Score
There will be some decommittments as there are with any new coach. What we don’t know, and likely never will know, is how many left because their is a new head coach and how many left because the new coach said thanks but you don’t fit our needs any more.
Were there a lot of decommittments when Pasqualoni was hired? Or even Disco?

Reaction Score
That is the factor. Any of these higher rated recruits could have decommitted as soon as RE was relieved. Decommitting as soon as Edsall was fired would have been in their best interest so they would have as much time as possible to be recruited by others schools.

The decommits after the new coach is named is a clear indication the new staff isn't interested in them.
It happens but I don’t buy it w/ Sallis - this is all because of staff change/relationship w/ CE, not disinterest by Mora.

Edsall out - 9/5/21
Sallis visits TCU/Attends Game - 9/11/21
Sallis takes official visit to Marshall - 10/29/21
Mora announced as Coach - 11/11/21
Sallis decommits - 11/17/21

Reaction Score
So why didn't they commit as soon as RE was fired? Surely you don't thin D1 recruits and their families are unaware that a new coach brings in his own staff and the coaches at UConn who did recruit them had zero chance of being on the next coach's staff?
Likely wanted to see who was hired and whether the new guy would feel differently about their kid. They wanted info, they now have it.

Reaction Score
It happens but I don’t buy it w/ Sallis - this is all because of staff change/relationship w/ CE, not disinterest by Mora.

Edsall out - 9/5/21
Sallis visits TCU/Attends Game - 9/11/21
Sallis takes official visit to Marshall - 10/29/21
Mora announced as Coach - 11/11/21
Sallis decommits - 11/17/21
My reply was going to be similar but with less detail @Chin Diesel . Sallis is too talented for Mora to send him on his way.

Reaction Score
My reply was going to be similar but with less detail @Chin Diesel . Sallis is too talented for Mora to send him on his way.
I agree. Sallis is the prototype for an incoming recruit at the TE position &, if he has the speed, could be deadly at the WR position. Even if Coach Mora should use the transfer portal to restock, Sallis is the perfect player to sign & redshirt for a year. My thinking is twofold:
1. as his season progressed, he started getting attention from higher profile schools in Texas (read that aTm , Bevo St., TCU)
2. In his mind, he is an instant starter & has no desire to redshirt for a year
The fact that the FHCRE regime is out only fueled his decision to decommit. I don't think that the Mora administration stood a chance once he started getting feelers from local area schools.

Banta55

Hoops since 86"
Reaction Score
I'm beginning to get the feeling our lead recruiter has started to put it out that that he is not part of the Mora future. I could be wrong, time will tell.
My thoughts as well.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I am sure many of them are great kids, but we do not have anywhere close to the talent level needed to be mediocre at the FBS level, much less any good. There will be more decommits and quite a few transfers in the near future, because Mora needs to quickly upgrade the talent through the transfer portal. I would not be surprised if 25% or more of our starters next year are not currently on UConn's roster.

Mora wouldn't take the job if he didn't think he could get talented kids to come to UConn, so I will not worry to much about a player here or there deciding UConn is no longer for them.

Reaction Score
25% of next years starters aren’t on current roster? The number should be closer to 50-60%

And I think Coach Mora knows this. There was discussion in another thread about Coach Moras contacts all over the place in response saying we should be focused on geographical area close to us instead of Texas - the transfer portal is where Coach Mora’s contacts will come into play. I fully expect him to get some really talented players through the portal for 2022 (really interested to see what QB he brings in to be the starter) He is not dumb - he wants to start winning immediately and the only way to do that is hit the portal hard. And this is the time to do it as we will have decommits and transfers aplenty.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Mora said on the 4th segment of the Coach's Show that his only contact with the current commits is via text and DM. Most, if not all, of the decommits are reading between the lines on their own.

Is that really a bad thing? The roster needs moderate to severe upgrading. I don't care to look, but It might shed a light on who is being considered for Mora's staff by knowing who the lead recruiters are on both groups on player.

Reaction Score
Question about the transfer portal as UConn has used it so rarely or not at all:
When can players going through the portal sign with their new school: immediately, National Signing Day in December, or the end of the current semester (trimester) at their current school?

Reaction Score
Mora has to figure this out on his own and get to work. Frankly, we have very few keepers and change is a must. He will prioritize around changes that return the most impact. QB and OL are job 1. LBs are next highest priority. DBs are number 3.

Reaction Score
Mora said on the 4th segment of the Coach's Show that his only contact with the current commits is via text and DM. Most, if not all, of the decommits are reading between the lines on their own.

Is that really a bad thing? The roster needs moderate to severe upgrading. I don't care to look, but It might shed a light on who is being considered for Mora's staff by knowing who the lead recruiters are on both groups on player.

Commits reading between the lines: Wondering what all of this portends, Coach Mora knows that a roster can't be built using only the portal. Signing of high school recruits is an integral part of the rebuild for red shirt purposes. Has Coach Mora had time to assess the current recruiting class? Has he been in contact with other recruits that he plans to target & sign? All of this conjecture will make for an interesting National Signing Day.

Reaction Score
2022 Decommit timing:

* Edsall out - 9/5
FLA DB Jeremiah McGill - 9/20
FLA DL Donovan Branch - 10/2
FLA DL Reggie Jean - 10/7
PA OL Joden Nelson - 10/14
PA DL Nathan Voorhis - 10/17
* Mora hired - 11/11
TX TE Sean Sallis - 11/16
FLA WR KJ Burke - 11/17

Reaction Score
I am sure many of them are great kids, but we do not have anywhere close to the talent level needed to be mediocre at the FBS level, much less any good. There will be more decommits and quite a few transfers in the near future, because Mora needs to quickly upgrade the talent through the transfer portal. I would not be surprised if 25% or more of our starters next year are not currently on UConn's roster.

Mora wouldn't take the job if he didn't think he could get talented kids to come to UConn, so I will not worry to much about a player here or there deciding UConn is no longer for them.
How many transfers you guys expecting? I'm thinking no more than 5, 7 tops.

Reaction Score
A ton. At the end of the season I am sure Coach will talk to each player in an honest way. Some who don’t get good news will stay (and their scholarship absolutely should be honored) and some will choose to go to a school where they can get some playing time.

Reaction Score
There will be decommits and transfers before Mora coaches his first game for UConn. It sucks we lost Sallis and Burke, but I believe we have the right guy in place to really get things righted relatively quickly.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
A ton. At the end of the season I am sure Coach will talk to each player in an honest way. Some who don’t get good news will stay (and their scholarship absolutely should be honored) and some will choose to go to a school where they can get some playing time.

Kids have to be recruited out of the transfer portal as well, don't they? A coach cannot simply go, "I'll take you, you, you, and you."

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Hmmm, sounds right.

Might be zero or 1 by mid December, then 2-3 before the start of the spring semester...then maybe 2-3 before the start of the July/August program.

Reaction Score
Imagine committing to the run, run, pass, punt - 2 yards and no first down offense and then decommitting when a coach that actually wants to play football in the 21st century gets the job. I don’t understand it.

That's a great point. Why do we expect these young men to be able to decide what's right for them as opposed to letting you do it for them?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom