Dawn Staley is happy to see women’s basketball dynasties end, as long as it’s not USC | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Dawn Staley is happy to see women’s basketball dynasties end, as long as it’s not USC

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
I don't have a lot of company in this opinion, but I think the Gamecocks will be better this season. Do you think Dawn scheduled such a tough non-conference schedule for a team she thought was going to be mediocre?
I think that SC will be a good team. I think they will have better guard play. I think they will be a top 25 team. I am not seeing them. As a top five team.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
I think that SC will be a good team. I think they will have better guard play. I think they will be a top 25 team. I am not seeing them. As a top five team.

We will find out in November with that tough early schedule.

Reaction Score
Dawn Staley is happy to see women’s basketball dynasties end, as long as it’s not USC

“I think there’s just more parity. High-level players are choosing different schools. We saw it firsthand here,” Staley said. I think the fact that UConn isn’t the reigning champion for the past two years is a great thing for our game. A great thing. And all the UConn lovers, they have undefeated seasons, so they can continue to be happy in their space, but overall I think it’s great, and I hope the cycle never returns to a dynasty — unless it’s here.”
I agree with Dawn, but there are still some dynasties lurking ( ND, Baylor, etc). ND never has a poor team. They were brilliant last year despite devastating injuries. They should be a " walk-over" this year as NCAA champs. I don't see anyone beating them if they remain healthy. UCONN will have a great year, but it will take some player surprises for them to win it all. And UCONN fans only consider the "big games" ( non conference ) and the NCAA tournament in evaluating a season, as their league games are embarrassing due to lack of competitiveness. There is no reward to beating Cincinnati by 40 points. How does one get pumped up to watch UConn vs. Tulsa, or Memphis, or East Carolina, or SMU? Need I go on?

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
I agree with Dawn, but there are still some dynasties lurking ( ND, Baylor, etc). ND never has a poor team. They were brilliant last year despite devastating injuries. They should be a " walk-over" this year as NCAA champs. I don't see anyone beating them if they remain healthy. UCONN will have a great year, but it will take some player surprises for them to win it all. And UCONN fans only consider the "big games" ( non conference ) and the NCAA tournament in evaluating a season, as their league games are embarrassing due to lack of competitiveness. There is no reward to beating Cincinnati by 40 points. How does one get pumped up to watch UConn vs. Tulsa, or Memphis, or East Carolina, or SMU? Need I go on?

Any prospects for getting into a P5 conference? I always thought you guys should have been invited to join the ACC.

Reaction Score
Sports supply a useful out let for the display of emotions that we might other not other wise feel comfortable expressing. Part of the fun of college and other athletics is that it allows for identification with others in common cause and expressed in good natured rivalries. It is a safe release valve for unexpressed emotional build ups. Much like movies, music etc. They, however, should be kept in perspective and not be confused with things in our lives that they only provide a projected release for. Sports are a real part of the lives of the players and coaches, but to us as fans they are just a projection They really do not affect our lives at all except for what impact we create for them to have on us. In reality they are just a convenient escape from our own issues .

Uconn fans have had privilege of having the team they support dominate WCBB for decades. Put into the context that sports plays in the life of fans they should feel fortunate. When a team wins a game their fans feel happy and the other teams fans don't. Why should the winning team feel resentful that the losers are not happy they lost.? Some Uconn fans seem to feel that other fans do not have a right to be envious of and wish that it was their team that was the dynasty.

Part of fandom is wanting your own team to win. That is part of what can make sports fun. It is only when it becomes personal that the problem arises. The USC coach's statement was not out of line. No team or fan, other than the ones who are a part of or support a dynasty, likes for one team to dominate. Sports are not like life in many ways. In sports people will support failure our of fandom. Something that would be totally illogical and crazy in real life. Of course that is why fan is short for fanatic. In sports you are allowed too root for your team of choice and root against other teams of your choice. As long as it is in good fun -- no problem. It is all a mater of keeping perspective.

In sports and athletics there is seldom a level playing field. If there were their would be no dynasties or individuals who constantly win. Players playing the game and coaches are not equal in ability. Fans at every level wish their teams had the best coaches and players so their teams could win. Some teams will always lose and other will always win. Thats part of sports. Fandom can teach us about loyalty and how to keep trying despite failure. It can also teach us how to be gracious winners. Part of being a gracious winner is to understand how people on the losing end feel. Sometimes people who have not lost much forget that.

That is one of the good things about sports. It allows us to learn life lessons with minimal negative effects on others and ourselves.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom