Death Storm Helene | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Death Storm Helene

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Given the rapidly rising death count can we have a change to this thread title? Not a good look
I'll stick my neck out with what's bound to be a highly unpopular response:

What makes this different from Irene, Sandy or Michael, all of which had "death storm" threads on the BY, and all of which caused fatalities? Not to mention numerous unnamed blizzards which cost lives.

Reaction Score
The damage in NC reminds me of the events that caused the 1955 flood in Ct
back to back former Hurricanes dropped 19 “ of rain in the hills of Western Ct and Mass .
Only the Smokies are a lot higher and gravity being what it is gave that water additional power . Unless you actually experience the power of moving water you can’t appreciate it devastating effects.
I never made up to Seymour only Ansonia in 1955
But I’m familiar with the landscape and I worked with a man then 13 who was an a witness
Just north of Seymour is a pretty expansive flood plain which narrows as it enters the town . The water squeezed through Seymour with such force the four story buildings near the water were uprooted and destroyed as they went over the falls
The Naugatuck River pre flood
split into two branches with an island in middle that contained retail businesses including a Buick dealer and Seymour HS hangout
That simply disappeared .
i once worked for an electric motor manufacturer in the New Haven area.
An engineer who was there in 1955 ,told me even though they were unaffected in the aftermath of the flood they shut down production and dispatched their workers to the multiple manufacturing plants affected , reconditioning burnt out or damaged motors with parts supplied by the company. Many unaffected companies did the same . Getting Connecticut working again was a priority. That’s a story that should not be forgotten.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
The damage in NC reminds me of the events that caused the 1955 flood in Ct
back to back former Hurricanes dropped 19 “ of rain in the hills of Western Ct and Mass .
Only the Smokies are a lot higher and gravity being what it is gave that water additional power . Unless you actually experience the power of moving water you can’t appreciate it devastating effects.
I never made up to Seymour only Ansonia in 1955
But I’m familiar with the landscape and I worked with a man then 13 who was an a witness
Just north of Seymour is a pretty expansive flood plain which narrows as it enters the town . The water squeezed through Seymour with such force the four story buildings near the water were uprooted and destroyed as they went over the falls
The Naugatuck River pre flood
split into two branches with an island in middle that contained retail businesses including a Buick dealer and Seymour HS hangout
That simply disappeared .
i once worked for an electric motor manufacturer in the New Haven area.
An engineer who was there in 1955 ,told me even though they were unaffected in the aftermath of the flood they shut down production and dispatched their workers to the multiple manufacturing plants affected , reconditioning burnt out or damaged motors with parts supplied by the company. Many unaffected companies did the same . Getting Connecticut working again was a priority. That’s a story that should not be forgotten.

Was that from Connie and Diane? I know my parents always talked about Delaware River flooding in 1955 from those two storms back 2 back.

Reaction Score
My uncle lives in Burnsville and my mom finally got a hold of him today. She said you could tell he is a little rattled. He has no real damage to his property, but he said he is almost out of water. We gave him an open invite to come stay in VA for a while, but he's worried about looting.

Reaction Score
Rain in the mountains is much worse than rain that falls on a relatively flat area. I was in New Hampshire during the aftermath of Hurricane Irene. The rivers had incredible flows of water. Boulders the size of cars were rolling down the river. I drove by the Loon Mountain bridge in late afternoon and it was fine. I went out to get coffee at 6 AM the next morning and it had collapsed.

Reaction Score
I'll stick my neck out with what's bound to be a highly unpopular response:

What makes this different from Irene, Sandy or Michael, all of which had "death storm" threads on the BY, and all of which caused fatalities? Not to mention numerous unnamed blizzards which cost lives.
The fact that the death toll is rapidly rising well beyond those other storms. You think death storm Katrina would’ve been a good look for this forum in 2003?

I assume your question is in good faith but it’s a heartless and soul-less sentiment

temery

What?
Reaction Score
The fact that the death toll is rapidly rising well beyond those other storms. You think death storm Katrina would’ve been a good look for this forum in 2003?

I assume your question is in good faith but it’s a heartless and soul-less sentiment

Katrina got as much attention on the boneyard as any other natural disaster. Likely more.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
The lack of coverage by the media overall to the number of dead and the months and possible years to recover completely.

I listened to a young lady in NC who talked about how bridges leading into small hollows are gone, and there is no way to get to those there.

It's absolutely bizarre to believe there has been a lack of coverage for this hurricane.

And how did you listen to the young lady in NC? The media is covering this 24/7.

Reaction Score
The only reason for lack of coverage was they couldn’t get there. Once access to area was open coverage began in earnest. Not difficult to understand.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom