Death Storm Helene | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Death Storm Helene

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Watching Weather Channel, they're talking Cat 3. Mrs Dove flicked to David Muir as he was saying, "Just in. Helen is a Cat 4!!!"

Weather Channel never said that.
Fox Weather just confirmed Cat 4

F-ed up, but if a Cat 4 has to hit, Big Bend is place to do it.
Quick storm and sparsely populated.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Watching Weather Channel, they're talking Cat 3. Mrs Dove flicked to David Muir as he was saying, "Just in. Helen is a Cat 4!!!"

Weather Channel never said that.
International Cat Day Cats GIF by MOODMAN

I don't know, a three cat hurricane doesn't seem so intimidating...

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score

Between 12 and 15 inches have fallen where I live in South Asheville since yesterday from a stalled front that’s pulling up moisture from the gulf. We expect an additional 10 - 15 inches as Helene passes west of here. Needless to say grounds are saturated, streams and rivers are reaching levels of overflowing so they could set records in the coming days. Winds will down a lot of trees.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Between 12 and 15 inches have fallen where I live in South Asheville since yesterday from a stalled front that’s pulling up moisture from the gulf. We expect an additional 10 - 15 inches as Helene passes west of here. Needless to say grounds are saturated, steams and rivers are reaching levels of overflowing so they could set records in the coming days. Winds will down a lot of trees.
The Fujiwhara Effect in process. Good luck.

Reaction Score
Almost no rain here in Ft Myers, 50+ gusts and we live on a direct ocean accessible Canal and the water level is just about 10’ above normal. We have a dock, a cement patio above that and then a 12’ retainer wall. It’s about 3rd highest water level including Ian two years ago ( that became a $218,000 dollar insurance claim ) since we moved here 24 years ago. Gotta feel bad for the panhandle because they never get hit where it’s going this time and they have an abundance of overgrown vegetation and easily toppled palms that’s gonna devastate their entire power grid. We lost power for 3 weeks with Irma ( 6 years ago ) thats something I don’t want to ever have to go through ever again.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I swear these storms just head to the dry areas.
The US Drought Map from this week. I suspect it will look dramtically different next Thursday.
Screenshot_20240927_074027_Chrome.jpg

Reaction Score
On the Space Coast, we had light rain yesterday morning and a few tornado warnings and then heavier rain in the afternoon. Last night, we had strong winds until 1 or 2 in the morning. I had fallen palm fronds but nothing else. Co-workers in Columbia, SC had more power issues than my area.

Looks like some beach erosion in Cocoa Beach and Cape Canaveral.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
This storm is a freakin' beast!!! Dam breaches possible in Virginia and the Carolinas.

Reaction Score
Read that in a Theater of rhe Absurd class at UConn back when.... Fun read. It was performed in 1983 by Robin Williams and Steve Martin in NYC in a limited engagement that sadly was never filmed. That probably was one heck of a show!
Also F. Murray Abraham and Bill Irwin. I was fortunate to be a member of the Lincoln Center Theater and had a front row seat to that production "in the round." I had to pull in my feet so that the actors wouldn't trip over me. Never had to see another production of that show,

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Well it was worse than anticipated in Clearwater. 6.6 ft storm surge exceeded previous record by 2 ft set during 1993 - known as the no name storm and also called the perfect storm. Our pool/beach club which sits between the Guldf and intercoastal was badly damaged but still has been fully assessed because they still aren’t allowing people down that far on the beach. Friends and family with condos on the beach also badly damaged. House fires weren’t able to be contained so were left to burn down to the water level.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Between 12 and 15 inches have fallen where I live in South Asheville since yesterday from a stalled front that’s pulling up moisture from the gulf. We expect an additional 10 - 15 inches as Helene passes west of here. Needless to say grounds are saturated, streams and rivers are reaching levels of overflowing so they could set records in the coming days. Winds will down a lot of trees.
The area including us down in Clearwater have had record rainfall before the hurricane

Reaction Score
So, sitting here in Pinellas County Florida. Scholl's were closed yesterday, today and tomorrow.

The sun is out, there is a lovely breeze.

Somewhere "out there" (gestures vaguely toward the Southwest) is the storm. Plodding toward us. We are all hurricane prepped up. Everywhere is closed. Nothing to do but wait.

We are.now being stalked by a turtle.
Up here in Citrus County. Finally able to drive out and have a warm breakfast. No power, no internet. Surge was about 10 feet.

Reaction Score
I hope everyone who experienced the storm is safe.

My son got married yesterday in Hilton Head SC. Rain and wind on Thursday. Tornado watch overnight early Friday. The weather was perfect for the wedding yesterday.

My sister in law lives in Pinellas County and lost power but no flooding.

The storm seemed to move really fast.

prankster

Twister Member
Reaction Score
Well, power has been restored.

You folks weren't worth the battery drain

But, holy crap! All the low lying folks around here God thoroughly flooded. Sand across the road on Gulf Boulevard, like snowdrifts, 5 feet high.

These will not melt, FYI

Reaction Score
Hopefully, @ctchamps and even the PITA Florida State visitor @billybud fared better than far too many in Asheville and numerous other hard hit areas in and near the NC mountains.

Underreported to date nationally, but the confluence of 2 storms (1 stalled out dumping rain on prior saturated areas even before Helene arrived), and reportedly resulted in as much as 20-30” of rain in some areas. Roads (interstate, state and local), railroad tracks, homes, businesses, cellular towers, etc flooded and washed away, landslides, no power, water and sewage treatment in some instances, no internet, mobile service, etc out. UNC Asheville, App State, etc closed for at least a week and likely more, etc, and sadly many lives likely lost. National Guard in NC and from other states, including CT, are deployed/deploying to help with rescue, recovery, infrastructure, etc.

Here’s one Asheville station report regarding the combined storms effects in the area: WLOS Home

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom