David Price signs with Sox | Page 2 | The Boneyard

David Price signs with Sox

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Yeah, that contract is definitely the First 3 years / Remaining 4 years.

If you look at Sabathia, over 5 seasons from age 25-29, he pitched 1,153 innings. Gave the Yankees 3 good years, then the wheels came off.
For Price, over 5 seasons from age 25-29, he's pitched 1,089 innings (12 IP less per year).

Paying him that much for the final 4 years isn't just overpriced, it's going to anchor down that franchise from making any other big moves.

Reaction Score
I think Dombrowski did the right thing. He could have made a lesser offer and lost Price to the Cardinals or the Cubs. He then would be in the position of having to find another top-of-the rotation starter. Greinke would have cost just as much and is two years older and doesn't know the AL East as well as Price. Apparently Price is a good club-house guy and a good PR guy too. I would like to see him find another starter perhaps through the trade route and he needs one or two arms for the pen. I think the toughest things for him were to find a closer, find a top-of-rotation starter and unload Hanley and/or Sandoval. It's the beginning of December and he is off to a good start.

Reaction Score
Just curious....a few times in this thread (and other Sox related talk) there's been mention of "unloading" Sandoval and Ramirez.

How do you think either of those are going to be possible unless the Sox eat a huge chunk of the remaining dollars? Like how the Angels ate 65m of Josh Hamilton's remaining 80m.

Sandoval is on the hook for 72m over the next 4 seasons. Ramirez is on the hook for 68.25m over the next 3 seasons. What are you going to do? Eat 100m just to get them off your roster?

Reaction Score
Just curious....a few times in this thread (and other Sox related talk) there's been mention of "unloading" Sandoval and Ramirez.

How do you think either of those are going to be possible unless the Sox eat a huge chunk of the remaining dollars? Like how the Angels ate 65m of Josh Hamilton's remaining 80m.

Sandoval is on the hook for 72m over the next 4 seasons. Ramirez is on the hook for 68.25m over the next 3 seasons. What are you going to do? Eat 100m just to get them off your roster?
Obviously, that would be tough to swallow. Perhaps, Dombrowski can find someone who needs a DH and some offense and someone else who needs a third baseman. There are other teams out there who have over-paid players who might be willing to make a trade. But you are correct, they will undoubtedly need to eat some salary. The challenge will be to minimize the damage.

Reaction Score

Either eat a lot or include a better prospect(s) than they want to give up in a trade.

Reaction Score
Either eat a lot or include a better prospect(s) than they want to give up in a trade.

You mean eat almost all of it AND include prospects they want in trade. Hanley is done, no one will want him and Sandoval will probably be even more spherical shaped next season.

Reaction Score
Who were the Red Sox competing with to sign Price? The Yankees made clear that they aren't going that route again, at least not now. Was there any other team remotely this desperate?

I guess that's what I don't get. Dombrowski offering Price the largest pitcher's contract in baseball history out of the gates seems like Kramer biting on the free coffee deal to me.

As fans, yeah, it's not our money. And there is no doubt that the Sox are now a much better team. But I'm not seeing any strategery here that a three year old with daddy's checkbook and zero discretion couldn't have pulled off.
He was about to go the Cards. DD had to overpay. I'm not really too concerned about paying the extra 3-4 mil a year because option 2 was Greinke who would have cost us our 1st round pick.
Overpay Price 3-4 mil a year over the next option and keep your 1st rounder (12th overall).
I mean in a perfect world you overbid by one penny. But FA isn't always perfect.

Reaction Score
You mean eat almost all of it AND include prospects they want in trade. Hanley is done, no one will want him and Sandoval will probably be even more spherical shaped next season.
Is there a history of teams paying almost an entire contract and adding prospects? It's usually one or the other, vast majority eating most of the contract.

I could see the Sox paying half of his remaining deal and Hanley DH'ing for someone for 10 mil a year (their cost) for the next 3 years. I don't think that's a debilitating contract for another team and I think he still can hit. He had 10 HR early in the season, then banged up his shoulder and sucked after that I believe.

I'm not saying I think someone will def take Hanley but I wouldn't be stunned. JA Happ just got a 12 mil per year deal. He was good for like 2 months last year. Crazier things have happened.

Reaction Score
Love the optimism that another team will be eager to pick up the last four years of the contract at the highest annual salary. Yeah, that happens a lot.
They wouldn't be picking up the last 4 years, once he opts out he's looking for a 4-6 year deal for something more than 127 million, which is what his current final 4 years would be.
CC and A-Rod opted out. Greinke opted out. Those are 3 off the top of my head. They all did or will do well with those moves.
Of course this is entirely dependent on how Price does for the next 3 years and how much more absurd the market is in 3 more years.

Reaction Score
Right. Because the team that blows $217 million over 7 years, when faced with their ace leaving via free agency ISN'T going to resign their ace.

I'm not sure what the color of the sky is in your universe, but enjoy it.
He'll be 33 in 3 years. There will be more talent on the FA market when he opts out. And who is to say he's definitely the best pitcher on the team at that point?

Reaction Score
Yeah, that contract is definitely the First 3 years / Remaining 4 years.

If you look at Sabathia, over 5 seasons from age 25-29, he pitched 1,153 innings. Gave the Yankees 3 good years, then the wheels came off.
For Price, over 5 seasons from age 25-29, he's pitched 1,089 innings (12 IP less per year).

Paying him that much for the final 4 years isn't just overpriced, it's going to anchor down that franchise from making any other big moves.
I wouldn't count on that. You think Sox ownership will put the checkbook away for 4 straight years?
His potential 4th year, the Sox have 90 million committed as of now. His 5th year, it goes down to 65 million committed. 6th year 44 million committed.

Reaction Score
Is there a history of teams paying almost an entire contract and adding prospects? It's usually one or the other, vast majority eating most of the contract.

I could see the Sox paying half of his remaining deal and Hanley DH'ing for someone for 10 mil a year (their cost) for the next 3 years. I don't think that's a debilitating contract for another team and I think he still can hit. He had 10 HR early in the season, then banged up his shoulder and sucked after that I believe.

I'm not saying I think someone will def take Hanley but I wouldn't be stunned. JA Happ just got a 12 mil per year deal. He was good for like 2 months last year. Crazier things have happened.

The only way they are getting rid of Hanley without prospects is doing what Angels did with Hamilton, paying $73 million of $80 million owed to him. Half of Hanley's contract is $11 million and he has an option for a fouth year. He had 10 HR early in the season but nothing else, no doubles, walks and his speed is gone.

Reaction Score
The only way they are getting rid of Hanley without prospects is doing what Angels did with Hamilton, paying $73 million of $80 million owed to him. Half of Hanley's contract is $11 million and he has an option for a fouth year. He had 10 HR early in the season but nothing else, no doubles, walks and his speed is gone.
you said they would have to pay 90% and include prospects.
Regardless, I think the Hamilton trade was a special case, he had another drug relapse, and Moreno hated him and wanted desperately to kick him off the team..even if it meant paying 90% of the deal.

I'll disagree with you in that I don't think Hanley's career is over. If he stays with Boston he'll be 1B where he belongs and then will shift to DH once Ortiz leaves after the year.

But we'll see what happens.

Reaction Score
you said they would have to pay 90% and include prospects.
Regardless, I think the Hamilton trade was a special case, he had another drug relapse, and Moreno hated him and wanted desperately to kick him off the team..even if it meant paying 90% of the deal.

I'll disagree with you in that I don't think Hanley's career is over. If he stays with Boston he'll be 1B where he belongs and then will shift to DH once Ortiz leaves after the year.

But we'll see what happens.

Okay I was exaggerating but it's not far off.

Sandoval at 3rd with Hanley at first, the pitchers are going to love that defense.

Reaction Score
Well I agree with you regarding that. Very good defense up the middle and in the outfield, awful on the corners.

Reaction Score

Well...presumably they would eat less if they also give up good prospects in return for OK (not great) guys back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom