OT: - Dead Animal Somewhere | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Dead Animal Somewhere

Reaction Score
I ate a spit-roasted guinea pig in Cusco, Peru. Not enough meat.

What did it taste like? I'd imagine a chicken thigh, or rabbit if you've had that.

My daughter had two guinea pigs and when I was searching for different cage options, pictures of the guinea pig shish kabobs came up. Always been curious about it....and never ate her pets.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
My parents trapped a squirrel in the basement and let it go on the other side of the river. It was screaming the entire time. Later during spring cleaning, they opened a box and it had 4 dead squirrel babies.
Your parents were animals.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Rather long winded, but here goes:
When I was working in the early 90's at Glen Gery brick in Berks County PA, there was a guy they called Snapper, who was one of those Fred Sanford types, he'd always be asking if you, or anyone you knew, needed to have a garage or house emptied, he kept everything, and apparently kept his own home packed to the gills with from emptying other folks properties. Dirty, smelly fella pushing 250 lbs. He lived in a house with his wife and 2 kids, and apparently, they didn't have running water in the place, so he'd bring the family in to shower when the off shifts were running the 12 hour burn at the plant a few times per week, when there were only like 5 guys in the place. He was the guy on your shift, that everybody hurried to beat into, and out of, the shower house, he was a real slob. I was never present to see it, thankfully I was fast enough to shower, dress and split, but guys told me he was fond of digging toe jamb for a good 20 minutes, naked as could be, before getting showered.

Any way, they used to hand out turkeys at Thanksgiving, hams at Easter, etc....to the workers, and one Thanksgiving year, he takes his turkey home to the wife and kids. His old lady is prepping the bird for the oven, and if I recall details correctly, she realizes that she doesn't have something (like sliced pineapple or some for on top of the thing) before it went into the stove, so the entire family piles into his truck and off to the local grocery to pick up whatever it actually was that she needed. Problem is, she left the bird on the kitchen table when they split. Upon returning home, she finished and stuck the bird in the oven. After a while, they smell something that certainly wasn't normal aroma from a turkey. She pulls the thing out of the oven and they realize that a rat crawled into the bird and was what they smelled cooking. The unreal part of my story? They still finished cooking the thing and ate the turkey.

Now I know what you are all thinking, I am full of it, no way anybody could be that disgusting. Lemme tell you all though, this story WAS NOT made up by a co-worker of the dude who lived like Fred Sanford, this story was actually told by Snapper himself, during lunch break one afternoon after the Thanksgiving holiday break, circa 1990.

All that I can say, hearing his words, with my own 2 ears that day, from the dude whose family actually ate the free turkey partially baked with a rat inside of it, is that I thank the heavens above that I wasn't eating turkey leftovers during lunch break that afternoon. Oh, yeah, and how can anybody be that desperate, too? Back then we were all making like $22/hour, could've went out and bought his wife and kids a fresh, uncontaminated bird.....not Snapper, though.

30 years on and I still feel as though I lived through an audition for a Chevy Chase, Vacation type movie that day, and I have never looked at the Thanksgiving holiday the same since.
Yeah, no.

Reaction Score

Horatio

I played high school football
Reaction Score
Update - I’ve used my covid-free smelling skills to pinpoint it to this vent in our range. Opened up about 5 panels on the thing and can’t get to it.

Call a professional or let it ride out?

61-A2-AF4-B-715-D-4-E2-C-A2-E2-D2492-E5-B0688.jpg
The range vent/fan exits on your roof or side of the house. You gotta check that exit point and find where/how that bird or animal got in. Then you gotta go get chicken wire or steel screen and cover that entrance. That’s how birds , etc get in sometime. Shouldn’t cost much

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
The range vent/fan exits on your roof or side of the house. You gotta check that exit point and find where/how that bird or animal got in. Then you gotta go get chicken wire or steel screen and cover that entrance. That’s how birds , etc get in sometime. Shouldn’t cost much

They’re not coming from the vent above the range that goes outside ... when I pulled the oven out there were droppings back there and a hole I imagine is big enough for those little bastards to squeeze through so I’m going to fill that in with foam.

There’s a fan/vent on the back of the range itself when the oven is on. Unfortunately it’s about the width on a pencil and it bends inside the range.

I took off almost all outside panels last night and still couldn’t get to it - seems like an ordeal and might cost some money to have a guy deconstruct this thing just for a mouse carcass.

The smell is getting stronger - so there’s that. Thinking of riding this run out by burning candles and running the exhaust fan most of the day - if I get desperate I’ll try a snake but I think the outcome of that is I’ll just be poking holes in it’s rotting little body.

F0DD3349-3075-4ACD-9CAA-000B3ED936EA.jpeg

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
My parents trapped a squirrel in the basement and let it go on the other side of the river. It was screaming the entire time. Later during spring cleaning, they opened a box and it had 4 dead squirrel babies.
File this under "Anecdotes to Never Tell Again"...

Reaction Score
I took off almost all outside panels last night and still couldn’t get to it - seems like an ordeal and might cost some money to have a guy deconstruct this thing just for a mouse carcass.

Those vents on top are for releasing air and moisture and proper circulation in inside the oven. are there no panels inside the oven that can be removed ? Did you go online to try and find a diagram of your particular oven?

If the smell is getting worse, sounds like you might just want to call a pro. Look at the bright side, if this happened to Fishy, it would cost him a whole new kitchen.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Those vents on top are for releasing air and moisture and proper circulation in inside the oven. are there no panels inside the oven that can be removed ? Did you go online to try and find a diagram of your particular oven?

If the smell is getting worse, sounds like you might just want to call a pro. Look at the bright side, if this happened to Fishy, it would cost him a whole new kitchen house.
fify

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score

If the smell is getting worse, sounds like you might just want to call a pro. Look at the bright side, if this happened to Fishy, it would cost him a whole new kitchen.

Yes even took off a panel from the inside that ended up just exposing the convection fan more. I debated getting more things apart but I was worried about remembering in what order I took things apart.

Maybe I’ll just turn the oven on 500 and try to burn the smell away ...

If nothing else comes of this I’ll at least have a scope camera now.

Reaction Score
What did it taste like? I'd imagine a chicken thigh, or rabbit if you've had that.

My daughter had two guinea pigs and when I was searching for different cage options, pictures of the guinea pig shish kabobs came up. Always been curious about it....and never ate her pets.
That’s a holiday delicacy on a stick over a fire...... In Ecuador.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Yes even took off a panel from the inside that ended up just exposing the convection fan more. I debated getting more things apart but I was worried about remembering in what order I took things apart.

Maybe I’ll just turn the oven on 500 and try to burn the smell away ...

If nothing else comes of this I’ll at least have a scope camera now.

Scope it and then call someone. Honestly, by the looks of your tile and range hood, this isn't a box under a highway overpass you're living in, so call a pro and they will be able to seal off things you had no idea were there. It is a useful preventative measure. Winter is coming and where one got in, others will get in.

Horatio

Reaction Score
SMH. Life is cruel and we’ll have to live with this post for the rest of the day. Thanks for sharing.

Horatio

Reaction Score
They’re not coming from the vent above the range that goes outside ... when I pulled the oven out there were droppings back there and a hole I imagine is big enough for those little bastards to squeeze through so I’m going to fill that in with foam.

There’s a fan/vent on the back of the range itself when the oven is on. Unfortunately it’s about the width on a pencil and it bends inside the range.

The smell is getting stronger - so there’s that. Thinking of riding this run out by burning candles and running the exhaust fan most of the day - if I get desperate I’ll try a snake but I think the outcome of that is I’ll just be poking holes in it’s rotting little body.

View attachment 60162
I’ve had the hole in the back of my oven before. For me it was mice coming upstairs from the basement. I put mouse traps in the basement, poison in all the holes and closed the holes with Loctite. I had the holes under my baseboard heaters also. Check for entry holes In your basement

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

View attachment 60162
1) I like your kitchen. The thin subway tile herringbone backsplash is a nice look.

2) That's a Kitchenaid range, right? The smell of decaying animals is a known issue.

Last edited:

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
Scope it and then call someone. Honestly, by the looks of your tile and range hood, this isn't a box under a highway overpass you're living in, so call a pro and they will be able to seal off things you had no idea were there. It is a useful preventative measure. Winter is coming and where one got in, others will get in.

Honestly really excited about the scope, thanks @mussels - going to use it for my chimney too.

The house is 175 years old - we just redid the kitchen 18 months ago precisely because it was so old and had so many damn holes in it - mouse droppings in all our cabinets and drawers. So yea, kind of annoying to be dealing with this all over again.

@temery is right, need a cat.

Reaction Score
I debated getting more things apart but I was worried about remembering in what order I took things apart.

When I'm taking something apart, and there's some question of reassembly, I take a bunch of pictures each step of the way. Just remember to disconnect the stove from a power source before taking it a apart or probing too much with the camera etc.

Reaction Score
Mouse problems are insidious here. I have Tomcat stations outside around the house next to the foundation and it works good. Plenty of birds and wildlife around with no problems. Even great horned owls at night.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom