Death Storm Helene | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Death Storm Helene

Reaction Score
Hopefully, @ctchamps and even the PITA Florida State visitor @billybud fared better than far too many in Asheville and numerous other hard hit areas in and near the NC mountains.

Underreported to date nationally, but the confluence of 2 storms (1 stalled out dumping rain on prior saturated areas even before Helene arrived), and reportedly resulted in as much as 20-30” of rain in some areas. Roads (interstate, state and local), railroad tracks, homes, businesses, cellular towers, etc flooded and washed away, landslides, no power, water and sewage treatment in some instances, no internet, mobile service, etc out. UNC Asheville, App State, etc closed for at least a week and likely more, etc, and sadly many lives likely lost. National Guard in NC and from other states, including CT, are deployed/deploying to help with rescue, recovery, infrastructure, etc.

Here’s one Asheville station report regarding the combined storms effects in the area: Home
A friend's son lives on Black Mountain in Asheville. He's okay but he had to rescue a family. His Shope Creek neighborhood is apocalyptic.

Reaction Score
I live in Cherokee, NC. Luckily me and my girlfriend were away in Connecticut during Helen and we are also lucky enough to have family back home that are safe, and able to look after our animals during the flooding.

We are however, currently stranded with no real way of getting into that part of western North Carolina. On top of that, I work over the mountain in Gatlinburg, TN. With all the roads closed, even if I get home, I will have no way of getting to work that doesn’t take about 3 hours. Obviously, prayers for those who weren’t lucky enough to be away from the area this week.

Right now the word coming from friends and family back in the mountains is that things are much worse than the news is reporting. No cell service in most places, so a lot of the footage is taking a long time to release. Also, with cell service down, no one is really sure who is missing at the moment in some of the more rural areas. Not to paint a grim picture, but just sharing some more info from someone who lives in the area.

Reaction Score
I live in Cherokee, NC. Luckily me and my girlfriend were away in Connecticut during Helen and we are also lucky enough to have family back home that are safe, and able to look after our animals during the flooding.

We are however, currently stranded with no real way of getting into that part of western North Carolina. On top of that, I work over the mountain in Gatlinburg, TN. With all the roads closed, even if I get home, I will have no way of getting to work that doesn’t take about 3 hours. Obviously, prayers for those who weren’t lucky enough to be away from the area this week.

Right now the word coming from friends and family back in the mountains is that things are much worse than the news is reporting. No cell service in most places, so a lot of the footage is taking a long time to release. Also, with cell service down, no one is really sure who is missing at the moment in some of the more rural areas. Not to paint a grim picture, but just sharing some more info from someone who lives in the area.

I think I've mentioned this before. My in-laws are from around 30 minutes from Cherokee. Their neighbor is famous for his 2 story trailer, lol.

Family hasn't left the driveway since the storm. 3 trees across, including one on BILs truck. And a bunch more trees on the road that no one has touched. Wild.

Reaction Score
I fear the death toll is going to skyrocket. A lot of these small Appalachian towns have no way of communicating with the outside world. Every conceivable bad thing associated with hurricanes seems to have happened through Florida's Big Bend, Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Tennessee.

Reaction Score
We have a FSU troll who posts on the CR
Board Billy Bud who lives in Asheville
I’m hearing incredible destruction in the mountains of NC and Eastern Tennessee
When a section of an I 40 gets cubed out that’s almost incomprehensible. .
We hope everyone is okay regardless of who their team is .

Reaction Score
My wife's family posted pictures of the local river. Must be 100 boats, docks, and boathouses stuck on a bridge. Almost like an ice dam.

There was water up to second story porches in town. Whole place is devastated.

Reaction Score
My wife's family posted pictures of the local river. Must be 100 boats, docks, and boathouses stuck on a bridge. Almost like an ice dam.

There was water up to second story porches in town. Whole place is devastated.
Where is the national news coverage? They were really light on news coverage leading up to the storm despite it being certain there was going to be mass devastation and there's a total lack of national coverage considering the gravity of the situation. I get that access and communication is difficult in these small towns but they aren't even covering it on the news channels. Where's the drone footage? Where are the national correspondents?

We get a light dusting of snow in NYC and it's wall to wall coverage for days. Entire towns are gone and people are missing all over Appalachian areas in Georgia, Tennessee, South Carolina, and North Carolina and it's mostly crickets.

This is one of the worst hurricanes the US has seen in 100 years.

Reaction Score
Where is the national news coverage? They were really light on news coverage leading up to the storm despite it being certain there was going to be mass devastation and there's a total lack of national coverage considering the gravity of the situation. I get that access and communication is difficult in these small towns but they aren't even covering it on the news channels. Where's the drone footage? Where are the national correspondents?

We get a light dusting of snow in NYC and it's wall to wall coverage for days. Entire towns are gone and people are missing all over Appalachian areas in Georgia, Tennessee, South Carolina, and North Carolina and it's mostly crickets.

The press has ignored national disasters before. They were a massive flood in Tennessee back in around 2011... like once every 500 years. Barely covered it. So I'll let you think about that.

Reaction Score
The coverage has been scarce for sure and I’m in North Carolina (near Wilmington) all we have really seen is bits and pieces from the Asheville area where a dam broke and the entire area had to be evacuated by helicopter. We only got a little bit of rain

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

For one thing there aren't too many ways for news crews to get on site. Roads in every direction washed out and bridges gone.

Reaction Score
For one thing there aren't too many ways for news crews to get on site. Roads in every direction washed out and bridges gone.
Of course don't put your people in the middle of the floods but they always have people on site or as close as they can reasonably get for major storms. This wasn't some unforeseen event. Where is the drone footage? Where are the reporters? Where are the people in studio? They've had their regularly scheduled programming on the news channels all day instead of reporting on this tragedy.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Of course don't put your people in the middle of the floods but they always have people on site or as close as they can reasonably get for major storms. This wasn't some unforeseen event. Where is the drone footage? Where are the reporters? Where are the people in studio? They've had their regularly scheduled programming on the news channels all day instead of reporting on this tragedy.

I don't know what to tell you. Every national news feed I view has multiple articles, videos and photo dumps.

Reaction Score
Literally the lead story on NBC and CBS
When? I had the TV on back and forth all day with the games and never saw them do a cut in for hurricane coverage.

Did they have people on the ground in the states reporting or just people in the news studio talking about it?

Reaction Score
When? I had the TV on back and forth all day with the games and never saw them do a cut in for hurricane coverage.

Did they have people on the ground in the states reporting or just people in the news studio talking about it?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom