Deandre | The Boneyard

Deandre

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
How often does this happen in the NBA? and do the players end up in the NBA the following year? I know he'll be making some decent cash but isn't the d league better for getting in the bigs?

Reaction Score
Give him a chance to work on his handle and get a little more muscle

Reaction Score
How often does this happen in the NBA? and do the players end up in the NBA the following year? I know he'll be making some decent cash but isn't the d league better for getting in the bigs?

it happened with the guy he's replacing, James Ennis. Miami acquired his rights last year in a draft day trade, he went to Australia and played well, now he's going to be on their roster this year.

Reaction Score
Perth is a pretty nice place to spend a year if you have to go overseas to play. They speak the same language and the culture is more similar to the U.S. than going to most other places. Hopefully it works out and he's in the NBA next year.

Reaction Score
The D league is worse than most foreign leagues. It is literally like single A baseball with rundown buses, cheap motels and most players on <50K salaries. And quality of play is less about development but more about each player desperate to get his shot in the league. Its good for playing time but that's about it.

But lastly and perhaps I should have led wit this, the Raptors don't even have a D-league affiliate.

Reaction Score
Perth is a pretty nice place to spend a year if you have to go overseas to play. They speak the same language and the culture is more similar to the U.S. than going to most other places. Hopefully it works out and he's in the NBA next year.
Perth is pretty far from the other big cities. It's the Wild West.
They must do some serious traveling.
Perth to Sydney is four hours by jet.
I imagine Melbourne would be about the same. It's almost like Phoenix to NY

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

Plus the weather pretty much perfect. 300+ days of sunshine a year. Beaches and babes galore. That's always nice.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
The D league is worse than most foreign leagues. It is literally like single A baseball with rundown buses, cheap motels and most players on <50K salaries. And quality of play is less about development but more about each player desperate to get his shot in the league. Its good for playing time but that's about it.

But lastly and perhaps I should have led wit this, the Raptors don't even have a D-league affiliate.

I'm not disagreeing with any of that, but I will say that it doesn't have to be that way.

Reaction Score
When he declared for the draft what are the chances he thought he'd be playing in the middle of nowhere? This is a huge disappointment.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I hope they pay for housing because it is one of the most expensive cities to rent a flat in the world.

Reaction Score
Do the Raptors know Perth is not in Europe, if they want to season DeAndre in "Europe" for a year? While Perth may be nice, there's nothing else in Western Australia. All other major cities are on the eastern side of Australia. However, he'll probably rack up some serious air miles on Qantas!

Reaction Score
How strong is the Australian league? Would think pretty weak compared to the ones affiliated to the EuroLeague championship (e.g. Spain, Italy, Israel, Greece).

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
There are definitely worse places for him to land. English-speaking country, good salary, and the chance to really kick some behind. Australia's league has some former D-I players, and occasionally attracts a few bigger names (former Pitt Panther and NBA vet Sam Young comes to mind), but compared to most of the league DeAndre should be one of the more skilled guys on the court. Heck, Ennis was a 6-7 JUCO transfer from Long Beach State and he managed to rack up 21 and 7; someone of DeAndre's size, skill level, and pedigree should be able to do quite nicely.

Reaction Score
There are definitely worse places for him to land. English-speaking country, good salary, and the chance to really kick some behind. Australia's league has some former D-I players, and occasionally attracts a few bigger names (former Pitt Panther and NBA vet Sam Young comes to mind), but compared to most of the league DeAndre should be one of the more skilled guys on the court. Heck, Ennis was a 6-7 JUCO transfer from Long Beach State and he managed to rack up 21 and 7; someone of DeAndre's size, skill level, and pedigree should be able to do quite nicely.

I'm not so sure about the "good salary" part, since the salary cap is only $1 million and the individual salary limit is $175,000, and that's all in Kangaroo Bucks, so the individual salary limit is more like $163,000. He should tear it up, though, and hopefully get himself to a better league next season.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
When he declared for the draft what are the chances he thought he'd be playing in the middle of nowhere? This is a huge disappointment.

I suspect that Daniels knew there was s good chance he would not be on an NBA roster to begin the season. I know posters think that a player's primary responsibility is to UConn, but Daniels may have just wanted to move on with his life.

Reaction Score
I suspect that Daniels knew there was s good chance he would not be on an NBA roster to begin the season. I know posters think that a player's primary responsibility is to UConn, but Daniels may have just wanted to move on with his life.
People can spin this any way they want. The fact is that the opportunity to make 150k in Perth Australia would have been there next year as well. Simple risk/reward, Deandre would have benefited by coming back to UConn and trying to catapult into the first round. His decision financially speaking was a mistake. For a potential first round talent, this is the worst possible scenario.

Reaction Score
Heck, Ennis was a 6-7 JUCO transfer from Long Beach State and he managed to rack up 21 and 7.

Well, Ennis also was good enough to sign a guaranteed contract with the Heat so I don't think you should undersell him like it seems you are doing.

I bet the Raptors wanted Deandre to go to a good (but not great) league so he could be one of the featured players. He will gain confidence and will get a lot more shot opportunities than if he was just another guy on a good Euro team.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Do the Raptors know Perth is not in Europe, if they want to season DeAndre in "Europe" for a year? While Perth may be nice, there's nothing else in Western Australia. All other major cities are on the eastern side of Australia. However, he'll probably rack up some serious air miles on Qantas!

If you like to surf (which I'm sure DD doesn't), south west Australia is the Mecca. Also, great wine country down there. Lot's of nice reefs in the North West. Tons to do if you are an outdoors sort of person. However, I doubt this all applies to DD. And yes, Perth is the most isolated city in the world.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
People can spin this any way they want. The fact is that the opportunity to make 150k in Perth Australia would have been there next year as well. Simple risk/reward, Deandre would have benefited by coming back to UConn and trying to catapult into the first round. His decision financially speaking was a mistake. For a potential first round talent, this is the worst possible scenario.

How do you know his family didn't really need the money ASAP? They do not come from a great place. It's not all about DD.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I'm not so sure about the "good salary" part, since the salary cap is only $1 million and the individual salary limit is $175,000, and that's all in Kangaroo Bucks, so the individual salary limit is more like $163,000. He should tear it up, though, and hopefully get himself to a better league next season.

So college kid leaves school with no degree and lands a job in an exotic locale with a starting salary of $163,000 a year. I wonder how many other UConn students would look at that as a negative?

Reaction Score
How do you know his family didn't really need the money ASAP? They do not come from a great place. It's not all about DD.
I have no idea what DeAndre's family needs. Neither do you. If its money, he could have earned far more by coming back and playing well. Perth and the Australian league are for guys who have no pedigree, who usually go undrafted, or very late second round. DeAndre could have played himself securely into the first round with a strong senior year. Comparing James Ennis to Deandre Daniels is a joke. Compare him to Joe Harris, who got a 2 year guarantee and will make atleast 400k plus a year.

At this rate, he would have been better off going undrafted and signed a 1+1 with a premier league in Europe. If its about money, he would have earned more that way. Again, for Deandre and his family, this is the worst possible scenario.

Reaction Score
So college kid leaves school with no degree and lands a job in an exotic locale with a starting salary of $163,000 a year. I wonder how many other UConn students would look at that as a negative?
ask Shabazz Napier. compare him to that kind of UConn student. he is in a field that most UConn students have no shot in.

I agree, that for a guy like Tyler Olander, this a great opportunity to get compensated well for playing a game you love. This is simply not the case with Deandre. He is a borderline first round talent!!!

Reaction Score

I don't agree. The worst possible scenario is not getting drafted and then bouncing around trying to convince an NBA team it should be interested in you. See: C.J. Fair, who was in a similar situation last year, elected to come back to school, didn't get drafted, recently fired his agent, and currently seems to be bouncing around pleading with NBA teams to let him come to training camp.

DD is going to Australia because an NBA team drafted him, is interested in him and wanted to maintain his rights but wanted him to get a year of seasoning as a 3 before trying to play in the League, and helped him get the Aussie gig.

I'd rather be DD.

Reaction Score
I don't agree. The worst possible scenario is not getting drafted and then bouncing around trying to convince an NBA team it should be interested in you. See: C.J. Fair, who was in a similar situation last year, elected to come back to school, didn't get drafted, recently fired his agent, and currently seems to be bouncing around pleading with NBA teams to let him come to training camp.

DD is going to Australia because an NBA team drafted him, is interested in him and wanted to maintain his rights but wanted him to get a year of seasoning as a 3 before trying to play in the League, and helped him get the Aussie gig.

I'd rather be DD.
let's see where cj fair ends up before we judge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom