Deandre Daniels Is Already Better Than Rs. | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Deandre Daniels Is Already Better Than Rs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Yes it is and, even more importantly, it is UNWISE to compare CURRENT players. Say he had trouble holding onto the ball and looked unfocused if you want but leave the comparison to other current players out of it. NO GOOD CAN COME OF IT!!!!! Calhoun will start and play who he wants to and nothing anyone says here will make a difference. If you want to say that a certain player should start or play more, in your opinion, that's fine but to say specifically what other player should be negatively impacted is, simply, negative. Hell, if you wanted to say that DD should play more and Roscoe needs to get focused and be stronger with the ball in the same posting is probably fine. People just need to stop pitting the current players against each other. NO GOOD CAN COME OF IT!!!!

Probably fine? Why don't you make a freakin' decision before you post your stupid rules. Myself, I think it's OK to make an observation regarding players that doesn't fit the conventional wisdom.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
You can both pipe down now and not only will we all be happier, we'll like you better.

DieHardHusky

The Blue Guy
Reaction Score
He just might start. Either way, it's great to see what he's been able to do in the limited sample size in these exhibitions.

Reaction Score
Roscoe Smith, in one short year, has already merited inclusion in vaunted UConn lore, high up on the mountain, among the greats. He committed to UConn despite a cacophony of fools counseling him to look elsewhere. He played a position that is not his natural position and that is likely not the position that will garner him the most pro looks. He played against bigger men, regularly. He bled for us. He fought as hard as any, and I include Kemba in the group of two to which he belongs. He never said die, and without him, without doubt, we do not have a third National Championship banner hanging in Gampel on Friday.

Remember yourselves.

Show some respect.

caw

Reaction Score
Roscoe Smith, in one short year, has already merited inclusion in vaunted UConn lore, high up on the mountain, among the greats. He committed to UConn despite a cacophony of fools counseling him to look elsewhere. He played a position that is not his natural position and that is likely not the position that will garner him the most pro looks. He played against bigger men, regularly. He bled for us. He fought as hard as any, and I include Kemba in the group of two to which he belongs. He never said die, and without him, without doubt, we do not have a third National Championship banner hanging in Gampel on Friday.

Remember yourselves.

Show some respect.

DD may be great, but I like this.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score

Remember yourselves.

Show some respect.
Slick scorers are fun to have - warriors win championships!

Reaction Score

Remember yourselves.

Show some respect.
60923250.jpg

Deandre is nice though.

Reaction Score
How about this for analysis - I think that this years sophomores have made the biggest 1-year PHYSICAL strides that i've seen during the calhoun years. Shabazz, Lamb, 'Scoe, Olander, and Wolf have all made SIGNIFICANT changes in their body/fitness from last year. Whether its bulking up (Bazz, JL, 'Scoe, TO) or slimming down(Wolf), the commitment is there. I say this on the board because 'Scoe is much, much stronger this year, less gangly. I love his role on this team as a defender/spot up shooter/rebounder and think he is an integral part of our success. You don't need 5 scorers on the floor. Someone has to throw them bows. 'Scoes the man for the job. Defensive Coordinator baby!

Reaction Score
Agreed, big difference in the size of Jeremy and Shabazz's arms and definition this year, Roscoe actually looks physically like a PF, and Niels & Tyler look much bigger and filled out compared to a year ago. It seemed like after the 09-10 season Calhoun made it a point in the media to stress how strength & conditioning was going to be a major emphasis and it shows in the players.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Roscoe is struggling now. The coach benched him, and he's playing on eggshells. Are we supposed to pretend it isn't so? Last year was awesome but once the banner is raised it's a new season.

Reaction Score
Roscoe is struggling now. The coach benched him, and he's playing on eggshells. Are we supposed to pretend it isn't so? Last year was awesome but once the banner is raised it's a new season.

He was benched for missing class. I agree that its obvious DD is a more polished offensive player but leave it at that. No need to exaggerate Roscoe's struggles when they are 2 games into the exhibition season, w/ the kid being benched for the majority of one game due to academics.

Reaction Score

Oy vey. The kid got benched for a half for skipping class, and they've played 2 high school teams. Jamaal Trice looked pretty good in his first exhibition game too. Every year with this.

Reaction Score
He should start.
I think DD looked great, and I thought he does more than RS. He looked like a smoother shooter, shot blocker, ect. 1 thing I noticed was when after he closed out a shooter on the wing, instead of boxing him out he would leak out on the break. This works well against cw post, but not the Big East. A long rebound and that player gets an easy 2nd look. Sometimes players who are ultra athletes don't do the fundamentals. I noticed Lamb, RD, DD, AD, all of them miss timing jumps on rebounds and not caring about the other team. 1 player, Wolf, took his man out every time, so you could tell he was given a good practice habits growing up. Basketball is also about mismatches, and the 1 time they set a pick on Wolfs man so he had a shorter guy on him and he curled to the hoop he scored. I am nowhere suggesting he plays a lot, but smart teams do those things.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
The season is fully under way. I thought there were a lot of good points raised in this thread. When it comes down to it, if I take the sum total of all the comments, I think we get a pretty well rounded understanding of these two players up to this point in time. And we got a wonderful overview of the perspectives of fans regarding this issue.

At least it is refreshing to argue with one another over a bounty of riches as opposed to things gone wrong. And boy do we love to argue our points of view.

Reaction Score
I don't think the coach benched him because of play. It was because of some team rule he violated.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
I don't think the coach benched him because of play. It was because of some team rule he violated.
He cut a class.

Reaction Score
DD's upside on offense may be higher than RS...but I like RS toughness and defense...let DD and RB (when eligible) come off bench for offensive sparks...

Reaction Score
I agree it's kind of silly to already be inserting Daniels in the starting lineup over Roscoe but saying Trice looked very good in exhibition games is false, Trice and Darius Smith looked like they didn't belong from the first time they stepped on the court at UConn. Comparing Daniels to Trice is beyond stupid.

Reaction Score

I have no problem with this post. You made an obervation, stated an opinion and even proposed why it might be so. Yes, it is a criticism, but you did not bring any other players into it. Just wanted to throw that out there....

ctchamps

Reaction Score
I have no problem with this post. You made an obervation, stated an opinion and even proposed why it might be so. Yes, it is a criticism, but you did not bring any other players into it. Just wanted to throw that out there....
In another thread he compared me to Spock. Does that count against him.

Reaction Score
remember DD was ranked about #10 in his class depending on service. If AD wasn't here DD would be one of our top rated recruits EVER!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom