Day after positives | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Day after positives

Status
Not open for further replies.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Bazz had 1.5 years to learn how to become the guy, Boat has essentially 2 months..he is going to need help, that currently he isn't getting

Reaction Score
yeah? please tell me you seeing anyone on our team that can run offense because then I won't have to be so gloomy lol

This is the same stuff we heard last year about Shabazz early on. "He can't run the offense . . . he just pounds the ball and goes one on one . . . "

It's amazing how much better a point guard looks when he has guys who can score the ball. I'm waiting for someone to blame Boat for not getting Terrence enough open jumpers.

Horatio

I played high school football
Reaction Score
Rodney Purvis had 19pts the game before he got hurt people. That's at least the
Scoring we needed during the last 6 minutes of the Texas game. I'm not going to even mention any contribution Omar could've given us that last 6 minutes. It all matters. We'll be fine . Enjoy the process.

Reaction Score
This is the same stuff we heard last year about Shabazz early on. "He can't run the offense . . . he just pounds the ball and goes one on one . . . "

It's amazing how much better a point guard looks when he has guys who can score the ball. I'm waiting for someone to blame Boat for not getting Terrence enough open jumpers.

Actually Shabazz used to direct players to set the offense championship game was a prime example when he shoved Boat for not running the play. Kevin Ollie said that he had boat telling the other players the plays in practice but you don't see that in game do you? Can DHam score? why doesn't he make Boat look amazing.
Look I'm not ragging on Boat while others drool over Daniel Hamilton he is no Richard Hamilton and I believe Boat is our best player. I rarely see DHam him fighting to get open or any of the other guys I think as a senior and Captain he should push the other guys and be more vocal.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
Rodney Purvis had 19pts the game before he got hurt people. That's at least the
Scoring we needed during the last 6 minutes of the Texas game. I'm not going to even mention any contribution Omar could've given us that last 6 minutes. It all matters. We'll be fine . Enjoy the process.
I don't know, board consensus seems to be that by the time we figure it out we'll already be in the NIT.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I don't know, board consensus seems to be that by the time we figure it out we'll already be in the NIT.

I wouldn't give the board credit for being even that optimistic.

Reaction Score
You nailed it on the rebounding.

When you consider that a few of the posts last year around this time were, 'The Center position has more fouls than rebounds,' or 'I'd trade Roscoe back for DD in a heartbeat,' the rebounding has been great.

Already Facey is better than anyone on last year's team, while Boat and Hamilton are thus far rebounding as well as Bazz and DD.

During that awful stretch for both teams yesterday to end the game, I can't recall many, if any, second chances for UT.

Curiouser
Reaction Score

Actually Shabazz used to direct players to set the offense championship game was a prime example when he shoved Boat for not running the play. Kevin Ollie said that he had boat telling the other players the plays in practice but you don't see that in game do you? Can DHam score? why doesn't he make Boat look amazing.
Look I'm not ragging on Boat while others drool over Daniel Hamilton he is no Richard Hamilton and I believe Boat is our best player. I rarely see DHam him fighting to get open or any of the other guys I think as a senior and Captain he should push the other guys and be more vocal.
Championship game was not "early on."

Anyone who thinks Bazz had us clicking from the start last season either didn't watch or doesn't remember.

Oh, and the championship game shove? Who went to the bench after that? Here's a hint: It wasn't Boat.

Bazz was great, unreal really, in terms of what he led that team to accomplish last season. But I don't remember him putting together good games, consecutively, for the full game for any length of time before the NCAA tournament started. And he had a lot more help than Boat has had so far this season. A lot.

Personally, I think Boat has exceeded any reasonable expectations so far this season. Whatever flaws this team may have, he has not been one of them. His play and leadership have been exemplary imo.

Joobie

Bookie
Reaction Score
Boatright is being the best Boatright he can be. No question. As an effective leader, not sure he'll ever get there. His personality is completely different than Napier's or Walker's. They had a quality about them...people wanted to do better because no one wanted to disappoint Shabazz or Kemba. They, by benefit of their attitude, lead by example. The motto was all for one & one for all. I am not getting that same sense from this team.

Reaction Score
Boat is 10% worse? No way. His total numbers tell a different story. He is not a knockdown 3 point shooter, but he often shoots it better up against the clock or under pressure.
Without Boat we may not even be a top 50 team. Coaches and players have to figure out a way to get this offense started earlier in the shot clock. We get to under 20 seconds and all that is going on is one player dribbling. Offense isn't even worse against the zone. The high post has to be utilized. Passing around the perimeter is not going to get it done.

Horatio

I played high school football
Reaction Score

If you truly look beyond the teams weaknesses we're a knee sprain, ankle sprain and a pair of reliable high top sneakers away from being undefeated . It could possibly get worse but that's the way things are with us. I'm use to it.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Boatright is being the best Boatright he can be. No question. As an effective leader, not sure he'll ever get there. His personality is completely different than Napier's or Walker's. They had a quality about them...people wanted to do better because no one wanted to disappoint Shabazz or Kemba. They, by benefit of their attitude, lead by example. The motto was all for one & one for all. I am not getting that same sense from this team.
I disagree with this entirely. I think you are overlooking the journey it took for Kemba and Shabazz to establish that, and underestimating Ryan and his potential to do the same.

Reaction Score
dante said:
Actually Shabazz used to direct players to set the offense championship game was a prime example when he shoved Boat for not running the play. Kevin Ollie said that he had boat telling the other players the plays in practice but you don't see that in game do you? Can DHam score? why doesn't he make Boat look amazing. Look I'm not ragging on Boat while others drool over Daniel Hamilton he is no Richard Hamilton and I believe Boat is our best player. I rarely see DHam him fighting to get open or any of the other guys I think as a senior and Captain he should push the other guys and be more vocal.

Try harder at reading.

Reaction Score
Championship game was not "early on."

Anyone who thinks Bazz had us clicking from the start last season either didn't watch or doesn't remember.

Oh, and the championship game shove? Who went to the bench after that? Here's a hint: It wasn't Boat.

Bazz was great, unreal really, in terms of what he led that team to accomplish last season. But I don't remember him putting together good games, consecutively, for the full game for any length of time before the NCAA tournament started. And he had a lot more help than Boat has had so far this season. A lot.

Personally, I think Boat has exceeded any reasonable expectations so far this season. Whatever flaws this team may have, he has not been one of them. His play and leadership have been exemplary imo.

Early in the season I'm guessing you forgot but Shabazz would not even attempt to shoot the ball in the first half just to try to get the other guys going now when the team was in trouble he would do the second half heroics.
Boat is our best player but I feel he's putting to much pressure on himself he needs to put some of that burden on the others, Brimah 2 rebounds unacceptable, how many times has Cassell try to drive to the lane and he falls down resulting in a TO? unacceptable .. Phil have games where he has zero rebounds is he scared of the ball? unacceptable.
It's nice to see Boat stuff the stat sheet but I would love for him to show the 2 bigs how to rebound and the guards how not to attack the lane.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Early in the season I'm guessing you forgot but Shabazz would not even attempt to shoot the ball in the first half just to try to get the other guys going now when the team was in trouble he would do the second half heroics.
Boat is our best player but I feel he's putting to much pressure on himself he needs to put some of that burden on the others, Brimah 2 rebounds unacceptable, how many times has Cassell try to drive to the lane and he falls down resulting in a TO? unacceptable .. Phil have games where he has zero rebounds is he scared of the ball? unacceptable.
It's nice to see Boat stuff the stat sheet but I would love for him to show the 2 bigs how to rebound and the guards how not to attack the lane.
I remember the early season very well and the tale of two Bazzes/halves. I see Boat trying to get others involved; except for Hamilton no one else could even throw the ball in the ocean yesterday. Not sure what Boat is supposed to do to make them better shooters, or better rebounders. I see a guy doing everything he can and getting very little help, especially on offense. He is stuffing the stat sheet out of necessity, not greed.

The only thing I would suggest, which was very apparent to me yesterday, is that Facey needs to get more touches, especially in the middle. I think we can use him to facilitate in/out movement and passing through the middle. I expect that his development is not lost on the staff and that they will be working on this, as it is glaringly apparent how few other options we have offensively without Purvis or Calhoun.

Reaction Score
I remember the early season very well and the tale of two Bazzes/halves. I see Boat trying to get others involved; except for Hamilton no one else could even throw the ball in the ocean yesterday. Not sure what Boat is supposed to do to make them better shooters, or better rebounders. I see a guy doing everything he can and getting very little help, especially on offense. He is stuffing the stat sheet out of necessity, not greed.

The only thing I would suggest, which was very apparent to me yesterday, is that Facey needs to get more touches, especially in the middle. I think we can use him to facilitate in/out movement and passing through the middle. I expect that his development is not lost on the staff and that they will be working on this, as it is glaringly apparent how few other options we have offensively without Purvis or Calhoun.

Fair enough

Reaction Score
rough loss for sure.
i still think this team is a legit top 15 team, when healthy.
no matter what happens this year...
it will be awesome watching the boat show.

Reaction Score
I agree with just about everything in the OP except the suggestion that we should play more zone. From my recollection, the zone was not of effective at all yesterday, and one of the few field goals Texas hit in the second half was a wide open three that occurred just after a switch to a zone.

Also, I thought the half-court defense was phenomenal. Boatright, Hamilton, and Samuel were all fantastic guarding the perimeter, and for all the complaints about our front court, a couple of the best big men in the country struggled mightily to finish shots over our length at the rim.

JonnyRI

The files are in the computer
Reaction Score
Yeah I'd like to see a bit more out of him but I think that's on him for now. He doesn't flash to the ball like he wants it all that much and even when he gets it with no one on him or near him he doesn't want to put it on the floors. I'm excited about his rebounding presence and even his defense was a little more aggressive yesterday but I'm not sure he's ready to be the guy we need on offense. But not a bad idea to find out a little more I agree.
During the first half, my brother and I (we were at the game) both were furious at the middle of the zone play. Last year (when he was playing "good" Deandre), Daniels had it down cold. Difference with Facey is that on one (including himself) respects his foul line jumper (or driving to the hoop for that matter). Hamilton is the guy that we both thought would be the right guy (handle, getting to the rim, length) for playing the middle. Of course, if no one is knocking down threes it makes it very difficult. But with DHam in the middle, he would have a cutting back door Facey as the down low passing option. Maybe I am crazy, but this seemed like a no brainer when watching the game yesterday....

Reaction Score
It's going to take some time with all the new pieces but I trust in KO. It might be ugly for a bit but by tourney time they will be where they need to be.

Reaction Score
JonnyRI said:
During the first half, my brother and I (we were at the game) both were furious at the middle of the zone play. Last year (when he was playing "good" Deandre), Daniels had it down cold. Difference with Facey is that on one (including himself) respects his foul line jumper (or driving to the hoop for that matter). Hamilton is the guy that we both thought would be the right guy (handle, getting to the rim, length) for playing the middle. Of course, if no one is knocking down threes it makes it very difficult. But with DHam in the middle, he would have a cutting back door Facey as the down low passing option. Maybe I am crazy, but this seemed like a no brainer when watching the game yesterday....

Hamilton in the middle of a stretched zone is ideal - can shoot, pass or even a quick dribble and slash. Problem is that without any perimeter threats around him to stretch the zone, it'll collapse and there won't be any room for him to operate or for cutters (unless maybe we go small). It's one area a freshman-level Calhoun could help (or Purvis and/or Cassell shooting well enough to get the zone thinking and out of its shape).

JonnyRI

The files are in the computer
Reaction Score
Hamilton in the middle of a stretched zone is ideal - can shoot, pass or even a quick dribble and slash. Problem is that without any perimeter threats around him to stretch the zone, it'll collapse and there won't be any room for him to operate or for cutters (unless maybe we go small). It's one area a freshman-level Calhoun could help (or Purvis and/or Cassell shooting well enough to get the zone thinking and out of its shape).
Two guys who you can feel good about knocking down the triple (Bazz and Niel last year) is what you need to make DHam in the middle work. Right now, no one to fill that role. Hopefully (stretch of the year) Calhoun can be on of them, and Sam/Purv/Boat is the other. Lots of hoping and wishing though before we get to that point.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score

couldn't do that because purvis and omar were out... the only outside threat would've been boat... i was thinking the same thing during the game that hamilton should be in the middle but today i realized there was no one else on the perimeter for texas to respect

Two guys who you can feel good about knocking down the triple (Bazz and Niel last year) is what you need to make DHam in the middle work. Right now, no one to fill that role. Hopefully (stretch of the year) Calhoun can be on of them, and Sam/Purv/Boat is the other. Lots of hoping and wishing though before we get to that point.
it also took giff 4 years to be the player he became... our team needs to be healthy for sometime for us to get an idea of what he have

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom