Dawn Staley is happy to see women’s basketball dynasties end, as long as it’s not USC | The Boneyard

Dawn Staley is happy to see women’s basketball dynasties end, as long as it’s not USC

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Dawn Staley is happy to see women’s basketball dynasties end, as long as it’s not USC

“I think there’s just more parity. High-level players are choosing different schools. We saw it firsthand here,” Staley said. I think the fact that UConn isn’t the reigning champion for the past two years is a great thing for our game. A great thing. And all the UConn lovers, they have undefeated seasons, so they can continue to be happy in their space, but overall I think it’s great, and I hope the cycle never returns to a dynasty — unless it’s here.”

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
puppypoop.jpg

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
"And all the UConn lovers, they have undefeated seasons, so they can continue to be happy in their space"

Wut? Dawn says some really peculiar things from time to time. Needless to say South Carolina hasn't made us unhappy in our space and I don't see that changing any time soon.

Reaction Score

“I think there’s just more parity. High-level players are choosing different schools. We saw it firsthand here,” Staley said. I think the fact that UConn isn’t the reigning champion for the past two years is a great thing for our game. A great thing. And all the UConn lovers, they have undefeated seasons, so they can continue to be happy in their space, but overall I think it’s great, and I hope the cycle never returns to a dynasty — unless it’s here.”
Dawn isn’t against “dynasties”. She’s quoted as saying “ ....unless it’s here”. Only if it’s a UConn dynasty . Spoken by someone who knows she’s, at most, in second place and strives to reach the status of the acknowledged leader!

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
In fairness, Dawn said "I hope the cycle never returns to a dynasty - unless it's here..." She did not say "SC is now a dynasty".

Having said that, I know she's never exactly exuded class, but her comments were none the less surprising. "for all the UCONN lovers...undefeated seasons [but not winning NC's]... can be happy in their space" Just unnecessary.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Please excuse me for laughing, but I couldn't help myself. South Carolina won 1 Championship, and now they are a dynasty? Coach Dawn, you have 7-10 more Championships to go.

Staley said Little Carolina was a dynasty??

Reaction Score
Her comments demonstrate her long term, on-going aggressiveness, assertiveness bordering on obnoxiousness.
She's a good coach, yet to prove herself a great one and I'm still not sure what earned her the position as coach of our women's national team. She's not close to Tara or MM, let alone U Conn. And might make it into that next level. She's won one NC and still has yet to beat U Conn in a significant game. She got knocked out last year somewhat early with the NPOY supposedly overwhelming all opponents. That was her one chance at back to back championships and I doubt she will have another!
Wow! So impressive is she!
Bronx23

Reaction Score
Not a huge Dawn Staley fan, but I have to give her a pass here. She definitely wasn't saying SC is a dynasty - just giving her opinion that the sport is better off without dynasties, and of course having to add, unless SC becomes one. Just talking clunky, as she is wont.
As for the UCONN comment - so she's a little jealous. Can you blame her?? :D

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score
Not a huge Dawn Staley fan, but I have to give her a pass here. She definitely wasn't saying SC is a dynasty - just giving her opinion that the sport is better off without dynasties, and of course having to add, unless SC becomes one. Just talking clunky, as she is wont.
As for the UCONN comment - so she's a little jealous. Can you blame her?? :D

I wouldn't call it jealousy. Dynasties in all sports are typically only appreciated by their own fans.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
I wouldn't call it jealousy. Dynasties in all sports are typically only appreciated by their own fans.

True. It shouldn’t be some sort of surprise that opposing fanbases and coaches hate dynasties. Dawn isn’t the only one, but of course she’s one of the few willing to address it. Something tells me Frese, Mulkey, Walz and McGraw would’ve replied similarly.

With that being said, the last comment addressing UConn, you can tell Dawn is obviously a little peeved she hasn’t beaten the Huskies yet.... and that’s fine to be chippy, but personally I prefer more action and less talk. We’ve put together competitive quarters and halves versus UConn but not complete games.. until we do that, we shouldn’t give them any bulletin board material. But Dawn is a competitor at the highest level, she hates losing, so she’s installing a chip on her team’s shoulders... nobody expects SC to be any good this season, except our fans. Play the giant killer role all season.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Dawn has done a good job. SC was struggling when she took over. The team has SEC championships and a national title. A dynasty needs more than just one national title. They lost thier best player Wilson. Who will replace her?

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Dawn has done a good job. SC was struggling when she took over. The team has SEC championships and a national title. A dynasty needs more than just one national title. They lost thier best player Wilson. Who will replace her?

I don't have a lot of company in this opinion, but I think the Gamecocks will be better this season. Do you think Dawn scheduled such a tough non-conference schedule for a team she thought was going to be mediocre?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom