David Ortiz the Journey | Page 2 | The Boneyard

David Ortiz the Journey

Reaction Score
Way to give him the benefit of the doubt though. Classy.

Why should he be given that benefit? Mike Piazza had to wait to get in the Hall of Fame with his numbers as a catcher while Jeff Bagwell is denied the Hall with his. These two never failed a drug test.

Considering that the other names that leaked with Ortiz turned out to be true, why should Ortiz get a pass?

Reaction Score
Why should he be given that benefit? Mike Piazza had to wait to get in the Hall of Fame with his numbers as a catcher while Jeff Bagwell is denied the Hall with his. These two never failed a drug test.

Considering that the other names that leaked with Ortiz turned out to be true, why should Ortiz get a pass?

I guess we will never know about Piazza, Bagwell and others from that era. MLB didn't start testing until 2004 so given their physical changes and types of injuries they will be suspected, particularly Bagwell. I hope the testing deters players now but it probably hasn't caught up with the users secret formulas in many sports. So who knows. But with players that kept playing through that era without major changes in their size and performance I have less of a suspicion. The article only discusses that Ortiz's numbers got better as he got older and that coincides with other on steroids. It's one angle. It could be but players like Ortiz are drawing a lot of attention towards use and are tested accordingly. If he is willing to take that chance he risks everything. Could be. I didn't mean anything against Mau and like his posts but the OP set up a nice thread about his last year and by the 5th post there's a link to the article. I suppose that's what it's going to be like for Ortiz.

Reaction Score
I guess we will never know about Piazza, Bagwell and others from that era. MLB didn't start testing until 2004 so given their physical changes and types of injuries they will be suspected, particularly Bagwell. I hope the testing deters players now but it probably hasn't caught up with the users secret formulas in many sports. So who knows. But with players that kept playing through that era without major changes in their size and performance I have less of a suspicion. The article only discusses that Ortiz's numbers got better as he got older and that coincides with other on steroids. It's one angle. It could be but players like Ortiz are drawing a lot of attention towards use and are tested accordingly. If he is willing to take that chance he risks everything. Could be. I didn't mean anything against Mau and like his posts but the OP set up a nice thread about his last year and by the 5th post there's a link to the article. I suppose that's what it's going to be like for Ortiz.

I don't like the guy think he's a phony and a cheat and whether you believe it or not he's not considered with the likes of Bagwell, Piazza and the others. Sounds to me like most give him the benefit of the doubt except Shaunessey who was the smart one. Top it off with the fact they are all tested and they're all still getting away with it, not their fault.

Agree maybe not the thread to have thrown it in my bad, sorry. Have your fun with the DH who doesn't run out ground balls LOL

Reaction Score
I need to make all of you guys laugh a little and this is true, believe it or not. I will preface by saying minus the Papster, I don't mind this team at all. This isn't the team of the past with Youk, Kapler, Millar, the Schill and a bunch of unlikable idiots, they have some young kids who are coming into their own and while I don't openly "like" them I respect their games in a big way. (could do without the stupid crap in the OF after a win, ridiculous but it's their thing. Should be football players though lol). Still they are the Sox.

But know this, if they somehow end up playing the Blue Jays, mau will be rooting for the Sox although you will only hear about it and see it here now. I will want Papi to go 0-fer-20 but the rest to have career series against that classless group of arrogant cheat a**es. Too much posing and passion on that jays team to like many of them at all.

So good luck to the Sox fans, if you play the Jays!;)

Reaction Score
I know you aren't a kid but are you old enough to have seen Ted Williams? There is really no way to explain what an incredible hitter he was....best in history on any team and he never had near the protection as Ortiz. It was an event if he struck out. Defensive shift was invented for Williams.
Not knocking Ortiz whose clutch hitting continues to amaze me.

Not arguing that. Williams may have been greatest hitter ever. Ortiz is not Williams in that regard. Williams is among top 10-20 players of all time. Ortiz is not.

But for what he did in Boston, Ortiz is the greatest Red Sox ever. Dont think it is really that debateable. HOFer.

Reaction Score
Not arguing that. Williams may have been greatest hitter ever. Ortiz is not Williams in that regard. Williams is among top 10-20 players of all time. Ortiz is not.

But for what he did in Boston, Ortiz is the greatest Red Sox ever. Dont think it is really that debateable. HOFer.

Oh it's debatable for sure. Pretty sure Ted knew where his glove was every game he played unlike your guy. I was brought up where baseball wasn't sitting in the dugout picking out your best 14K necklace for the game rather than a Wilson A2000 .... not even sure he would know what that was quite honestly. No ONE tool guys can be HOFers, need to play the game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom