DDaddy's Stanford game preview | The Boneyard

DDaddy's Stanford game preview

Status
Not open for further replies.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
Strange as the reviewer says UConn is not a deep team. Did he watch the game last night? Might want to rethink that statement slightly.

Reaction Score
This game has me a little worried especially after UCONN shot lights out yesterday. I'm hoping they don't have a let down. Stanford as usual is a very difficult team to beat on their home floor. With that said I still expect UCONN to win by double digits in a very hard fought game.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
PS when I said reviewer, of course, I did not mean Doggy, but rather the person linked to in Wbb's post.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
great job. Can't wait for Monday!

Reaction Score
I'll post this here. Review of Stanford's win against BC from a Stanford site: http://thecardboard.org/board/index.php/topic,11107.0.html

Strange as the reviewer says UConn is not a deep team. Did he watch the game last night? Might want to rethink that statement slightly.

The reviewer did say UConn is not a deep team, and thinks therefor the Cardinal can tire them out. Such wishful thinking, when's the last time that happened? It didn't even happen last year with our 6 player rotation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
"UConn is not a deep team, so maybe we can wear them down a little."
OK wear down Saniya and you get Kia. Wear down Kiah and you get Morgan. Wear down Stewie and the others will kill you while you're doing it. Wear down Moriah? Not happening!

Reaction Score
I'm looking forward to seeing Lili Thompson play. She was a real pest in last years NCAA Semi and had a good game against BC. Wonder Geno has in mind for her.

HGN

Reaction Score
Thanks for the Link Pap...

Outstanding write up ......DD does it again.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Its obvious the writer doesn't know much about UConn. UConn wasn't deep last season and theyre in terrific shape and will wear down Stanford. From what was written about the BC game UConn will have to play good perimeter defense however I don't see Stanford getting to much inside. Its early in the season and Stanford starting and playing so many freshman will struggle and its gonna hurt them against UConn.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
I'll post this here. Review of Stanford's win against BC from a Stanford site: http://thecardboard.org/board/index.php/topic,11107.0.html

I realized that this is a fan forum...clearly their "look ahead" was done with some obstructions of their view such as research...know your subject before you post, kiddo.

It appears to me that the writer recognized that the teams have played 12 times, but are using old data about UConn for this update. Don't know why it was posted in this thread, it is so weak.

If they want to see a well researched blog, check out the link in the op.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Its obvious the writer doesn't know much about UConn. UConn wasn't deep last season and theyre in terrific shape and will wear down Stanford. From what was written about the BC game UConn will have to play good perimeter defense however I don't see Stanford getting to much inside. Its early in the season and Stanford starting and playing so many freshman will struggle and its gonna hurt them against UConn.

or what Tony said.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
What about Sadie?

She's there in spirit.

It is not atypical for just a few of the bench players to be mentioned in a pregame reports usually just the first few off the bench. The Cardinal also had mention only three of their players in addition to their starting 5 included in the report - of 8 of their 15 players listed on their roster.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
DD - as usual, fantastic diagnosis.

To the Stanford writer/ blogger - your team allowed BC 63 points! What do you think UCONN is going to do to that type of defense? Some people just don't get it that UCONN defense sets the tone for the game. Our offense feeds off of its defense.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
A slightly (and I mean slightly) more unbiased reviewer might (just might) have noted that:

Mo started a bit listlessly
Saniya got a bit beat up on D (and the Stanford guards are their strength)… Geno said (not me)
Kiah was good, but not a monster.
Morgan missed almost everything in the first half.
Courtney didn't do soooo much (and seemed to get beat by their guards).

Stewie, K, and Kia played up to expectations (a joke, I know).

As Geno always says, good guard play is the key and they have two, really quick, really experienced guards who are not afraid and could go off.

That being said, I think Geno plans on a game not dissimilar to the championship game…the ball goes inside with great regularity and the other team gets walloped in the post.

And… the outside shooting (although perhaps not as perfect as Friday) is still first-class.

Leading to a 30-point win (when their guards wear down).

Reaction Score
I hope our freshmen guards get some playing time. Defending against Oorange and Thompson should be quite an education, Kia excepted of course.

Reaction Score
Agree that writing an analysis based on Stanford's boxscore is daunting but feel you've done a credible job. True that Stephanie and Chainey battle will be missed but feel Stanford will miss their post from last year more than we'll miss Stephanie ... with Kiah and a healthy Morgan anchoring the middle. The challenge IMHO will be to see if Saniya and Kia can pick up where Bria Hartley left off defensively. Stanford's guards are quick, talented and seasoned. The Cardinals new spread offense will present a challenge defensively for our youngsters so I'll be focusing on Nurse and Chong to get a feel where we stack up to last year's team defense ... The best I've ever seen. With Moriah, Kaleena and Breanna we will win a competitive game going away but keep an eye on the mini-battle inside the war. Great work DD ... You 'da man!

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score
A slightly (and I mean slightly) more unbiased reviewer might (just might) have noted that:

Mo started a bit listlessly
Saniya got a bit beat up on D (and the Stanford guards are their strength)… Geno said (not me)
Kiah was good, but not a monster.
Morgan missed almost everything in the first half.
Courtney didn't do soooo much (and seemed to get beat by their guards).

Stewie, K, and Kia played up to expectations (a joke, I know).

As Geno always says, good guard play is the key and they have two, really quick, really experienced guards who are not afraid and could go off.

That being said, I think Geno plans on a game not dissimilar to the championship game…the ball goes inside with great regularity and the other team gets walloped in the post.

And… the outside shooting (although perhaps not as perfect as Friday) is still first-class.

Leading to a 30-point win (when their guards wear down).

There have been some comments about Saniya getting beat on defense in her first stint, but I didn't see it in live action and went back to look at the tape. The first 3 UCD made on her, she was run into by another UC player when she started out to cover the shot. The second time, UCD set a good screen she was not able to fight thru in time. I didn't see any mental lapses.

It was interesting to me that, despite the score my thought on leaving the game was that UCD played very good defense. The first and second offensive options were seldom open and it often came down to the fourth option. But that doesn't matter much when the team's shooting 60+%.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
There have been some comments about Saniya getting beat on defense in her first stint, but I didn't see it in live action and went back to look at the tape. The first 3 UCD made on her, she was run into by another UC player when she started out to cover the shot. The second time, UCD set a good screen she was not able to fight thru in time. I didn't see any mental lapses.
Well it was Geno who made the comments about Chong's defense early in the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom