Deandre Daniels Is Already Better Than Rs. | The Boneyard

Deandre Daniels Is Already Better Than Rs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
My first time seeing DeAndre in game action and all I can say is wow. This kid is incredibly talented, don't see a flaw in his game. He handles the ball, he is like the energizer bunn y running the court, he's smooth, athletic and looks like Durant when he raises up for outside shots.

Reaction Score
He may be better offensively...But Roscoe is still a beast on the boards and on defense.

DD is gonna be a stud, but lets wait until he plays against some real competition before we say he's clearly better than Roscoe. Overall, I think they both bring different things to the floor, so its a great problem to have.

Reaction Score
Once DD signed I didn't think it would be possible that he would start over RS but I think having DD in there at the 3 next to Lamb just makes the team much more dynamic offensively. Two guys with very similar skillsets side by side would give Shabazz more options to pass it to on offense and it also gives the team two guys that can create their own offense or drain outside shots when a shot clock is running out. RS just looks like a 4 out there right now, besides his outside shot(which I figure will be there during the season), there just isn't alot there that says "wing" on offense.

Reaction Score
Roscoe was the starting SF on the national championship team. He will start against Columbia. The sky is blue.

Reaction Score
Deandre is so much better then Roscoe in the offensive end. Roscoe was missing rebounds today and was not impressive at all today.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
RS and DD are phyically very similar but their games are so different.

I see RS keeping his minutes about what they were last year, maybe a few less but he will be valuable to this team. Starting doesn't really matter.

DD does need to see the floor. It would be nice if we could have DD JL and RS on the floor 1-3 (talk about LENGTH), but i'm not so sure about the ball-handling.

Reaction Score
Eh, tough to call Daniels better based on two exhibition games against severely undermatched opponents. I think people forget how good a defender Roscoe is at both the 3 and the 4, and he's an excellent (and gritty) rebounder as well. If he can become a dependable set shooter, then he's perfect for this team.

But man, Daniels is one heck of a talent offensively. His shot and handle are smooth as a guard, and his passing is pretty damn good for a wing. He's most likely going to hit rough patches and land himself in Calhoun's dog house once or twice, but what a threat UConn has with him coming off the bench.

(His and Roscoe's games also complement each other very well, which makes me think we'll see them play together a bit this season.)

Reaction Score
Roscoe's the type of guy who probably isn't going to shine in exhibition games, because he's more of a grit and toughness guy. He'll stick his nose in there and get you a big rebound, block a shot, defend any position 3-4, etc. Deandre definitely looks more polished offensively but Roscoe will no doubt get his minutes.

Reaction Score
Nope, Deandre Daniels is better offensively then Roscoe. Better passer, better scorer. Good enough on defense for him to start. Not forgetting what RS did last year with his stellar defense but that doesn't take away how good DD is. I'm glad we have both on my team with all that said.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Eh, tough to call Daniels better based on two exhibition games against severely undermatched opponents. I think people forget how good a defender Roscoe is at both the 3 and the 4, and he's an excellent (and gritty) rebounder as well. If he can become a dependable set shooter, then he's perfect for this team.

But man, Daniels is one heck of a talent offensively. His shot and handle are smooth as a guard, and his passing is pretty damn good for a wing. He's most likely going to hit rough patches and land himself in Calhoun's dog house once or twice, but what a threat UConn has with him coming off the bench.

(His and Roscoe's games also complement each other very well, which makes me think we'll see them play together a bit this season.)
+1

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
BOTH will need the pg to make them look good... putting the ball in the right places and depending on if any plays are called for them

Reaction Score
Nope, Deandre Daniels is better offensively then Roscoe. Better passer, better scorer. Good enough on defense for him to start. Not forgetting what RS did last year with his stellar defense but that doesn't take away how good DD is. I'm glad we have both on my team with all that said.

I would reserve judgement until DD faces legit competition. You don't know how DD will react against a pressure pack game and/or a hostile crowd. We all know Roscoe can thrive in that setting. Today DD made his shots. Roscoe did not do anything glaringly wrong. His first 2 rebounds was an unfortunate occurrence. Both times he had to fight against his own teammate (Olander and Drummond) for the rebound and ended up having the ball go out of bounds. It was hard for RS to get into the flow but he kept aggressive and played defense. DD played some D but missed some assignments in the perimeter.

It's a good problem to have though choosing between DD and RS but I'd still start RS.

Reaction Score
I think it's going to be a pretty fluid situation, and their minutes are going to be based on matchups, game situation, hot hand, etc. No real sense in saying one should start over another.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
Another Marcus Johnson?

I've also got a good feeling about Mr D but this is pickup ball.

Reaction Score
I read comparisons and even when i first saw DD the first thing that came to mind was tracy mcgrady. it doesnt surprise me hes ahead of RS offensively but he is nowhere near RS in toughness and and experience which is invaluable. i dont believe DD will start at sf anytime soon unless RS really struggles and DD plays out of this world. that being said great problem to have.

Reaction Score
Ridiculous post. After two games against lousy competition, DD hits some open shots and he's better than a guy who was invaluable in the national championship run and one of the best defenders in the Big East. Silly. Silly. Silly.

C

Chief00

I don't know why it has to be mutually exclusive. At some point they will need rs's defense and rebounding. I think Daniels could one day be an NBA lottery pick but for now I like him coming off the bench. You can put him at a 2 or a 3. He is an excellent shooter runs the court very well. Gets back on defense, etc. He also showed an ability to explode going to the hoop today twice. This kid has an excellent game - not many flaws for such a young player. KO hit home runs with Daniels and Drummond this summer. Unbelievably talented kids.

Reaction Score
They're both going to play about 25 minutes a game this year. Who cares who starts. You can compliment Daniels without bashing Roscoe. They're different players.

Reaction Score
Roscoe starts, he deserves that respect. However you have to love the confidence Daniels plays with. He is incredibly fast down the court, can catch and finish at full speed and barely break a sweat. Once their fast break gets clicking, it'll be nice to have a plethora of good wings.
Gotta love Deandre's shot as well. Nice form.
Got to shout out to the walk-on Brendan Allen as well, he looked a lot more with it on the offensive sets today and showed some good handle.

Reaction Score
You can compliment Daniels without bashing Roscoe.

I couldn't agree MORE!!! Look people, the players, their families and friends read these boards. I have no problem pointing out a player's weaknesses and mistakes. Everyone is imperfect and has room for improvement. I don't like blanket statements about a player's abilities nor do I like to see people speculate on which player is better than another or who should start. These kids have it tough enough without a bunch of overweight messageboarders creating more dissention.

Having said that, in general, I have always liked the idea of giving veterans the start in a game even if they end up playing fewer minutes. It is a good move from a psychology standpoint. And, NO, that doesn't mean starting a senior walkon just because he is a senior.

Reaction Score
I don't see anybody bashing Roscoe Smith here. Only time will tell who the better player is, but as of right now, it seems clear to me that Deandre is more advanced offensively while Roscoe Smith is stronger and maybe a little bit tougher. I would start Roscoe for at least the first few games, but no reason to think Deandre couldn't give him a run for his money sometime soon. The important thing though, is that both will get their minutes and both will play significant roles.

Reaction Score
JC praised DD defense, but focusing on that Roscoe was a better defender and a better rebounder. He is stuck in a no man's land though. DD gives us explosive offense and 80% of RS' defense. RS is a better 4 than a 3, but we are really deep at 4. I wouldn't mind if they split time 25/15 at the 3 with RS getting additional 10 minutes at the 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom