Dear Juwan Durham: Please stay healthy | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Dear Juwan Durham: Please stay healthy

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
Durham reminds me of a younger and still developing version of Hilton Armstrong. I think he has potential to surpass what Hilton did at UConn if he stays healthy.

Reaction Score
He is a quick jumper, we have lost too many rebounds the last 3 years that could have been had with some quickness and intensity, and good hands.

Reaction Score
If you watch Durham's high school tape, he was very polished for a big guy at an early age.

He has some of the skinniest legs on the floor. And we all know his history of knee trouble. He needs to get stronger without getting much bigger so that he isn't asking his knees to do more or carry more weight.

In some ways his injuries this year may be a blessing. He hasn't been asked to do too much. He hasn't been over used or fatigued. He is building back his strength slowly over time.

Reaction Score
This offseason will be HUUUUGE for him (and the team). Need Durham, Enoch and Diarra to all step up among the big guys.....less so for Diarra since he hasn't been exposed to the college game much but an full year in the weight training program will really help.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
If you watch Durham's high school tape, he was very polished for a big guy at an early age.

He has some of the skinniest legs on the floor. And we all know his history of knee trouble. He needs to get stronger without getting much bigger so that he isn't asking his knees to do more or carry more weight.

In some ways his injuries this year may be a blessing. He hasn't been asked to do too much. He hasn't been over used or fatigued. He is building back his strength slowly over time.

It's tough for people to realize, but you can DO everything you need to do after a year off on 2 ACLs, but you won't FEEL YOU on the court for about 15-18 months.

Take a couple of explosive finishes, get up ok, feel fine, psychologically get confidence in some moves, and this kid will be rolling by next year.

Thankfully, he was a fairly polished player, so he isn't going into next year raw AND off injury.

I think people will be surprised, if he stays healthy, how much that made a difference in his game this season.

Reaction Score
The only similarity to hilton is body type other than that their games couldn't be more different. Durham is a stretch 4 has a sweet stroke and is more explosive. Hilton never had that and never even showed the glimpses of it being a possibility of being developed. Defensively I can see durham being similar if he gets stronger

Reaction Score

With proper weight lifting he will develop a stronger base and legs which will allow him to bulk up and carry more weight without it being bad for his knees

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
The only similarity to hilton is body type other than that their games couldn't be more different. Durham is a stretch 4 has a sweet stroke and is more explosive. Hilton never had that and never even showed the glimpses of it being a possibility of being developed. Defensively I can see durham being similar if he gets stronger

If you look at videos of HA, especially in his early years, he had the same superior speed and mobility for a big that Durham does.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
If you look at videos of HA, especially in his early years, he had the same superior speed and mobility for a big that Durham does.
Hilton never had body control, though. Once you knocked him off balance, he took a while (not as long as Amida) to gather himself and get back on track.

Durham, if he stays healthy, is just a much more fluid and balanced athlete.

Please stay healthy. Please stay healthy. Please stay healthy.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Hilton never had body control, though. Once you knocked him off balance, he took a while (not as long as Amida) to gather himself and get back on track.

Durham, if he stays healthy, is just a much more fluid and balanced athlete.

Please stay healthy. Please stay healthy. Please stay healthy.

Yes!

Nobody spent more time on his butt on the floor as a frosh than Hilton. If the wind blew he was on his butt. It was comical. Durham is light years ahead of that.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
I certainly see Juwan's upside as being higher than Hilton's in terms of skill level, but Hilton was a tweener until he gained weight and could compete with the big boys. I am always surprised to see Juwan playing the 3 along side of Kentan and Amida (or whomever is at the 4 and 5). I'm not sure how he resolves the "tweener" issue...I do hope he can gain some weight and stay quick/fast. But the main thing is that he comes to play with confidence and relative abandon. He has just shown us glimpses of what he could do....but he has been very tentative for the most part.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
I am always surprised to see Juwan playing the 3 along side of Kentan and Amida (or whomever is at the 4 and 5).
Pretty sure that's only happening because we're short-handed in the back court and on the wing. He'll spend 95% of his minutes at UConn as either the 4 or 5.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom