DeAndre Daniels is a stud but he has one major flaw. | The Boneyard

DeAndre Daniels is a stud but he has one major flaw.

Status
Not open for further replies.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
His passing ability. Dem passes looked awfully soft...

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
They were tentative passes. JC wanted him not to just keep chucking threes. These kids are caught between what they would do reflexly and what JC wants them to do. This is JC's strength. He knows the players strengths and the tendency of players to just be one dimensional. He wants his players to develop more of their skills.

This is why UConn teams, particularly young teams, don't blow out their early opponents. JC is thinking of the future and wants the kids to develop different things now.

He's called off the fast break the last two games because he wants the team to work on the half court game.

DD has game. I expect his passes will improve pretty quickly. Hopefully I'm correct.

Reaction Score
His one major flaw is that he won't be here for four years. Kid has tons of game.

Reaction Score
His one major flaw is that he won't be here for four years. Kid has tons of game.

hopefully he is here next year seeing that Lamb and AD will be gone after this year but they are all playing together this year :D

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
i think passing is fine, once he is able to dribble at someone he'll be a monstar

Reaction Score
everytime he shoots i think its gonna splash through the net. smooth smooth smooth. Not an amazing athlete a little stiff in the hips in terms of agility, but so skilled.

Announcer used a term tonight that is very appropriate: instinctive.

When you have a kid who is big, skilled, athletic, savvy, and instinctive, that is all you can ask for.

we have a good one.

Reaction Score
Although I will say, it hurts my soul a little watching 'Scoe sulk on the bench. He sees the writing on the wall and knows Daniels is better than him. But man, he's gotta get his head on strait cuz we need our defensive coordinator back!

Reaction Score
His 3 ball is smooth and effortless. I can see him having some monster games this year where he has his stroke going and drops a half dozen 3s or more.

Reaction Score
Daniels is a stud it's easy to see. It looks to me like Roscoe is just pressing, trying to do too much. He needs to just play his game, Roscoe is an extremely important piece to the puzzle.

Reaction Score
Daniels is a stud it's easy to see. It looks to me like Roscoe is just pressing, trying to do too much. He needs to just play his game, Roscoe is an extremely important piece to the puzzle.

absolutely agree with this. RS needs to play his game and not try to be something hes not. DD is a big time talent and i agree that at this point as a frosh hes batter than jeremy was last year at the same time. if this kid stays in the starting lineup the rest of the season hes going to be big time by march. he put up 15 and 7 today hustled and played defense in his first start. whats most impressive is he doesnt make alot of mistakes on the court that you see most freshmen make. that being said he does need to work on his passing because that seems to be the weakest part of his game but i think it has to do with him not being sure where to go with the ball due to still learning the offense.

Reaction Score
He doesnt elevate a ton on his jump shot. However hes so tall for a wing player and has a high release he can get it off. He cant exactly take anyone off the dribble one on one yet either. I think once his handle improves he becomes a stud. Adding strength is a must too.

Reaction Score
Deandre should be the poster child for shooting technique, his form is textbook. His past coaches deserve some credit. I like his confidence too, it means a lot in big games.

Reaction Score
Feel the same about Scoe and have posted this before. Love the guy and what he brought to the table last year. Needs to get over it and not sulk, hard to say what is in his head and I'm sure the coaches understand the situation and talk to him. Yes we need him , we need the Roscoe of last year.

Reaction Score
Not an amazing athlete a little stiff in the hips in terms of agility . . .
Funny - I see this too. He seems to have a slight bend in the his and elbows and plays like that - not a lot of torquing and shoulder/hip rotation.
I'm ok with that. Kid is very good.

Fact is, at UConn, we're used to watching kids grow and develop under JC. We've rarely had the pleasure of a fairly finished product walking in.

Reaction Score
Hardly a finished product, but oh what talent is there and ready for a bit of JC's shaping. With the proper attitude which he appears to have, he'll be a wonderful addition to the talented group there. I also suspect Roscoe is a relatively mature young man and will gradually adapt and appreciate his true role. He will realize his value to this team. We're only a few games and weeks into this team's molding process. Better things yet to come!!

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
The thing about DD that i like the most... no hesitation. Right when he gets the ball, he knows what he's doing with it if he's open. And everyone knows he can stroke it.

Can't wait to see him develop the rest of his game as the year goes on.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
The thing about DD that i like the most... no hesitation. Right when he gets the ball, he knows what he's doing with it if he's open. And everyone knows he can stroke it.

Yeah, no conscience....if he's open, he's going to shoot it. I'd like to see him take the ball to the hoop off the bounce a little more. His passing has left something to be desired, but I would expect that to improve. Overall, DD is a super addition...seems like a good teammate and hard-worker.

Reaction Score
He doesnt elevate a ton on his jump shot. However hes so tall for a wing player and has a high release he can get it off. He cant exactly take anyone off the dribble one on one yet either. I think once his handle improves he becomes a stud. Adding strength is a must too.
Yeah I noticed thAt too but I think it's only when he's wide open. if pressed I bet he jumps.

Reaction Score
Although I will say, it hurts my soul a little watching 'Scoe sulk on the bench. He sees the writing on the wall and knows Daniels is better than him. But man, he's gotta get his head on strait cuz we need our defensive coordinator back!
Agreed. As much as I love to see Daniels light it up, it pains me to see Roscoe struggle. Hes such a tough, likable kid. Need him to get back in his groove

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Agreed. As much as I love to see Daniels light it up, it pains me to see Roscoe struggle. Hes such a tough, likable kid. Need him to get back in his groove
There are two ways to look at this.

1) He's struggling because DD is here and putting pressure on him and he's not responding well. This is the one I don't like to believe.

2) He's struggling and would be no matter if DD was here or not and we have the luxery of plugging in a hot DD while Roscoe is working things out. This is the way I like to think about it.

Reaction Score
There are two ways to look at this.

1) He's struggling because DD is here and putting pressure on him and he's not responding well. This is the one I don't like to believe.

2) He's struggling and would be no matter if DD was here or not and we have the luxery of plugging in a hot DD while Roscoe is working things out. This is the way I like to think about it.

Thats basically the same thing; either way hes struggling. I think its because of Daniels. Hes feelin the pressure and knows DD is better. And he doesnt have a role. Hes not a true 3 or a 4. Personally, Id like to see him play some time at the 4 with Andre at the 5 and DD at the 3. Id like to see how that would work out.

Reaction Score
To be honest, he has a couple weaknesses that I think may deter him from being an elite player. First, he's not a great athlete - yes he is long but he lacks lateral quickness and can't jump that great (his long wingspan helps with the lack of jumpiing but not as much with the lateral quickness). Second, his lack of being able to take a man of the dribble. I think he will develop and be a good player and important piece to the team, however I wish Moe Harkless would not have decomitted and gone to SJ (I'd take Harkless over Daniels - Harkless is going to be an absolute stud and one of the top collegiate players in the next year or two). If we continue to have quick guards that can penetrate and big men that force teams inside - he will be very effective in hitting the open 3 which I look forward to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom