OT: - Dead Animal Somewhere | The Boneyard

OT: Dead Animal Somewhere

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
I can smell a dead animal somewhere in my house and can’t pinpoint it. I’ve confirmed all the usually suspected places: chimney, eaves etc. I’m not sure I’ll ever locate it. Does the smell just eventually go away?

Horatio

I played high school football
Reaction Score
I can smell a dead animal somewhere in my house and can’t pinpoint it. I’ve confirmed all the usually suspected places: chimney, eaves etc. I’m not sure I’ll ever locate it. Does the smell just eventually go away?
You have to find the entry point and block it from happening again immediately, if not sooner . The smell going away depends on the size of the animal. Squirrels are notorious for climbing in Walls, living there, and having babies in there. They’ll damage wiring, plumbing, etc. I’d say any animal from a squirrel and up creates that smell. I’ve been at homes and you can literally hear the squirrels running around in the walls. You are Doomed.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
You have to find the entry point and block it from happening again immediately, if not sooner . The smell going away depends on the size of the animal. Squirrels are notorious for climbing in Walls, living there, and having babies in there. They’ll damage wiring, plumbing, etc. I’d say any animal from a squirrel and up creates that smell. I’ve been at homes and you can literally hear the squirrels running around in the walls. You are Doomed.

We had this happen a couple of times. Finally hired a pest exclusion company. They found mice, bats and flying squirrels in the attic. These things breed rapidly. All of them. Big grey squirrels have no need to be in the house really, not where I live in the woods, it's the small flying squirrels. Can't kill the bats, so they set up one way doors that block return. They went all over the house and sealed up everything. It was not cheap. But we've had no problems since.

Horatio

I played high school football
Reaction Score
We had this happen a couple of times. Finally hired a pest exclusion company. They found mice, bats and flying squirrels in the attic. These things breed rapidly. All of them. Big grey squirrels have no need to be in the house really, not where I live in the woods, it's the small flying squirrels. Can't kill the bats, so they set up one way doors that block return. They went all over the house and sealed up everything. It was not cheap. But we've had no problems since.

Yep. Grey squirrels got in my attic by finding a slight opening created by a pigeons nest. Lol.
We would hear them as soon as the sun came up. During the day they search for found and come back. I hired a guy and all he did was seal the hole during the day when they left. All done. In the couple of days they were there they dug and tunneled through the insulation in the attic. If I didn’t address it when I did, the guy said they would’ve become roommates with kids.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It's in the walls. Give it a week.
Or there's some kind of demonic possession going on. It could be either one really.

(We had a chipmunk get into the air intake on our high efficiency burner. You could vaguely, sort of smell something but because of where it was located you really couldn't locate it. After a few days even the nominal smell went away. Then one day my furnace wouldn't run. The desiccated chipmunk corpse got light enough to move to the point where it was blocking enough of the intake that the furnace wouldn't light. I called for repair and it was one of those "well here's your problem" moments as he pulls out what is essentially a chipmunk mummy.)

Last edited:

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
I love the themes here...i just refreshed and the top 3 topics in this forum were Best Beer, Best Fried Chicken and Dead Animal Somewhere. Is it like this on the 'Cuse forums? ...or the Womens forum, for that matter?

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
In case you haven't heard this classic recently, I learned the world "olfactory" from it:

Love the Wainwright’s - and that Loudon Wainwright album is awesome.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
@tykurez, if you live in within a 30 minute radius of Danbury, send me a PM and I can send you the contact for my pest guy. Consistently good work for our "Swiss cheese house" and a genuine nice guy. Contracts good people too for when it goes beyond his expertise.
I could have used this when we went through a 2 year, 3-pest guy ordeal with bats in our Easton house. What a s'show that was. But I have to admit there are some pretty hilarious stories that endure from it.

I appreciate bats for their mosquito eating prowess, but yeeeesh, when they are flying around inside your house. Do not want.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
The smell will definitely go away. But then comes decaying seepage.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The smell will definitely go away. But then comes decaying seepage.
I feel like it is seepage first and then the smell goes away.

Reaction Score
Yes depends on what died in your walls or attic. Mouse will go away in a couple of days. Rat could take a week or more.

Reaction Score
No seepage, no seepage.

It's 1987 and the NY Giants are making their run to become superbowl champs. During either one of the playoff games, or I think the superbowl itself, light snow is falling, I have guests over, and I decided to have the first fire of the season in my seldomly used fireplace. I opened the flue and a sort of petrified squirrel drops into the fireplace. Not wanting to miss the game, I took it out the front door and threw it into the road.

Apparenty, I had been observed, because when I came home from work the next day the squrirrel was on my stoop. I threw it back into the road, and sure enough, it would be returned to my stoop. This went on for a while and I don't remember how it ever resolved. Given how I was living at that time not sure I would have noticed, but I don't recall any seepage.

Reaction Score
I had a dead possum in my attic. could smell it from below, but couldn't smell in attic. Was below the insulation and had to have ceiling replaced because of decay in drywall. Was when the house was brand new and got in before we moved in.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom