David Price signs with Sox | The Boneyard

David Price signs with Sox

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Overpay.

@SportsCenter: David Price in the regular season: 104-56, 3.10 ERA
David Price in the postseason: 0-7, 5.27 ERA https://post original url/7vFPOjdXZz

Last edited:
Reaction Score
All these contracts are over the top and it gets worse every year.
Lester would have been a bargain.

Reaction Score
The end of that contract is going to be a disaster, just like CC's.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
F the $. Great get.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
elite caliber position players>>>elite caliber pitchers

Just gonna leave that beauty right there.

So, whaddya figure, something like $250M apiece for Bogaerts and Betts?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
As a Mets fan this screams one thing to me: Must. Trade. Harvey. Now!

Reaction Score
The end of that contract is going to be a disaster, just like CC's.

Well I guess my hope is he does well for the first three years and he opts out for the last 4 years. It would have been hard for Yankees to let CC walk after he opted out but it probably would have been the right call.

Reaction Score
Do not really care about the huge money but seven years is scary.

That said....legit ace for next 3-4 years.

Reaction Score
Going to be funny if they cant unload Hanley. That contract along with Prices are going to handcuff the Red Sox with making moves in the future just like all those contracts caught up to the Yankees.

Current Sox payroll for 2016 at $183mm for just 12 players doesnt include arbitration eligible players or other players they may sign. Also doesnt include Chris Young's salary.

Reaction Score
Going to be funny if they cant unload Hanley. That contract along with Prices are going to handcuff the Red Sox with making moves in the future just like all those contracts caught up to the Yankees.

Current Sox payroll for 2016 at $183mm for just 12 players doesnt include arbitration eligible players or other players they may sign. Also doesnt include Chris Young's salary.

Don't forget Sandoval, owed 18 million per for next 5 years while he just keeps getting fatter and fatter.

Reaction Score
Couple things.

Contract aside Dombrowski just fixed the two biggest needs in the last few weeks. Bullpen and ace. The Red Sox are a hell of a lot better now than they were a month ago. On top of the Chris Young signing as their 4th OF, I don't really see a big need they have at the moment.

Regarding contract, its a ridiculous one. Oh well. We just saw what the Reds were asking for Chapman and what the Padres already got for Kimbrel. Add a lot more to get a Sonny Gray or even a Carlos Carrasco. So the Sox had two options spend a huge amount on ace or have no farm system left and have a great young cheap starter.

I'll sign Price and keep the rest of their farm system.

Also, he has a 3 year opt out. I hope he's in position to use it. I hope we get 3 great years and then another team pays for him when he's 33-39 years old.

Painful contract but Boston is in position to be a force this year. Unless Price's arm falls off.

Reaction Score
Couple things.

Contract aside Dombrowski just fixed the two biggest needs in the last few weeks. Bullpen and ace. The Red Sox are a hell of a lot better now than they were a month ago. On top of the Chris Young signing as their 4th OF, I don't really see a big need they have at the moment.

Regarding contract, its a ridiculous one. Oh well. We just saw what the Reds were asking for Chapman and what the Padres already got for Kimbrel. Add a lot more to get a Sonny Gray or even a Carlos Carrasco. So the Sox had two options spend a huge amount on ace or have no farm system left and have a great young cheap starter.

I'll sign Price and keep the rest of their farm system.

Also, he has a 3 year opt out. I hope he's in position to use it. I hope we get 3 great years and then another team pays for him when he's 33-39 years old.

Painful contract but Boston is in position to be a force this year. Unless Price's arm falls off.
I agree, it is a lot of money but the Sox now have filled to huge holes in their 2015 roster. If Dombrowski can unload Ramirez and Pablo, he has made huge progress.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Who were the Red Sox competing with to sign Price? The Yankees made clear that they aren't going that route again, at least not now. Was there any other team remotely this desperate?

I guess that's what I don't get. Dombrowski offering Price the largest pitcher's contract in baseball history out of the gates seems like Kramer biting on the free coffee deal to me.

As fans, yeah, it's not our money. And there is no doubt that the Sox are now a much better team. But I'm not seeing any strategery here that a three year old with daddy's checkbook and zero discretion couldn't have pulled off.

Love the optimism that another team will be eager to pick up the last four years of the contract at the highest annual salary. Yeah, that happens a lot.

Reaction Score
Who were the Red Sox competing with to sign Price? The Yankees made clear that they aren't going that route again, at least not now. Was there any other team remotely this desperate?

According to reports, Boston's offer was $27 million over St. Louis. Price preferred the Cubs to the Cards, but they were 3rd on his list because they had the 3rd highest offer. It was all about the $. He wanted and got more than Kershaw. Be interesting to see how much Greinke gets now.

Reaction Score
Well I guess my hope is he does well for the first three years and he opts out for the last 4 years. It would have been hard for Yankees to let CC walk after he opted out but it probably would have been the right call.

If he opts out, that means he's living up to the contract. At which point, the Sox will be under pressure to RE-sign him. If he isn't living up to the deal, there is no chance he opts out.

There is no scenario under which the Sox are going to get out from under the decline years of this deal.

Reaction Score
I guess I need to get started on the "Best Team EVAH 3.0" avatar

Reaction Score
If he opts out, that means he's living up to the contract. At which point, the Sox will be under pressure to RE-sign him. If he isn't living up to the deal, there is no chance he opts out.

There is no scenario under which the Sox are going to get out from under the decline years of this deal.
Thanks Captain Obvious. What if he opts out and they don't re-sign him?

Reaction Score
Thanks Captain Obvious. What if he opts out and they don't re-sign him?
Right. Because the team that blows $217 million over 7 years, when faced with their ace leaving via free agency ISN'T going to resign their ace.

I'm not sure what the color of the sky is in your universe, but enjoy it.

Reaction Score
Just gonna leave that beauty right there.

So, whaddya figure, something like $250M apiece for Bogaerts and Betts?

I don't think you understand the point of the original post. It is incredibly hard to find good hitters that provide +defense at their respective positions, relative to starting pitching. Both Bogaerts and Betts are four/five years younger than Matt Harvey, haven't had major surgery and are under team control for multiple years. While neither guy is considered a perennial all-star right this minute, both have the potential to be extremely special players. If Betts, Bogaerts and Harvey were all free agents right this minute, I don't think it would be ridiculous if either guy received a larger contract offer than Harvey would.

Did Boston overpay for Price? Absolutely. Was there anyway they would get him if they didn't outbid the Cards or Cubs? No.

Reaction Score
Right. Because the team that blows $217 million over 7 years, when faced with their ace leaving via free agency ISN'T going to resign their ace.

I'm not sure what the color of the sky is in your universe, but enjoy it.

Blue?

Reaction Score
8893 said:
Who were the Red Sox competing with to sign Price? The Yankees made clear that they aren't going that route again, at least not now. Was there any other team remotely this desperate? I guess that's what I don't get. Dombrowski offering Price the largest pitcher's contract in baseball history out of the gates seems like Kramer biting on the free coffee deal to me. As fans, yeah, it's not our money. And there is no doubt that the Sox are now a much better team. But I'm not seeing any strategery here that a three year old with daddy's checkbook and zero discretion couldn't have pulled off. Love the optimism that another team will be eager to pick up the last four years of the contract at the highest annual salary. Yeah, that happens a lot.

St. Louis was heavily involved with Price. Made him a substantial bid (how much I haven't seen), but Sox had to top it.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
So the Sox have now taken the Mets' former mantle as the team that has to overpay by dozens of millions just to get elite players to even consider playing there?

Not sure how or when that happened, but I'm glad it did.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I don't think you understand the point of the original post. It is incredibly hard to find good hitters that provide +defense at their respective positions, relative to starting pitching. Both Bogaerts and Betts are four/five years younger than Matt Harvey, haven't had major surgery and are under team control for multiple years. While neither guy is considered a perennial all-star right this minute, both have the potential to be extremely special players. If Betts, Bogaerts and Harvey were all free agents right this minute, I don't think it would be ridiculous if either guy received a larger contract offer than Harvey would.

Did Boston overpay for Price? Absolutely. Was there anyway they would get him if they didn't outbid the Cards or Cubs? No.
Bogaerts has one more year of team control than Harvey does.

I got your point, I just disagree with it. I think both Bogaerts and Betts are nice players with good upside and potential, but Harvey has already proven himself as one of the top players in the game IMO. The only reason I want to get rid of him now is because Boras is his agent, which means there is no way he is signing an extension with the Mets, and there is no way the Mets are going to pay what the market will command for him when he hits free agency, especially with guys like Dombrowski out there willing to overpay for declining years. Boras is also Bogaerts's agent, which means the Mets wouldn't have been likely to resign him, either, in the hypothetical trade scenario, but the extra year of team control and the fact that he fills a need for the Mets (whereas we are loaded with top pitchers) made sense to me if the Sox were throwing in something else of decent value as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom