Death. Taxes. Rothstein in Storrs for practice | The Boneyard

Death. Taxes. Rothstein in Storrs for practice

Status
Not open for further replies.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
Everyone is going to notice Adams. Oz on the other board mentioned Adams after watching practice over the weekend. Both in skills and vocal leadership. Oz made it sound like the team was pretty quiet. Adams was sorta vocal.

He should be vocal. He's going to be the team's leader next year after Gibbs/Purvis/Hamilton leave.

By the way, is 'the other board' scout or riv@ls? I cant seem to find this 'other' forum. if someone could send me a message that would be kind. Thanks

4in16

uses the force
Reaction Score
Someone should tell him the bacon, jalapeño mac and cheese is #OTC.

Reaction Score
Guess Rothstein finally adhered to the rules at UConn about live tweeting practice.

Reaction Score
What are the rules?
Not to live tweet during practice.

Rothstein has come to practices before, and usually live tweeted, which would lead to much of the horde subtweeting him.

It's actually a bummer because it was great getting updates from somebody watching a real practice.

Reaction Score
@JonRothstein
UConn has vastly improved its talent, depth, and versatility since last season. Chemistry and leadership however are a massive unknown.
5:52 PM - 19 Oct 2015

@JonRothstein
The biggest difference in Amida Brimah compared to the last two years? Starting to look comfortable facing up from 15-feet. Confident.

@JonRothstein
Early prediction on UConn's starting five: Sterling Gibbs, Rodney Purvis, Daniel Hamilton, Shonn Miller, Amida Brimah.
5:53 PM - 19 Oct 2015

@JonRothstein
I'm buying stock in UConn freshman Jalen Adams. An exceptional passing PG who gets into the teeth of the defense. Big key for Huskies.
5:54 PM - 19 Oct 2015

Reaction Score
Yeah borges has thrown a hissy fit every year rothstein gives the people what they want ( wonky comparisons, but something)

Reaction Score
Gibbs shoots too much.... B.S. These experts are still stuck in a world where "floor general" types run point. That certainly works, but we've seen many examples where a shoot first player leads their team to a championship. Our own Bazz is a good example. I don't mind a shoot first guy at point. And it's totally possible for a really good player to learn to both shoot and pass. I'm not looking for Wojo. I'm not even looking for Taliek Brown. Those guys were good players, but chucking up a few bad shots is how these guys learn. Someone needs to learn to shoot. Someone needs to learn to be the man. Maybe that guy will be Gibbs.

Reaction Score
Gibbs shoots too much.... B.S. These experts are still stuck in a world where "floor general" types run point. That certainly works, but we've seen many examples where a shoot first player leads their team to a championship. Our own Bazz is a good example. I don't mind a shoot first guy at point. And it's totally possible for a really good player to learn to both shoot and pass. I'm not looking for Wojo. I'm not even looking for Taliek Brown. Those guys were good players, but chucking up a few bad shots is how these guys learn. Someone needs to learn to shoot. Someone needs to learn to be the man. Maybe that guy will be Gibbs.
He's not wrong, we have enough weapons where if Gibbs is taking bad shots consitantly it will be a deterrent.

Reaction Score
@JonRothstein
The biggest difference in Amida Brimah compared to the last two years? Starting to look comfortable facing up from 15-feet. Confident.
Brimah actually did a ton of that last season, especially in February.

The two things I want to see: Can he hold position on the block both offensively and defensively, and can he catch the ball first-time when receiving entry passes and when rebounding?

Reaction Score
I'm not overly ecstatic about his Brimah observations:

"The biggest difference in Amida Brimah compared to the last two years? Starting to look comfortable facing up from 15-feet. Confident"

I would have liked him to say, he's not fouling everyone who comes near him. Maybe something about rebounding better.

Reaction Score
He's not wrong, we have enough weapons where if Gibbs is taking bad shots consitantly it will be a deterrent.
Maybe. We'll see how it shakes out. But I'm a firm believer that better players (scorers in particular) need to do some ball hogging to learn their craft.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score

. Why are you people always looking for something to get mad about when it comes to UConn and the media? First, you twist his words into saying that "Gibbs shoots too much", then you forget that we have one of our most offensively talented lineups 1-5 in a while (yes I'm including Brimah in that folks, come at me). Gibbs shouldn't be a shoot-first PG leading us to a championship because our roster is too good for us to need that.

Reaction Score
. Why are you people always looking for something to get mad about when it comes to UConn and the media? First, you twist his words into saying that "Gibbs shoots too much", then you forget that we have one of our most offensively talented lineups 1-5 in a while (yes I'm including Brimah in that folks, come at me). Gibbs shouldn't be a shoot-first PG leading us to a championship because our roster is too good for us to need that.
I comment because the game is changing. And the "experts" don't seem to notice. Instead they resort to some cookie-cutter team where the PG is steady, rarely shoots and never turns the ball over. Again, that can certainly work. But like I said before. The best players learn their craft through shooting, driving into double teams, making bad passes...in short, making mistakes and trying stuff. I'm not saying Gibbs will ever get to the point where he controls/dominates a game...but if he has that ability...shooting is how he would do it.

Reaction Score
I would also add, you are probably correct about laying into the analyst. He gave us some good stuff to talk about and should be thanked for it. His observations were probably accurate. But I potentially disagree with some of his analysis. Of course he watched the practice and I didn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom