Dawn Staley "It felt great beating UConn" | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Dawn Staley "It felt great beating UConn"

Reaction Score
Looking at the future SC is not going anywhere and right now they are better than UCONN as much as I hate to say it . We need another game changer to beat them preferably an aggressive rebounder 6”6 and up .

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
"Some of Staley's comments seem abrasive"
Sounds like someone we know?
Yes, the second one is sweeter. I can't remember if it was Geno who said something like - getting the first is great, getting the second shows it wasn't a fluke. :)

There are so many strong teams and good coaches out there. If Geno can get the players and keep his fire (and health) going, it's going to be a fun five years.

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
If you're an SC fan, you love her. If not, maybe you don't.
If you're a UConn fan, you love Geno. If not, maybe you don't.
Of course it felt great to beat UConn. There's no fault in that.
I have some issues with her and the way she comports herself at times, but I also realize I look at her through a distinctly National-Flag-Blue lens.
I have no problem with her enjoying her moment – she and her team earned it.
Go Huskies.

Reaction Score
I respect what Dawn has done at SC. However, she sounded really arrogant when she said, “South Carolina’s title was won before it was played.” If it were true, why bother playing the game? Just hand them the title! There is a fine line between confidence and arrogance. I don’t remember any coach has ever said that (the title is won before the game is played), from Pat, Geno, Tara, to coach K.

Reaction Score
Looking at the future SC is not going anywhere and right now they are better than UCONN as much as I hate to say it . We need another game changer to beat them preferably an aggressive rebounder 6”6 and up .
Nah...we need an entire team. It wouldve been a different guess with Juhas, and Fudd ans an uninjured ONO and Paige. Completely different

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
I need a clarification about her comments that coaches should get equal pay. A great sound byte, but what does it mean? Each coach is an individual, regardless of race or sex. There are many factors that go into what a coach should earn. Which two coaches, if any, deserve the exact same salary?

Reaction Score
I respect what Dawn has done at SC. However, she sounded really arrogant when she said, “South Carolina’s title was won before it was played.” If it were true, why bother playing the game? Just hand them the title! There is a fine line between confidence and arrogance. I don’t remember any coach has ever said that (the title is won before the game is played), from Pat, Geno, Tara, to coach K.

She means that it was God’s plan for them to win. She has said a variation of this statement in several interviews.

Reaction Score
The Philly sports radio guys are talking Dawn up as a replacement for Doc Rivers, coach of the 76ers. She has the Philly connection and they think she is tough enough to deal with NBA players. They think it is the only job that would pry her from SC. I am amused by their chatter because they rarely discuss any women's sports.
She has interviewed with an NBA team previously while here (2020 iirc). She made clear she is not interested in coaching outside of the collegiate level on a full-time basis. Her remaining family members are permanent residents of SC and her parents were originally from a small town outside of Columbia. She isn't going anywhere bc she won't leave her surviving family and they have told her they will not move elsewhere.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Did you listen to the context or just see the one line? She was complimenting her team for putting the team ahead of themselves and committing to winning the NC. "Keep the main thing the main thing" was their mantra all year long. Plus she believes that God has things planned out. It was divinely ordered - they just have to do their part. Dawn's just like every good coach - she knew what she was saying and was playing to the crowd, but her team and the FAMS knew the meaning. If you don't like her you don't like her but she is all about her team and promoting WBB. When she sent out the text to Paige, she meant it. There aren't many other coaches that would do that.

Arrogant? How about Cocky? ;) Goodness the woman has accomplished more as a player and coach than any human being in the WORLD. She can certainly back it up.

Reaction Score
I need a clarification about her comments that coaches should get equal pay. A great sound byte, but what does it mean? Each coach is an individual, regardless of race or sex. There are many factors that go into what a coach should earn. Which two coaches, if any, deserve the exact same salary?
She was referring to men vs women coaches. Her point was they do the same job so why is there such a disparity between what they are paid. She was saying they both coach young women/men, recruit, handle all the other aspects of the job... So why do men generally get paid FAR more than women at both the collegiate and pro level.

Something I'm proud of. Dawn is our highest paid coach. Unheard of at an SEC school to have the WBB HC making more than the Football HC or MBB HC. I'm proud as hell to be a "WBB school", personally.

Last edited:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
The years listed above are wrong. I can't correct the original post.

It should be:

2017. Champs but not the best team in wbb.
2020 Not champs but maybe the best team in wbb.
2022 Champs and best team in wbb.

2023? we will see if the motivation is there to repeat. Dawn will have. Will the players give that extra effort needed to win championships?
It’s like which came first, the chicken or the egg? Which is harder, winning a NC or repeating? They are both hard, which is HARDER?

Reaction Score
It’s like which came first, the chicken or the egg? Which is harder, winning a NC or repeating? They are both hard, which is HARDER?
We didn't carry the weight of being the #1 ranked team from start to finish in 2017. There wasn't as much pressure and not nearly as big of a target on our backs. 2022 was definitely harder bc it felt like everybody hated us. (Which is fine... Means we are doing well)

Reaction Score
We didn't carry the weight of being the #1 ranked team from start to finish in 2017. There wasn't as much pressure and not nearly as big of a target on our backs. 2022 was definitely harder bc it felt like everybody hated us. (Which is fine... Means we are doing well)
And now we get to add being the defending National Champs AND probably start the season at #1.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
She was referring to men vs women coaches. Her point was they do the same job so why is there such a disparity between what they are paid. She was saying they both coach young women/men, recruit, handle all the other aspects of the job... So why do men generally get paid FAR more than women at both the collegiate and pro level.

Something I'm proud of. Dawn is our highest paid coach. Unheard of at an SEC school to have the WBB HC making more than the Football HC or MBB HC. I'm proud as hell to be a "WBB school", personally.
Can you give me an example of a male and a female coach with the exact same resume?

Reaction Score
No one is as hateful as those Vols.
OMG... This is the truth. They HATE us. They despise Dawn, too. They're like a pack of territorial attack dogs that feel like just bc Dawn and South Carolina are praised and in the spotlight now, it lessens the memory of Pat's accomplishments when one fact can stand independent of the other and both still be true.

Reaction Score
Can you give me an example of a male and a female coach with the exact same resume?
I'm certain Dawn can. I'd be interested to see one with the same list of accomplishments as Dawn or even (gag) Kim Mulkey.

Reaction Score
Did you listen to the context or just see the one line? She was complimenting her team for putting the team ahead of themselves and committing to winning the NC. "Keep the main thing the main thing" was their mantra all year long. Plus she believes that God has things planned out. It was divinely ordered - they just have to do their part. Dawn's just like every good coach - she knew what she was saying and was playing to the crowd, but her team and the FAMS knew the meaning. If you don't like her you don't like her but she is all about her team and promoting WBB. When she sent out the text to Paige, she meant it. There aren't many other coaches that would do that.

Arrogant? How about Cocky? ;) Goodness the woman has accomplished more as a player and coach than any human being in the WORLD. She can certainly back it up.
UConn players don’t put the team ahead of themselves? Stanford players don’t? Players of other programs don’t?

And when and where I said that I didn’t like her? I stated that I didn’t like what she said.

Reaction Score
And now we get to add being the defending National Champs AND probably start the season at #1.
I know the way-too-early preseason already has us at #1. Plus the national attention Dawn is getting is annoying a lot of opposing fan bases. We will absolutely be hunted ruthlessly next season.

Let them bring it. Bring ALL the smoke. We will be ready.

Reaction Score
Not every non fan dissecting each word she says #BigtimeStatus

Reaction Score
Love her or hate her, she’s obviously going to continue attracting players. After it’s all said and done, she will pass Summit for the most championships for a female coach….she may even challenge Geno’s number

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
FB_IMG_1635375835419.jpg

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member