Dawn Staley "It felt great beating UConn" | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Dawn Staley "It felt great beating UConn"

Reaction Score
Dawn is not concerned with players that leave she's able to nab top tier talent whenever she chooses wherever she chooses whether its recruiting high schools or the transfer portal. She has no established the premiere destination in women's basketball.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Probably because they are not bringing in the anywhere near the same revenues re: crowds, broadcast rates etc. You are comparing apples to oranges.
Yes and no. Its a thorny issue, and not so easy to resolve.

Absolutely, in terms of what they bring to the university, most men's coaches produce far more in revenue, crowds, etc. As someone pointed out, Dawn outperforms the men at her school, but then, she is very well rewarded, she isn't talking about her salary specifically but the "average" or "general" disparity.

But where it gets tough is the realization that they are ultimately performing the same job. Is the claim that the salary is not based on how well they coach the team but on the revenue the sport generates (which is pretty much the case right now)? Doesn't seem quite right. That would suggest a men's team coach with a losing or .500 record, but who draws big crowds, should be paid more than a Women's coach whose teams make the NCAA's virtually every year. As I say, it does seem off. Are we saying that its like someone working for a fortune 500 company vs. a mom-and-pop, such that one is more financially successful so the bigger company can pay more?

Part of my take is actually that the men's coaches are paid far more than is "reasonable". Heck, the money is shoveled their way at schools whose athletic programs are not self-sufficient and where some of the money is generated from taxes and student fees.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
In addition to what KnightBridgeAZ said above: It's a UNIVERSITY, not a corporation. (And even when it's a corporation, the link between earnings and executive salaries is tenuous.)

But even with that said, if bringing in money has a large bearing on compensation, the directors of large research institutes at universities should be the highest paid. Johns Hopkins tops the list of universities with the most federal funding, with more than twice the funding of the next-highest-funded university. The Applied Physics Laboratory and Medical School both bring in something approaching a billion dollars a year, so by that measure, their directors should be making WAY more than any football coach. Ain't gonna happen. I have no idea abut the medical school, but I seriously doubt if the director of APL makes more than half a million.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
I think USC and UCONN should play a neutral site game in Philly every year and a 2nd game alternating between home arenas. With both coaches being from Philly, it would be a huge deal. It's closer to Storrs, but only a day's drive or train ride from Columbia.

Reaction Score
I think USC and UCONN should play a neutral site game in Philly every year and a 2nd game alternating between home arenas. With both coaches being from Philly, it would be a huge deal. It's closer to Storrs, but only a day's drive or train ride from Columbia.
I don’t think two teams in different conferences can schedule to play twice in one year unless one of those games is in a tournament where they aren’t guaranteed to meet. Like last year.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I don’t think two teams in different conferences can schedule to play twice in one year unless one of those games is in a tournament where they aren’t guaranteed to meet. Like last year.
UConn and Tennessee used to play a home and home during the season.

Reaction Score
Can you give me an example of a male and a female coach with the exact same resume?
I think you may be missing the point. She’s not advocating for every individual male and female coach to make the same salary. Dawn herself is among the highest-paid coaches in the sport. She’s pointing out that there are statistical collective disparities between A) male and female coaches in women’s college basketball and B) men’s college basketball coaches and women’s college basketball coaches.

Gender pay gaps, both within the women’s game and compared to the men’s counterpart product, are well-documented and really not up for debate.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I don’t know how much you get out of a third game. (see what I did there?) but if you like that format, I wouldn’t mind throwing in a neutral site in the rotation. So one home, or away, or neutral every year. I wouldn’t mind doing one at Madison Square Garden either. Would gamecock fans come to New York for it? I suspect that ESPN would bid for the neutral site games.

I like playing you guys during the season. It is a great test as to where each program is at that point in time.

CL82

Reaction Score
I think you may be missing the point. She’s not advocating for every individual male and female coach to make the same salary. Dawn herself is among the highest-paid coaches in the sport. She’s pointing out that there are statistical collective disparities between A) male and female coaches in women’s college basketball and B) men’s college basketball coaches and women’s college basketball coaches.

Gender pay gaps, both within the women’s game and compared to the men’s counterpart product, are well-documented and really not up for debate.
Your choice A is an apples to apples comparison while your choice B is not. So while the B differential is undoubtedly well documented it isn’t particularly relevant or informative.

Reaction Score
After Boston and the bigs graduate let us evaluate what great she is and the SC program
Yeah, there's no one that can stop Boston. To beat SC, our guards had to outplay their guards, and the reverse happened :-(

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
I don’t know how much you get out of a third game. (see what I did there?) but if you like that format, I wouldn’t mind throwing in a neutral site in the rotation. So one home, or away, or neutral every year. I wouldn’t mind doing one at Madison Square Garden either. Would gamecock fans come to New York for it? I suspect that ESPN would bid for the neutral site games.

I like playing you guys during the season. It is a great test as to where each program is at that point in time.
I love games at MSG and Barclays. When our MBB team played in the regional finals at MSG in 2017 we had over 10,000 fans there, so I think it could work. USC has a large alumni base in the tri-state area. I'll be added to those numbers when I retire.

CL82

Reaction Score
I love games at MSG and Barclays. When our MBB team played in the regional finals at MSG in 2017 we had over 10,000 fans there, so I think it could work. USC has a large alumni base in the tri-state area. I'll be added to those numbers when I retire.
Set up the meeting with Dawn. If she’s in we can set one up with Geno and then swing by Bristol to see the ESPN overlords are interested.

Reaction Score
Set up the meeting with Dawn. If she’s in we can set one up with Geno and then swing by Bristol to see the ESPN overlords are interested.
I bet Dawn would love it, at least for next year :). It would be a great way to kick off the basketball season, although I think both coaches like it better toward the end of the year. I think in terms of WBB though for right now there isn’t a bigger game and there aren’t two more colorful coaches in our sport than Dawn and Geno.

Reaction Score
Yes as I say we will see….I never bet against UCONN and Geno….considering all that happened this season getting to the Championship alone was of the best performances….and you sound like a disciple of Dawn and SC….

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom