Dawn is not Happy | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Dawn is not Happy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I am pleased with those posters who resisted the urge to dump on Dawn and the Gamecocks. I hate eating CROW or GAMECOCKs at seasons end so I too shall resist the urge.
Remember last year when Geno sat Stewie, and Tuck for almost an entire game to prove a point.

Reaction Score
Notre Dame on Dec 5. We play Kansas State, Nebraska, Chattanooga (25) and DePaul (26) before that. No tropical islands this year.
Depaul plays Baylor on Sunday for the WNIT.

Reaction Score
Dawn knows exactly what the problem was last night - they played down to their competition and were thinking about the trip to L.A. this weekend and the beaches of Waikiki after that. She's using the media to try and get through to the team that you have to bring it every day. I hate to admit it, but I have the same problem with some of my employees calling in sick too much. Tiffany is too quiet to be the vocal leader on the court that will get everyone in line. This team doesn't currently have a clear leader on the court. If someone grabs that role by the horns this will be a great season. If nobody does then it will simply be an above average season. I think Khadijah Sessions is the most likely player to do that. Maybe Asia Dozier.

BTW, I wasn't happy last night, either.

I think part of the lack of motivation was playing in front of a tiny crowd when the first 2 games had almost 17,000 and almost 14,000. There were barely 1000 at Clemson last night in their high school gym that their WBB team is using while they renovate Port-a-john Coliseum.

NO slander here cockhrn but any coach that needs the media to get through to the team should just simply get through. Any coach that has to resort to outside sources for reinforcement is way to weak to be in a position of leadership. As for the problem with your employees you are either paying them too little which brings the undedicated or too much which means they can make a good living working part time. A solution I found used by an employer years ago was when someone called in / out sick and would be in tomorrow, they were told to take two more days off. This to be sure what ever they had would not make others sick. It was amazing how a very small paycheck could improve on ones health. Thus improving even a slackers attendance....

Reaction Score
NO slander here cockhrn but any coach that needs the media to get through to the team should just simply get through. Any coach that has to resort to outside sources for reinforcement is way to weak to be in a position of leadership. As for the problem with your employees you are either paying them too little which brings the undedicated or too much which means they can make a good living working part time. A solution I found used by an employer years ago was when someone called in / out sick and would be in tomorrow, they were told to take two more days off. This to be sure what ever they had would not make others sick. It was amazing how a very small paycheck could improve on ones health. Thus improving even a slackers attendance....

Two things---you are speaking of days of my youth when Employers (except Def Contractors) paid no OT (straight time for OT) or sick days or health insurance , if you had health insurance they wouldn't pay for a baby born in less than 12 months from date of employment and you had to be married.. Take 2 more days off meant 2 more days of pay deducted from the pay check. How I long for the GOOD ole daze.

Second. I don't know if GENO needed the media to get thru to his team---BUT---Geno, going back a few years, used the Media liberally naming players and comments. Sveta Abrosamosa had a running Media battle with him. Should he have been " simply get through"?? Lots of fans over they years have complained of his use of the media in that manner. It would appear, as in many things, Geno has mellowed in this respect too. It did not seem to affect his winning ways, did it??

Reaction Score
Actually, I like this response from Dawn - I could easily imagine Geno saying it. First of all, it's honest - it's not BS coachspeak, pretending that everyone is above average and it's a wonderful world. Second, it speaks to the mystery that is coaching a collection of college kids - they aren't all alike, one size doesn't fit all, each team and each year has a different dynamic. It also implies - correctly, in my view - that all the onus isn't on the coaching staff to make things work. Part of the job lies with the players, and, at least early in the season, a veteran coach will give them some rope. Geno has mention, if memory serves, there's been a couple of seasons where he's let this sort of dynamic play out, and then has had to use the "nuclear option" of taking over, and uniting the team in their dislike of his approach. Not his preferred method, and not Dawn's either, I'd guess.

In watching Geno and others during games (big games) and at the start of half time--a microphone is stuffed in their faces and they are expected to come up with instance analysis> . Try it the next time you are in a stressful situation and see what you say other than DAAAAAAAA.

Reaction Score
Second. I don't know if GENO needed the media to get thru to his team---BUT---Geno, going back a few years, used the Media liberally naming players and comments. Sveta Abrosamosa had a running Media battle with him. Should he have been " simply get through"?? Lots of fans over they years have complained of his use of the media in that manner. It would appear, as in many things, Geno has mellowed in this respect too. It did not seem to affect his winning ways, did it??
I don't think using the media is a sign of weakness. Just another tool. An easy tool to mis-use and make a fool out of yourself too - something to which Geno is no stranger. Geno may have mellowed, but he also may have become a more sophisticated media user in his old age. He seems to have more access to the national media than any of his peers, so why not use it to his advantage?

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score

Coaches use the media to make comments about their team all the time. You obviously haven't been observing sports very long.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
There is a lot of talk on this thread that identifies Dawn as a "good" coach maybe even a few "greats" though I don't remember them.

In order to be "great" you've got to win it all and/or often be hanging around.
Dawn has a crapload of talent. Let's see her do something with it.

I haven't seen anything so wonderful yet and the final prize has not been achieved.

I consider Muffit very fine, possibly great; she does a lot with less.

When Dawn wins a few, we'll talk
And if her team underperforms this year, they'll be whispers or worse.
Not prognosticating, its way too early, just observing.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
There is a lot of talk on this thread that identifies Dawn as a "good" coach maybe even a few "greats" though I don't remember them.

In order to be "great" you've got to win it all and/or often be hanging around.
Dawn has a crapload of talent. Let's see her do something with it.

I haven't seen anything so wonderful yet and the final prize has not been achieved.

I consider Muffit very fine, possibly great; she does a lot with less.

When Dawn wins a few, we'll talk
And if her team underperforms this year, they'll be whispers or worse.
Not prognosticating, its way too early, just observing.
My issue with this straw-man is that everyone besides UCONN would have underachieved not just Dawn. Here are the list of schools that have had a "crapload MORE" talent than South Carolina under Dawn.
ND.
Tennessee
Kentucky
Louisville
Duke
Baylor
Stanford
North Carolina
Texas A&M
Texas
UCLA
California
Maryland
Since Dawn became coach of South Carolina in 2008 only Blair & Mulkey have won the "ultimate prize " from this list of schools . So if your definition of great is achieving the ultimate prize that would put Hatchell =Tara =Blair =Muffett=Frese=Peck (all great?) < Mulkey ?? Sorry I'm not buying that.
Dawn has built a great program in a place where Women's basketball was barely an afterthought.
Dawn will probably be the next Olympic Coach if/when Geno decides to hang it up. Only great coaches get to coach US Olympic team-except Ann Donovan in 2008 who we can surely agree was a mistake.

Reaction Score
My issue with this straw-man is that everyone besides UCONN would have underachieved not just Dawn. Here are the list of schools that have had a "crapload MORE" talent than South Carolina under Dawn.
ND.
Tennessee
Kentucky
Louisville
Duke
Baylor
Stanford
North Carolina
Texas A&M
Texas
UCLA
California
Maryland
Since Dawn became coach of South Carolina in 2008 only Blair & Mulkey have won the "ultimate prize " from this list of schools . So if your definition of great is achieving the ultimate prize that would put Hatchell =Tara =Blair =Muffett=Frese=Peck (all great?) < Mulkey ?? Sorry I'm not buying that.
Dawn has built a great program in a place where Women's basketball was barely an afterthought.
Dawn will probably be the next Olympic Coach if/when Geno decides to hang it up. Only great coaches get to coach US Olympic team-except Ann Donovan in 2008 who we can surely agree was a mistake.
Coco - I like the way you presented your argument and I have to agree with the comparisons with all those teams/coaches.
Everyone agrees that Dawn was one of the greatest players of all time. She is a very good coach, but does not get to great yet (IMO) on such a short resume. Remember, (even though it was previously Temple) she has been a head coach for awhile. IMHO she could be on that path to greatest, but she has not reached the destination yet. She has a ton of talent this year and the next few years too. Let's talk then.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score

Sorry Coco:

My first day in an introduction to logic class (those many years ago at Hunter College)
my professor taught some basic, often made errors called fallacies.
You conclusion was a classic example

Dawn will be....coach...
Only great coaches get to...
therefore: Dawn must therefore be great (implied)

Total nonsense as well as a classic error in correct thought and assumptions

Reaction Score
I have no problem with what coach Staley said. South Carolina has National Championship potential. If the coach doesn't expect them to play at a high standard, then the coach doesn't believe in the team. Champions have to act (think, plan, and play) like champions before they are champions. Coach is trying to get her players to play to at a high clip. All about having standards and expectations.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Sorry Coco:

My first day in an introduction to logic class (those many years ago at Hunter College)

Dawn will be....coach...

Logic at Hunter College? How could I possibly argue with that? Except to apply the definition of great coach you stated and point out that if Dawn doesn't meet the definition no one else does either- except Geno. If your thesis is that there are no great coaches besides Geno there was no need to mention Muffett or Dawn.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Sorry Coco:

Dawn will be....coach...

Hunter College: my cousin graduated from there and my grandmother was literally born across the street at 118 East 68th.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
cockhrnleghrn said:
Hunter College: my cousin graduated from there and my grandmother was literally born across the street at 118 East 68th.
My mother graduated from Hunter with Bella Abzugg and my future son in law is getting his ms in urban planning there!

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Nice place
They let me come back (after I twisted some arms)
And finish my MA in Musicology after a 40-year hiatus, seven or eight years ago.

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
Seems there needs to be a specialty school for just about everything these days.
Years ago, someone's father or friend would take them into the woods and teach them to hunt.
Now there's a gosh durn Hunter College for it.
Amazing. :D

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
My mother graduated from Hunter with Bella Abzugg and my future son in law is getting his ms in urban planning there!

She and my cousin would have been there around the same time, I'm sure.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
What is Hunter College?? Where is it ? Do they have a WCBB team ? If they do... did they underachieve ?

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
What is Hunter College?? Where is it ? Do they have a WCBB team ? If they do... did they underachieve ?

Manhattan; UES. I don't know if they have an athletics program. I think they're part of CUNY.

Reaction Score
When you are successful one years its very difficult to match it the following year.............UCONN has always been the exception.........Since 1995.............

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
My mother went to Hunter College High School and then went on to get a BA and MA in four years at Brown.

Reaction Score
alexrgct said:
My mother went to Hunter College High School and then went on to get a BA and MA in four years at Brown.

Yay! I didn't go to Hunter College High but I did the same 4 year program at Brown (2001). Did she absolutely love it as I?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom