OT: - Day trip idea - anywhere in CT | The Boneyard

OT: Day trip idea - anywhere in CT

Reaction Score
So Tuesday is my anniversary and my wife and I were thinking of doing a little day trip somewhere in State (live in Fairfield County).

Any suggestions as the state is starting to reopen again? Preferably on the shore but anywhere works.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The Glass House in New Canaan is cool. But I'm not sure it's open Tuesday.
You could bring a nice bottle of wine and have lunch at the Blue Oar in Haddam. Pretty good food right along the Connecticut River.

Reaction Score
So Tuesday is my anniversary and my wife and I were thinking of doing a little day trip somewhere in State (live in Fairfield County).

Any suggestions as the state is starting to reopen again? Preferably on the shore but anywhere works.
Go across the border to NY where there are way more options. Storm King, Innisfree Gardens, Pepsico Sculptures, Kykuit Rockefeller Estate, Woodstock etc.

Curiouser
Reaction Score

I’m personally not a big fan, but friends and family from across the state seem to like going to The Wharf at Madison Beach Hotel for special occasions like that. There’s a little beach there too, and a few nice places in town to shop and stroll.

Reaction Score
I recently discovered the Borough of Stonington, it is a hidden gem and only about a 5 minute ride from Mystic Seaport. Those two places would make for a great day trip.I recently ate at the Dog Watch Cafe and the S&P Oyster Bar in that area and both places were outstanding and provided great waterside dining.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I recently discovered the Borough of Stonington, it is a hidden gem and only about a 5 minute ride from Mystic Seaport. Those two places would make for a great day trip.
I second downtown Stonington, especially if you like visiting areas where a lot of the history is preserved. Brought students to Barn Island for day trips for a few years, but went to the downtown for the first time about three years ago. Love it.

Water Street is beautiful, quaint and historic and there's basically no zoning consistencies...you'll walk past a shop, followed by a townhouse, followed by a restaurant.

Speaking of Stonington restaurants, go to Noah's. Their regular menu is small, but their daily specials menu is where it's at. Honestly, one of the best meals I've had ever.

Reaction Score

For just a nice hike, go to Bigelow Hollow State Park in Union , CT. Drive to the very end and park near the boat ramp. If you are a boater, there is a beautiful lake to ride the boat. Once you park, walk straight ahead on a gravel road, and to your left the sign will point you to the trail. The trail is nice and flat and the trail parallels the lake with lots of openings for water views. Port o potties, no regular toilets. Lots of ferns and trees, and greenery on the trail which loops through the forest. Also, see the sign for Rock Island which is just off the trail, up a slight hill, where you will see some large rocks that you can stand on, giving you a panoramic view of the lake. Lake is well stocked if you like fishing.15 minutes to Sturbridge where BT Smokehouse has great ribs, bison burgers, baked beans and home made desserts.

Hope you go sometime.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
For just a nice hike, go to Bigelow Hollow State Park in Union , CT. Drive to the very end and park near the boat ramp. If you are a boater, there is a beautiful lake to ride the boat. Once you park, walk straight ahead on a gravel road, and to your left the sign will point you to the trail. The trail is nice and flat and the trail parallels the lake with lots of openings for water views. Port o potties, no regular toilets. Lots of ferns and trees, and greenery on the trail which loops through the forest. Also, see the sign for Rock Island which is just off the trail, up a slight hill, where you will see some large rocks that you can stand on, giving you a panoramic view of the lake. Lake is well stocked if you like fishing.15 minutes to Sturbridge where BT Smokehouse has great ribs, bison burgers, baked beans and home made desserts.

Hope you go sometime.
Can vouch for BT’s. Great place.

Don’t think my wife would be thinking that for our anniversary though.

Reaction Score
Can vouch for BT’s. Great place.

Don’t think my wife would be thinking that for our anniversary though.
Okay.

Wickham Park in Manchester has nice gardens and an aviary and peacocks, and Hubbard Park in Meriden at the top has Castle Crag with a panoramic view of the area. A nice duck pond when you first enter.

For the shoreline, I am told Rhode Island has nice beaches over the CT line.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Branford...thimble cruise (if they are running, otherwise maybe island taxi to public island), short hike down trolley line, seafood at lenny's, beer at Stony Creek.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Niantic! Book barn, water, antique stores, great ice cream, etc.
What is the appeal of the Book Barn? I always see the lot the packed.

Reaction Score
What is the appeal of the Book Barn? I always see the lot the packed.
Just very cool all around. Obviously if you're a reader theres a ton of new and old books for cheap. But theres also cats, turtles, fish, goats to visit and if you have kids there are some games like lifesize connect four, slide, chess etc. Plus its decorated cool with different themed outbuildings

Reaction Score
@UConnTrumbull Have you ever been to the Rowayton neighborhood of Norwalk?

It's a beautiful, seaside neighborhood with historic homes and some waterfront places to eat. I live in the northern portion of Norwalk and my wife and I drive through there about once every week or two and it feels like a mini-vacation. Once quarantine is over, there are few art galleries to check out too.

Your handle points to you living in Trumbull, so it's about a half hour drive from you.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Not CT but on the border; is Sturbridge still a spot?

Reaction Score
Barkhamstead Reservoir area is really nice. Trails, scenery lake area. A nice ride up Rt 8 for you guys!

But really worth the longer drive to leave the state and hit Newport RI..

Reaction Score
Stop at Kent Falls while up there

it was closed as of a few weeks ago when I drove by it. Maybe they've reopened the parking lot. Also Bull's bridge has a small parking lot that is usually packed by mid morning. Think a lot of people fish around there but there are other places to park. The AT trail runs through the area as well.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
I second downtown Stonington, especially if you like visiting areas where a lot of the history is preserved. Brought students to Barn Island for day trips for a few years, but went to the downtown for the first time about three years ago. Love it.

Water Street is beautiful, quaint and historic and there's basically no zoning consistencies...you'll walk past a shop, followed by a townhouse, followed by a restaurant.

Speaking of Stonington restaurants, go to Noah's. Their regular menu is small, but their daily specials menu is where it's at. Honestly, one of the best meals I've had ever.
The Borough has different zoning regulations than the Town of Stonington. I think Fenwick is the same. Also, a section of Branford, too.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom