Day Columnist takes on High School girls | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Day Columnist takes on High School girls

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
OK...I see the problem. To get my point across...I should have said...neither is a lacrosse game. Now what?
It wasn't a "lacrosse game". It was a state playoff game.

Who gets to go to a Jr Prom??? Pretty much anyone who wants to buy a ticket. Who gets to play in a state playoff game? Much, much more limited.

Now you can argue neither is a major life event, ok, I'll buy that. But one is much more significant than the other. And one you've made a commitment for. One you would be letting people down.

Look the girls made a choice. Silly choice. But really the problem was the coach for letting them get away with it. Very bad example, very bad lesson.

Should have Dimauro written this??? IDK, guess it was a slow sports news day? Or maybe it's just a pet peeve of his?? BUT, things like this are why girls athletes aren't taken as seriously as some people think they should be.

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score
On a personal note, our sons played on a competitive CIAC football team where even one extra loss would cost the team a playoff spot. One year about 6 senior starters missed half a game to take SATs and no one gave a damn. Now, before you say SATs ‘matter more’, consider that there were multiple SAT dates and they picked the one that worked for them. No one said a damn thing about these kids missing half a game. The difference is that prom is considered frivolous by some. You don‘t get to decide what someone else values.

Do I have all the information needed to make an objective judgment about these girls?

(Please note: an objective judgment excludes my feelings about sports and proms.)

If I were to have that information, would I have sound cause to make and issue a judgment?

I coached kids' sports for many seasons, and sometimes a kid had to miss part or all of a game. I wasn't always happy with the effects on the team, but the choices belonged to the kids and their families. I had no right to question those choices; I simply adjusted to the circumstances. The faux moral outrage of Mr. DiMauro serves no useful purpose.

Reaction Score
Sort of a strange take, IMO. A girl is not going to be eliminaTed as a recruit for missing 20 minutes of one game to attend a major life event. You, like DiMauro, appear to lack understanding how huge an event a first formal is to a 16 year old girl.

DiMauro is a dope, btw. He would have been at home with those Puritans that forced women to wear scarlet letters.
Possibly true about DiMauro, HuskyNan, but a bit harsh.

Painting the girls' decisions with a broad brush is just not a good idea. You're on target about most teenaged girls' priorities, but not all of them.

Reaction Score
It wasn't a "lacrosse game". It was a state playoff game.

Who gets to go to a Jr Prom??? Pretty much anyone who wants to buy a ticket. Who gets to play in a state playoff game? Much, much more limited.

Now you can argue neither is a major life event, ok, I'll buy that. But one is much more significant than the other. And one you've made a commitment for. One you would be letting people down.

Look the girls made a choice. Silly choice. But really the problem was the coach for letting them get away with it. Very bad example, very bad lesson.

Should have Dimauro written this??? IDK, guess it was a slow sports news day? Or maybe it's just a pet peeve of his?? BUT, things like this are why girls athletes aren't taken as seriously as some people think they should be.
I guess where we differ is I don't care what type of game it is. It's a game and that means something, until....it's artificially deemed as something "more". And I'm not willing, nor do I feel that I am entitled to decide which of the two competing entities is more important to "the girls" as opposed to which are more important to me. We're not talking about life and death choices here. We're talking happiness. Perhaps we take sports too seriously at the expense of other things that are more rewarding. There's a lesson there. It doesn't mean people don't understand commitment. It means the formula for happiness, fulfillment, or whatever you want to call it....isn't the same for everyone. I'd also add that if they didn't feel some sense of commitment to their team, they would have skipped the game altogether. It's not as if they went into the locker room and decided to leave at that moment. This was a planned absence. Most of these players, regardless of gender, aren't going to make a living playing sports. And if "girl" athletes aren't being taken seriously, I doubt it's no different than what women experience in general, on the playing field, in the classroom, or in the boardroom.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom