Deandre | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Deandre

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I don't agree. The worst possible scenario is not getting drafted and then bouncing around trying to convince an NBA team it should be interested in you. See: C.J. Fair, who was in a similar situation last year, elected to come back to school, didn't get drafted, recently fired his agent, and currently seems to be bouncing around pleading with NBA teams to let him come to training camp.

DD is going to Australia because an NBA team drafted him, is interested in him and wanted to maintain his rights but wanted him to get a year of seasoning as a 3 before trying to play in the League, and helped him get the Aussie gig.

I'd rather be DD.

Agreed. Pro basketball players, especially those on the fringe of the NBA, only have so many years of earning potential, and it's not many.

I have no idea what DeAndre's family needs. Neither do you. If its money, he could have earned far more by coming back and playing well. Perth and the Australian league are for guys who have no pedigree, who usually go undrafted, or very late second round. DeAndre could have played himself securely into the first round with a strong senior year. Comparing James Ennis to Deandre Daniels is a joke. Compare him to Joe Harris, who got a 2 year guarantee and will make atleast 400k plus a year.

At this rate, he would have been better off going undrafted and signed a 1+1 with a premier league in Europe. If its about money, he would have earned more that way. Again, for Deandre and his family, this is the worst possible scenario.

What are you saying with Joe Harris? That if DeAndre had gone back to school and then was selected 4 picks higher his NBA team would sign him to a contract? What? There are no guarantees when predicting the future. At the time he had to make a decision, he was a projected late first-rounder in the mocks. He had all the buzz in the world coming off the National Championship. He's a coveted/trendy stretch four. The iron was hot. It's impossible to say, but I don't think it would be getting hotter as he got older (age 23 on draft day next year).

Reaction Score
I just dont like that he'll be playing for the wildcats of all team names.... Hope his time is short there.

Reaction Score
let's see where cj fair ends up before we judge.

Why? What would the argument be then, that DD would have been better off staying in school and going undrafted?

Reaction Score
Why? What would the argument be then, that DD would have been better off staying in school and going undrafted?
if we are talking strictly about money, dd could earn far more negotiating his own deal with a premier european league. we also have no idea what the raptors true intentions are. currently, they hold his rights at no cost. next year is no guarantee in any way.

how much did jerome dyson sign for this year in italy?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
ask Shabazz Napier. compare him to that kind of UConn student. he is in a field that most UConn students have no shot in.

I agree, that for a guy like Tyler Olander, this a great opportunity to get compensated well for playing a game you love. This is simply not the case with Deandre. He is a borderline first round talent!!!

Shabazz barely made it into the first round, on the strength of being the best player on a NC team. Deandre, if we are honest, is a tease. He hasn't played well consistently enough. He started the season poorly, same as last year. He needs time in the weight room, and to understand what is required of him night in and night out. I think this will be good for him.

Reaction Score
If you want a similar tale at a similar position - look at Sticks. On the heels of a Final Four, he might have had some interest based on his raw potential. He came back, which seemed like the right move, and even though he improved some of his skills (better three-point shooter with a very effective mid-range bank shot), the team struggled and he was one of the last guys picked and got cut. From there, injuries have stopped him from ever getting a decent contract.

There's simply no guarantee that the extra year makes you a better prospect late in your career. Many times, you just get a year older. There are examples of both things happening (Shabazz improved his stock, Khalid didn't) so there's no definitive right answer that applies to everyone, but ultimately if you feel you've accomplished everything you want in college and are ready for the next move, then it can be self-destructive to stick around. You may be happier making good money in Australia, with an NBA team putting you in their long term plans than you would attending classes at 9 am and with a future still uncertain.

Reaction Score
I'm an outspoken and oft-criticized proponent of kids staying in school. However in Deandre's case given his age, winning the national championship and development of his game I still believe he made the right decision to come out. Where a guy gets drafted is the best indication of his draft value. Yes this draft was stacked, but not after say 1-20. The next logical step for Deandre's game is to prove himself against similarly sized pro players. He's got a good shot at becoming an NBA player and will definitely be able to earn a good living playing basketball somewhere.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
So college kid leaves school with no degree and lands a job in an exotic locale with a starting salary of $163,000 a year. I wonder how many other UConn students would look at that as a negative?
I was thinking about this as well. If someone offered me the opportunity to work in my chosen career for 6 figures my junior year, it would have been tough to turn down. Still, I don't know that this is the optimal carreer path for DD. I think he would benefited from staying a year if he had shown himself consistent productivity.

Reaction Score
So college kid leaves school with no degree and lands a job in an exotic locale with a starting salary of $163,000 a year. I wonder how many other UConn students would look at that as a negative?

It's not a "starting salary" of $163k. That's the maximum allowed in that league.

Reaction Score
If you like to surf (which I'm sure DD doesn't), south west Australia is the Mecca. Also, great wine country down there. Lot's of nice reefs in the North West. Tons to do if you are an outdoors sort of person. However, I doubt this all applies to DD. And yes, Perth is the most isolated city in the world.
Reality alert
DD is a better player than Sticks was. Sticks was a great athlete but lacked basic BB skills. He also lacked the confidence or desire to work on his game as he relied on that great athletic ability. In retrospect JC might not have been the best fit for him.
DD actually improved his shot ,handle and confidence while at UConn and discovered his rebounding instincts.
But face it unless your LBJ, or some other similarly gifted player ,how hard you work is going to determine success at the next level.
I remember the great Bill Russell in an interview being critical of those that attributed his success to his race and height.
He preferred to attribute his success to the 5 to 6 hours ,7 days a week ,spent working on his game,from the time he was 12.

Reaction Score
If the raptors didn't draft him, another team would have drafted DD somewhere in the 2nd round and probably would have rewarded him a contract. thing is, raptors have a lot of players ( specifically wings with the addition of james johnson ), so they really don't have the time to be paying deandre this year for a spot on the roster. masai should have moved the 2nd round pick with his first to move up and draft ennis. he relaxed cause he thought ennis would drop to 20, then he would have taken a chance on bruno at 37.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I remember the great Bill Russell in an interview being critical of those that attributed his success to his race and height.

I love the way his first names are always "The Great"

Reaction Score
I love the way his first names are always "The Great"
It's not a title I give lightly.it's often overused.But:
Two NCAA titles, Captain of a Gold Medal winning Olympic team,
11 NBA titles, as a player,including 8 in a row.
2 more as a coach
A presidential medal
A giant in the civil rights movement.
I'm not sure if "great"my be understated in his case.

Reaction Score
if we are talking strictly about money, dd could earn far more negotiating his own deal with a premier european league. we also have no idea what the raptors true intentions are. currently, they hold his rights at no cost. next year is no guarantee in any way.

How is that you know how much money Daniels could have been paid in Europe? Why are you assuming a player stashed overseas by an NBA team is in a worse position from a career perspective than a player who goes overseas based on pure lack of NBA interest/opportunity?

Reaction Score
How is that you know how much money Daniels could have been paid in Europe? Why are you assuming a player stashed overseas by an NBA team is in a worse position from a career perspective than a player who goes overseas based on pure lack of NBA interest/opportunity?

Joe Harris, who was selected 33rd, signed a 2year guaranteed deal at 850k per.
Brandon Triche, who went undrafted last year, was paid 125k to play in Italy's second division.
Nick Calathes signed a 3year, 2.4million (net) deal in Greece
Deandre Daniels was selected 37th and will get 150k in Australia?

How is this not the worst case scenario for DD? Lets assume DD returned for his senior year. If he played well and consistent, he would most likely have catapulted into the first round and locked in 2 million in guaranteed money. If not, he still would most likely be considered a top tier European player earning 4-800k a year(net). At worst, the opportunity to play in Perth Australia for 150k would surely still be available to him.

To me, for some one with the upside of DD, playing in Australia for what amounts to the same amount as low-mid level european money(tyler olander money) is a complete disaster. Especially with a year of eligibility and what could have been. In so many ways, he would have been better off going undrafted, playing on any summer league roster he chose for exposure, then playing in Italy, Turkey, or Spain.

Reaction Score
So it would be better to stay in school and make no money and hope that you get drafted in the first round and get a guaranteed deal than to get drafted in the second round, get stashed overseas making less than the NBA league minimum and hope that the team retaining your rights wants to bring you back at some point? Because in the first scenario, you are foregoing all money right away in the hopes of a bigger payday in the future, but in the second scenario you are foregoing some money right away in the hopes of a bigger payday in the future?

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
If you want a similar tale at a similar position - look at Sticks. On the heels of a Final Four, he might have had some interest based on his raw potential. He came back, which seemed like the right move, and even though he improved some of his skills (better three-point shooter with a very effective mid-range bank shot), the team struggled and he was one of the last guys picked and got cut. From there, injuries have stopped him from ever getting a decent contract.

There's simply no guarantee that the extra year makes you a better prospect late in your career. Many times, you just get a year older. There are examples of both things happening (Shabazz improved his stock, Khalid didn't) so there's no definitive right answer that applies to everyone, but ultimately if you feel you've accomplished everything you want in college and are ready for the next move, then it can be self-destructive to stick around. You may be happier making good money in Australia, with an NBA team putting you in their long term plans than you would attending classes at 9 am and with a future still uncertain.
I certainly understand your argument and can see its validity for the individual players.
But, college basketball is, by far, my favorite spectator sport & it would really suck if in addition to all the NBA prospects all the players who have borderline sufficient talent to play overseas become one-and-dones. The overall quality of team play would regress substantially.

IMO, a big part of what makes college basketball so enjoyable is watching the players develop and grow together as a team over time. It is really cool to watch NG and Bazz as frosh and then see their performance this year.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Reality alert
DD is a better player than Sticks was. Sticks was a great athlete but lacked basic BB skills. He also lacked the confidence or desire to work on his game as he relied on that great athletic ability. In retrospect JC might not have been the best fit for him.
DD actually improved his shot ,handle and confidence while at UConn and discovered his rebounding instincts.
But face it unless your LBJ, or some other similarly gifted player ,how hard you work is going to determine success at the next level.
He preferred to attribute his success to the 5 to 6 hours ,7 days a week ,spent working on his game,from the time he was 12.

uh, I didn't say anything about Sticks. Just that Perth has some nice outdoorsy stuff to do.

Reaction Score
can't copy + paste from my phone but Paxton tweeted that the Raptors GM chose Australia for him to play, seems clear to me they want him featured, he wouldn't get that type of role on a higher level Euro club.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
CallMeBruce said:
No way Bells is bigger than Wai Mea, bro.
Bells is actually in South Australia. Ask Bodhi.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
if we are talking strictly about money, dd could earn far more negotiating his own deal with a premier european league. we also have no idea what the raptors true intentions are. currently, they hold his rights at no cost. next year is no guarantee in any wa

I'd be surprised if DD could get enough minutes in Europe.

And remember the kid is old as hell. He'd probably have been a 2nd rounder next year based on age alone.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
can't copy + paste from my phone but Paxton tweeted that the Raptors GM chose Australia for him to play, seems clear to me they want him featured, he wouldn't get that type of role on a higher level Euro club.

I thought that would have been clear from the get go, but what do I know?

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
I wonder if he'll explore the coral reefs in his downtime. I've always wanted to see a nudibranch in the wild.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
It's not a title I give lightly.it's often overused.But:
Two NCAA titles, Captain of a Gold Medal winning Olympic team,
11 NBA titles, as a player,including 8 in a row.
2 more as a coach
A presidential medal
A giant in the civil rights movement.
I'm not sure if "great"my be understated in his case.

No disagreement here. It is very fitting and I love that he is The Great Bill Russel pretty much anytime you here his name, Not even MJ has that moniker,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom