Deadwood movie gets green lit.

Fishy

Puncher of Throats
It is ridiculous that Deadwood was pulled from the air because the same creative team decided to do John from Cincinnati instead. How does someone make that decision?

John from Cincinnati: HBO Series Cancelled, Good News for Deadwood? - canceled TV shows - TV Series Finale
HBO wanted Deadwood over - they offered Milch the chance to do a shortened six-episode season and he refused.

Basically, it was too expensive.

Deadwood series creator David Milch has said, “I am deeply disappointed by the way things turned out. (HBO) felt like they had to make a choice, and this is how they chose. I know they tried to work it out, and I tried to work it out with them.” It’s been confirmed that HBO offered to greenlight a small six-episode order of the groundbreaking drama but Milch, who has had bad experiences with so-called “short-order renewals,” rejected the offer. “For my part, I did not want to accept a short order. We couldn’t have done the work the way we wanted. I didn’t want to limp home. My old man used to say, ‘Never go anyplace where you’re only tolerated,'” relates Milch. One source has reported that Milch had already plotted the fourth (presumed final) season episodes.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
HBO wanted Deadwood over - they offered Milch the chance to do a shortened six-episode season and he refused.

Basically, it was too expensive.

Deadwood series creator David Milch has said, “I am deeply disappointed by the way things turned out. (HBO) felt like they had to make a choice, and this is how they chose. I know they tried to work it out, and I tried to work it out with them.” It’s been confirmed that HBO offered to greenlight a small six-episode order of the groundbreaking drama but Milch, who has had bad experiences with so-called “short-order renewals,” rejected the offer. “For my part, I did not want to accept a short order. We couldn’t have done the work the way we wanted. I didn’t want to limp home. My old man used to say, ‘Never go anyplace where you’re only tolerated,'” relates Milch. One source has reported that Milch had already plotted the fourth (presumed final) season episodes.
I am sticking with it was "John from Cincinnati's" fault.

I'm semi-excited for the film. The big issue is whether the TV stars will be willing and able (with prior commitments) to reprise their roles. Casting was conspicuously vague in the announcement. At the least, they need Olyphant and McShane.