DEAR SUSAN- #UConnNeedsChangeNow or #UNCN | Page 2 | The Boneyard

DEAR SUSAN- #UConnNeedsChangeNow or #UNCN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Actually Dan I wasn't poking fun at you. My posts are generally to amuse myself.

I give you credit for the idea but it is way to complicated to get people to take that kind of action.

If just 500 season ticket holders sent an email, made a phone call and sent their ticket to the final game to Warde he would take notice.

The big donors are making noise. Why shouldn't we?

its not hard to put your tailgating flags upside down or turn your hoodie inside out

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Do you guys think Manuel is blind? He doesn't need any emails, he'll see the Rent on Saturday.

Reaction Score
Do you guys think Manuel is blind? He doesn't need any emails, he'll see the Rent on Saturday.

Aw c'mon Whaler, don't discourage people from sending them. They would be FOI- able and a source of great comedic relief down the road.

Reaction Score
its not hard to put your tailgating flags upside down or turn your hoodie inside out

It's called apathy Dan. People here in CT won't give a damn if 50 or 100 people have flags upside down. They won't even notice.

I doubt 50-100 people on this board will even send an email to Warde and the email address was put right in front of them.

I'm running out of steam Dan. I was an over the top fanatic for years and have slowed down the past few years (at least being over the top, not my interest in the team)

But even that is starting to wane. The realignment crap really sucked the life out of me and now this PP crap. (said PP and crap in the same sentence...heh heh)

Even if I didn't get season tix next year I have no doubt I'd be at every home game. Just less enthusiastic.

Reaction Score
What clowns are on board with this crazy movement?? If anything i would take turning the flag upside down as a show of disrespect to the Uconn name. Im sure your wife or your kids would want to tailgate with you with clothes inside out. Im sure they would find the nearest Temple fan and pretend shes with them. Best thing to do and easiest is to just email Warde or Susan. Lets remember there will be recruits at the Temple game lets not be stupid and make our fan base look like a bunch of tools. I mean come on lets be smart not crazy and foolish. Ill give you an A for creativity. But i gurantee no more then 10 people go along with this.

Reaction Score
I love the idea of getting DB for Head Coach t-shirts printed up and would buy several in a heartbeat. Sends a serious message in a funny way and you don't have to boo playcalling anymore. Just point to the shirt.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I love the idea of getting DB for Head Coach t-shirts printed up and would buy several in a heartbeat. Sends a serious message in a funny way and you don't have to boo playcalling anymore. Just point to the shirt.

You are quite young aren't you?

Do you have any idea of how uncomfortable a position DB would be put in (especially mid-season) if the press got wind of a fan movement to have him promoted to replace his current boss? My guess is that it would do little beyond making it unlikely for him to ever get the job and make it impossible for him to perform his current job.

I know we want some hope, something to hold on to so we can believe that things will get better but unfortunately we won't see much (if anything) until this season is over. It sucks but this is something we will need to endure.

Reaction Score
When guys like Sportsart lose their enthusiasm, that's a REAL problem. I remember during the D Brown years standing with him, surveying the Rent, and saying "What's better than this? "And the answer was ---"Nothing!!"I'm not sure that conversation would sound the same today.
And that's the problem. It's the waning of excitment--and losing hope for much improvment. All the upside down flags in the world won't mean as much as a horde of big boosters (SEC style) banging on WM's door. What also helps is a drumbeat from whatever influential media we have out there, Dez, Jacobs, Silver, etc. Plus, if you are all respectful, I'll talk to Aunt Susan, lol. One thing is crystal clear. This administtration is unwilling to let this program regress. There is too much invested in both FBall and BBall --and they play too big a role in how we are perceived nationally (front porch) and as catalysts for CT Legislative funding. Susan was dealt a poor hand athletically. In BBall-- APR issues, no NCAA Tourney, last minute Calhoun departure (juggling legacy choice with better possibilities). In FBall, Hathaway mismanagment and mishandling of the important duties of his job--questionable PP hire without vetoes re OC/DC selections, conference realignment mess. But if there is good news, its that she moved quickly on Hathaway (and lots of others in non-sports) hired a bigger thinker in WM and will not hesitate to pull the trigger with an assassin's smile. As for PP and GD---No Bowl=No job. So I say let the pros on campus figure this out. I'm cautiously confident and can see a light at the end of the tunnel. My only (slight) fear is that it's an oncoming train.

Reaction Score
Respectfully disagree, Fairfield. First I don't think DB would even care one way or another; he doesn't have major loyalty to PP. When this shakes out I would love for him to stay at least as DC but he's not going to have a problem finding a similar or better paying job.

The larger point is that the logo conveys much more than the words on it. It's a nice way of saying PP/GDL must go and showing support for the aggressive defense that is keeping us competitive . . . or should we go all 1960s Phila. Eagles fans and fly a plane over the Rent with the "PP must go" or "Don't let George do it"?

Reaction Score
One thing is crystal clear. This administtration is unwilling to let this program regress. There is too much invested in both FBall and BBall --and they play too big a role in how we are perceived nationally (front porch) and as catalysts for CT Legislative funding. Susan was dealt a poor hand athletically. In BBall-- APR issues, no NCAA Tourney, last minute Calhoun departure (juggling legacy choice with better possibilities). In FBall, Hathaway mismanagment and mishandling of the important duties of his job--questionable PP hire without vetoes re OC/DC selections, conference realignment mess. But if there is good news, its that she moved quickly on Hathaway (and lots of others in non-sports) hired a bigger thinker in WM and will not hesitate to pull the trigger with an assassin's smile. As for PP and GD---No Bowl=No job. So I say let the pros on campus figure this out. I'm cautiously confident and can see a light at the end of the tunnel. My only (slight) fear is that it's an oncoming train.
Exactly. In Susan (and Warde), I trust.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
I hope that the line drawn in the sand is a bit firmer than merely a bowl game (although with UL & UC back to back, in order to achieve this PP will need to either win two in a row or beat a reasonably quality opponent down the stretch).

I do believe that SH is fully convinced that without a reasonable name brand n football we will not have much of a chance accomplishing her very ambitious goals for this university. I also believe that WM is the type of individual who wants to leave a positive, quality, permanent mark and the best way for him to leave this mark is to be the AD who helped bring UConn to national prominence in football.

I don't see either as being willing to drag their feet on this.

Reaction Score
When guys like Sportsart lose their enthusiasm, that's a REAL problem. I remember during the D Brown years standing with him, surveying the Rent, and saying "What's better than this? "And the answer was ---"Nothing!!"I'm not sure that conversation would sound the same today.
And that's the problem. It's the waning of excitment--and losing hope for much improvment. All the upside down flags in the world won't mean as much as a horde of big boosters (SEC style) banging on WM's door. What also helps is a drumbeat from whatever influential media we have out there, Dez, Jacobs, Silver, etc. Plus, if you are all respectful, I'll talk to Aunt Susan, lol. One thing is crystal clear. This administtration is unwilling to let this program regress. There is too much invested in both FBall and BBall --and they play too big a role in how we are perceived nationally (front porch) and as catalysts for CT Legislative funding. Susan was dealt a poor hand athletically. In BBall-- APR issues, no NCAA Tourney, last minute Calhoun departure (juggling legacy choice with better possibilities). In FBall, Hathaway mismanagment and mishandling of the important duties of his job--questionable PP hire without vetoes re OC/DC selections, conference realignment mess. But if there is good news, its that she moved quickly on Hathaway (and lots of others in non-sports) hired a bigger thinker in WM and will not hesitate to pull the trigger with an assassin's smile. As for PP and GD---No Bowl=No job. So I say let the pros on campus figure this out. I'm cautiously confident and can see a light at the end of the tunnel. My only (slight) fear is that it's an oncoming train.

This is the ultimate test. If they bungle this, I will start calling for all their heads.
Warde and Susan haven't done anything of note in terms of athletics except improve fundraising.

I know for certain Herbst is a great college president. We know little about Manuel. How they effect the athletic dept is still unknown. We have KO on a 7 month contract (fail), are stuck in the NBE (fail-not really their fault) and a flailing football program. They have two big situations to deal with. 6-8 months from now we will know where we stand on administration.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
Respectfully disagree, Fairfield. First I don't think DB would even care one way or another; he doesn't have major loyalty to PP. When this shakes out I would love for him to stay at least as DC but he's not going to have a problem finding a similar or better paying job.

The larger point is that the logo conveys much more than the words on it. It's a nice way of saying PP/GDL must go and showing support for the aggressive defense that is keeping us competitive . . . or should we go all 1960s Phila. Eagles fans and fly a plane over the Rent with the "PP must go" or "Don't let George do it"?

Your youth is showing as it was Giant fans (late 1970's) who flew the plane.

Whether DB does or does not have extended loyalty to PP he is a professional (has been doing this since at least the late 1970's). I understand your sentiment and I am in full agreement on your evaluation of the HC and the two coordinators. This is not a constructive method of showing our displeasure.

Reaction Score
Tbe one thing that will get HCPP fired the quickest is empty seats. Empty seats will be noticed by the admin.

I'm not saying not to go. But if the casual fan steps away the RENT might have lesss than 20K in attendance on a regular basis.

HCPP has taken a program that was coming off a win at ND followed by a BCS appearance and turned it into a MAC-esque experience.

Reaction Score
I upgraded to 4 season tickets 2 years ago. I will go back to 2 if we make no changes. I do not think I would opt out. While disgusted, they players deserve our support.

Reaction Score
Your youth is showing as it was Giant fans (late 1970's) who flew the plane.

Whether DB does or does not have extended loyalty to PP he is a professional (has been doing this since at least the late 1970's). I understand your sentiment and I am in full agreement on your evaluation of the HC and the two coordinators. This is not a constructive method of showing our displeasure.

Link to "Joe Must Go" plane incident in Philly in 1968

Happy that we're 99 percent simpatico on this, FCF. Going to have to agree to disagree on the t-shirt idea though. Only the few diehards will get the real meaning, it's the clever Simpsons-like rendering of DB that will get the attention.

Reaction Score
And as far as loosening academics, I am and will always be against lowering standards for athletes. I take pride in my bachelors and master's degrees from UConn and wouldn't want to see them sullied by letting in someone not dedicated to being a STUDENT-athlete.

You have to. Stop being silly. No one thinks your degree is less valuable because schools consider exceptional athletic ability as a factor in the admissions decision. Athletics is a factor. Diversity is a factor. Coming from a foreign country is a factor. Musical ability is a factor. Being a Kennedy is a factor. There are multiple factors. It's not just
SAT scores. If you don't realize this then you're not in tune with reality, and that degrades more than anything else. Some people think SAT scores should be the sole criterion. They should go to MIT then. A strong athletic program enhances a school, and makes mo betta students want to attend. Mo betta. C'mon man . . . . .

Reaction Score
Does Stanford relax their academics for football players? They seem to be handling it OK. Even Notre Dame these days.

If you're asking, yes they do. If you're making that point, then I apologize.
I mean, they don't allow anyone in. The kid has to have an interest in academics to go to Stanford or ND. It's not like FSU or Bama. But an athlete gets admissions points for that. They are willing to look at the whole picture. Everyone is.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Well, perhaps not in this thread, but in others, ppl have argued for SEC / Free shoes U type admissions. You described a limited amount of leeway, which I think is fine.

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
I would look to schools like Michigan and Wisconsin (both clearly ranked above us academically yet also capable of fielding quality football programs) and try to mirror their admissions policies for football players.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
we just made our standards even higher this summer for some reason..
Because the school gets better year by year and the standards get tougher for everyone year by year?

Reaction Score
I would look to schools like Michigan and Wisconsin (both clearly ranked above us academically yet also capable of fielding quality football programs) and try to mirror their admissions policies for football players.
FFC, I don't think we can mirror Mich and Wisc. We have to take more license than they do. They have the legacy advantage over us. And no, I'm not saying FSU and Oklahoma. Or WVA, btw.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom