Death Storm Helene | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Death Storm Helene

Reaction Score
Where is the national news coverage? They were really light on news coverage leading up to the storm despite it being certain there was going to be mass devastation and there's a total lack of national coverage considering the gravity of the situation. I get that access and communication is difficult in these small towns but they aren't even covering it on the news channels. Where's the drone footage? Where are the national correspondents?

We get a light dusting of snow in NYC and it's wall to wall coverage for days. Entire towns are gone and people are missing all over Appalachian areas in Georgia, Tennessee, South Carolina, and North Carolina and it's mostly crickets.

This is one of the worst hurricanes the US has seen in 100 years.
I’d answer this but i don’t think Tom would like it.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
The lack of coverage by the media overall to the number of dead and the months and possible years to recover completely.

I listened to a young lady in NC who talked about how bridges leading into small hollows are gone, and there is no way to get to those there.

Reaction Score
The lack of coverage by the media overall to the number of dead and the months and possible years to recover completely.

I listened to a young lady in NC who talked about how bridges leading into small hollows are gone, and there is no way to get to those there.
Now compare and contrast that with Hurricane Katrina.

Reaction Score
I haven't been to cnn.com intentionally in years but curiosity got the better of me and the first eleven links on the left side of the page are Helene-related.
When I was first able to get online Sunday I was looking everywhere for information and there was hardly anything, CNN had one story and one for photos. Different story yesterday, it’s like everyone finally realized just how bad this storm was and there has been a lot more coverage since.

Reaction Score
My Ct-based accountant has a second home in Asheville NC. Her neighbors there are saying the damage there and in surrounding communities is catastrophic. Damage and loss of life. Once in a lifetime type of event.

Stating the obvious. Wasn't just a Fla-Big Bend event. Seems like the regularity of these types of weather patterns is increasing.

Hopefully the Feds provide the appropriate financial relief needed to begin the cleanup and rebuild. Be strong.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The area devastated by Helene in Western North Carolina was called one of the most climate change proof spots in the country, there were all sorts of articles written about it in the past.
And yet they knew better. In 2015 the local paper in Asheville was recounting the 1916 storm and flooding and asking whether it could happen again. They had a whole event to talk about it because it was inevitable.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
A lot of those people in Appalachia have nowhere to go and would have loved to get out long before this hurricane if they could.

This isn't Florida millionaires building on the coast.
What? That area is among the fastest growing in the country. Asheville, Holly Ridge, Greenville, the Clemson area are very attractive, lots of wealthy people moving in. Those towns/small cities in the smokies have been booming.

Reaction Score
What? That area is among the fastest growing in the country. Asheville, Holly Ridge, Greenville, the Clemson area are very attractive, lots of wealthy people moving in. Those towns/small cities in the smokies have been booming.

That's why I said "a lot" and not "everyone." Do you not think poverty is rampant in western, NC. How much time have you actually spent there?

Reaction Score
My understanding is Asheville has had explosive growth that the infrastructure can't keep up with. It also sounds like a place people from the northeast and California discovered they want to move to years ago and brought their money with them. The haves and the have nots. Major housing stock issues and major issues of displacement with people no longer being able to afford living there. Service industry jobs and a pretty significant poverty rate around 14% for Asheville and for Buncombe County.

Reaction Score
And yet they knew better. In 2015 the local paper in Asheville was recounting the 1916 storm and flooding and asking whether it could happen again. They had a whole event to talk about it because it was inevitable.

Asheville is home to the United States Government's climate data hub and there were a bunch of articles written about how it was one of the climate change safe havens in the country with quotes from people saying it's safe haven status factored into their decision to move there. The area has seen explosive growth which has brought good and bad. It clearly isn't any safe haven from the wrath of Mother Nature.

My friend's son started his own little finishing company there and was doing water rescues and is now out there finding bodies.

Reaction Score
My understanding is Asheville has had explosive growth that the infrastructure can't keep up with. It also sounds like a place people from the northeast and California discovered they want to move to years ago and brought their money with them. The haves and the have nots. Major housing stock issues and major issues of displacement with people no longer being able to afford living there. Service industry jobs and a pretty significant poverty rate around 14% for Asheville and for Buncombe County.
nice smoke signals.

Reaction Score
Do tell...
It’s plastered all over the front page of pretty much every major news outlet and has been since the storm happened, and every time I’ve turned on the TV since the storm it’s either been the storm or the Middle East. I truly don’t even understand where “the media isn’t covering it” narrative is coming from.

Reaction Score
It’s plastered all over the front page of pretty much every major news outlet and has been since the storm happened, and every time I’ve turned on the TV since the storm it’s either been the storm or the Middle East. I truly don’t even understand where “the media isn’t covering it” narrative is coming from.
It's so obvious it deserves no response.

Reaction Score
There was hardly any reporting on the storm leading up to it. I saw a tweet from a weather service the morning of the night the storm was making landfall in Florida (last Thursday) that people in the western Appalachian areas of the states were in a dire position because there would be massive flooding and mudslides and they should get out. There was very little media buildup and warning about the gravity of this storm/situation and very little tv coverage once the Storm hit. As I stated in previous posts it was hard to find television coverage of the storm this past weekend, I didn't see national correspondents in the Appalachian states, they weren't showing drone footage on TV. Considering it's one of the worst US hurricanes we've had in 100 years and will most likely be the second most deadly US hurricane in 100 years it's strange how little coverage it's gotten compared to past storms.

Small snowstorms in NYC have wall to wall storm coverage on all news channels for days, with plenty of correspndents ready on site, storm tracker cars etc.

There is a running Death Storm joke on this board about how the media makes a mountain out of a molehill so often when it comes to storms. Stock up on milk, eggs, and fill the bathtubs up and then people post about a lawn chair getting knocked over or 3 inches of snow in their backyard.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
That's why I said "a lot" and not "everyone." Do you not think poverty is rampant in western, NC. How much time have you actually spent there?
That point is rather different than what you said. Of course there are poor people. As for people trying to "get out" I think there are lot more trying to get in. Or were.

Reaction Score
That point is rather different than what you said. Of course there are poor people. As for people trying to "get out" I think there are lot more trying to get in. Or were.
I think Asheville may be the #1 move in/stay communities in the country per capita. Sadly it's gotten very difficult for the want to stay crowd to be able to afford housing and a lot of them are struggling.

Reaction Score
There was hardly any reporting on the storm leading up to it. I saw a tweet from a weather service the morning of the night the storm was making landfall in Florida (last Thursday) that people in the western Appalachian areas of the states were in a dire position because there would be massive flooding and mudslides and they should get out. There was very little media buildup and warning about the gravity of this storm/situation and very little tv coverage once the Storm hit. As I stated in previous posts it was hard to find television coverage of the storm this past weekend, I didn't see national correspondents in the Appalachian states, they weren't showing drone footage on TV. Considering it's one of the worst US hurricanes we've had in 100 years and will most likely be the second most deadly US hurricane in 100 years it's strange how little coverage it's gotten compared to past storms.

Small snowstorms in NYC have wall to wall storm coverage on all news channels for days, with plenty of correspndents ready on site, storm tracker cars etc.

There is a running Death Storm joke on this board about how the media makes a mountain out of a molehill so often when it comes to storms. Stock up on milk, eggs, and fill the bathtubs up and then people post about a lawn chair getting knocked over or 3 inches of snow in their backyard.

This seems like a weird and entirely anecdotal argument and yet every time I look at any news website (I just went to the weather channel page and there's a massive picture over the headline "DESTRUCTION IN NORTH CAROLINA") there is blanket coverage. My wife has a weird thing for local news and both the run-up and fallout from the storm have been covered incessantly on our local affiliates and we live thousands of miles from North Carolina. The leadup to the storm hitting Florida and people boarding up their houses was covered relatively nonstop where we live. This "no one is covering this storm" just seems like an odd complaint that doesn't really jibe with reality.

Reaction Score

There was quite a bit of media coverage of the storm for several days leading up to it, even nationally. Florida/Georgia got quite a bit of warning. The two related problems were 1) it intensified right off the coast, and 2) the models changed pretty close to landfall since the Carolinas/Appalachia weren’t expected to get hit nearly that hard initially. That’s not a media coverage issue. The facts just changed with little warning.

I’m not an obsessive news consumer. I’ll check a couple outlets once or twice a day and maybe throw on the news at night and even I saw plenty of stories and warnings leading up to landfall. The narrative that is was/is being ignored is just nonsense.

Reaction Score
There was quite a bit of media coverage of the storm for several days leading up to it, even nationally. Florida/Georgia got quite a bit of warning. The two related problems were 1) it intensified right off the coast, and 2) the models changed pretty close to landfall since the Carolinas/Appalachia weren’t expected to get hit nearly that hard initially. That’s not a media coverage issue. The facts just changed with little warning.

I’m not an obsessive news consumer. I’ll check a couple outlets once or twice a day and maybe throw on the news at night and even I saw plenty of stories and warnings leading up to landfall. The narrative that is was/is being ignored is just nonsense.

The coverage was impressively widespread given how quickly it moved and the very short amount of time between the storm's formation, intensification, and landfall. This thing wasn't even a tropical storm 2 days from the time it made landfall, and yet the media coverage started when it was still a tropical wave south of the Yucatan.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simon

Top Bottom