DeBerry makes U-19 team | Page 3 | The Boneyard

DeBerry makes U-19 team

Reaction Score
Seems like this injury is lingering with Azzi, a little concerning. Unless hopefully she didn’t play for a different reason

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
I'd like to know why they didn't play, injured? Seems strange that the only two players that didn't play were the UConn girls. If Azzi is injured then she should come home and don't take a chance of further complications. Her most important game coming up is November 14.

Reaction Score
Maybe they were just beat out for playing time. Wouldn't seem likely but it could happen. DeBerry did play at the end.

Reaction Score
why clarck isn't in the starting 5 plus didn't like the chimistry betwen players why they choose the ucla coach Im not a fan

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Maybe they were just beat out for playing time. Wouldn't seem likely but it could happen. DeBerry did play at the end.
Hmm. Azzi did miss that corner 3 in shoot around or maybe Cori Close is punishing her for not choosing UCLA. :eek::eek:

Reaction Score
I can’t read poprikash without thinking of Billy Crystal in when Harry Met Sally.
That was a wonderful movie. For a long time afterward, my wife thought she was Meg Ryan at the dinner table. The pressure was almost unbearable. Almost.

Reaction Score
There is enough interest in the "why" here and probably elsewhere, that any reporter covering this team should be asking the question directly to Close why Azzi and Amari are not playing. It wouldn't be a reporter looking to cause trouble, but rather just a reporter addressing the elephant in the room.

Amari could be close to the last player on the roster, that is certainly possible, but Azzi not playing for sure requires an explanation. Some may be hoping it is not due to injury, I am hoping it is because of a "minor" injury. The reason I say that, is that with no reason given so far, the other possible "reasons" we could speculate about are far more negative.

If they are playing so poorly that they don't deserve playing time, that would be shocking in Azzi's case and very discouraging overall for the team's outlook this fall. If it was a benching because of their attitude or breaking a rule that would be very negative too, and certainly if Close had a vendetta against Uconn or players that she recruited that went elsewhere, that would be a major black mark on her reputation. Maybe they tested positive, who knows.

So for me, if we find out they both tweaked an ankle or something minor, that is the best news we could hear. Most of the other possible explanations that come to mind are far more negative. The sooner we find out it is nothing to worry about the better. I suspect Paige probably has had discussions with Azzi about this as well. The lack of an answer is starting to become very conspicuous and as a result more of a worry as well.

Reaction Score
Extremely disappointed that there is no news on Azzi.

Was Jersey W. a last entry to making the team along with Amari too?

Reaction Score
Or maybe she was being overly cautious with the top recruit. Besides it was a practice game.
I'd bet is still recovering from that ankle injury and it wasn't worth taking a chance of reinjury in an unimportant game..............in DeBerry's case, I assume she is just at the end of the bench at the moment.....

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Amari played a few minutes yesterday and looked a little lost, particularly on defense. She has some work to do.

There must be something going on physically with Azzi. Doesn't appear to be serious as she did warm up with the team.

Surprised how ordinary Caitlin Clark has looked so far. I'm sure that will change.

Reaction Score
Amari played a few minutes yesterday and looked a little lost, particularly on defense. She has some work to do.

There must be something going on physically with Azzi. Doesn't appear to be serious as she did warm up with the team.

Surprised how ordinary Caitlin Clark has looked so far. I'm sure that will change.
in the few minutes I watched Clark she was not her hyper aggressive self on the offensive end............I guess she is trying to fit into the team's style of play..........if they need a scoring boost in a specific game, that will most likely change....

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Extremely disappointed that there is no news on Azzi.
There is enough interest in the "why" here and probably elsewhere, that any reporter covering this team should be asking the question directly to Close why Azzi and Amari are not playing. It wouldn't be a reporter looking to cause trouble, but rather just a reporter addressing the elephant in the room.
A little perspective is called for here. This was an exhibition for U19 Women's National Team. "a reporter covering the team" for an exhibition might quite literally be a foreign concept.
USA basketball has a good write up on the game.
USA Women's U19 World Cup Team Claims 79-59 win over Spain in Second Exhibition Contest

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Azzi was at UConn in July, so if there was a problem then I don't think Geno would have let her go. Geno is close to Close ( see that? ) , so he may have asked her to keep her play limited since she is still recovering. Once real play begins I anticipate her in the starting line up. Amari was the last player chosen, so I believe we will only see her at mop up time.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Like others here, I’d like to know “the rest of the story” (Paul Harvey). If Azzi and Amari weren’t healthy enough to play, neither should have made the roster or the trip. There’s always next year. Give two other healthy players a chance to make the roster and play. Today is August 1. There’s 3 months and 13 days before UConn breaks the seal on the 21-22 season, not counting the two exhibition games that will be played in early November.

If either or both are still recovering from injury, there is still more than enough time for them to FULLY RECOVER and be 100% healthy and ready to begin play in November. I think we’re all more concerned about their play for UConn this coming season than anything they could do over the summer playing USA basketball. USA and Fiba play will take care of itself in the next 3 years. First things first.

Last edited:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Azzi was at UConn in July, so if there was a problem then I don't think Geno would have let her go. Geno is close to Close ( see that? ) , so he may have asked her to keep her play limited since she is still recovering. Once real play begins I anticipate her in the starting line up. Amari was the last player chosen, so I believe we will only see her at mop up time.
Good observation baldy. If Amari looked lost as was reported, you can count on it. DeBerry will benefit from being on the team and observing play at the international level.

ONO is entering her final season, and she still has some things she needs to work on and clean up. Amari is just beginning her collegiate walk. Unlike ONO who was pressed into a starting role because she was the only true post on the roster.

Amari won’t experience that scenario. UConn has 4 players on roster standing 6’5” (when was the last time you could say that?). She’ll have the entire season to grow, mature a little and adjust to playing at the elite level with and against elite players. She’ll be under the tutelage of CD and Jamelle Elliott, she’ll be fine. They really won’t need her until next year. She’ll be ready to play. I’m more concerned about Gabriel’s growth and development at this point than Amari’s.

She was nothing more than a cheerleader last year. She had some necessary medical issues that were addressed after the season. How much can she be counted on to contribute this season? I’d settle for 12-15 meaningful minutes a game this year.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom