David Onuorah | Page 2 | The Boneyard

David Onuorah

Reaction Score
Very smart screener too which isn't so common at this level. Watched an interview after the game and the kid is extremely well spoken. I think he's a great piece for the team this year. Knows his role and won't be concerned with minutes, shots, etc.

Reaction Score
Him and Cobb are country strong. We haven’t had bodies like that in a while. Our guards needs to keep their guys in front of them since we don’t have shot blockers.
Ever as far as two guys go. What’s up with MD?

Reaction Score
I'll be honest -- I think he got too many minutes. He wasn't particularly good defensively, he brought the ball down after getting the rebound a couple of times and got stripped once because of it, and even though he set very good screens he didn't seem to have any idea what to do after he set the screen. Teams will blitz the ball handler off of his screens going forward. 8-10 minutes should be his max per night.

Reaction Score
I'll be honest -- I think he got too many minutes. He wasn't particularly good defensively, he brought the ball down after getting the rebound a couple of times and got stripped once because of it, and even though he set very good screens he didn't seem to have any idea what to do after he set the screen. Teams will blitz the ball handler off of his screens going forward. 8-10 minutes should be his max per night.
Bad take imo. Bringing the ball down can be fixed with one film session and a week of practice. Quality screening is imperative to all basketball offense, but especially the one KO wants to run. And probably the hardest thing to do well coming off a hip injury is move after setting a rugged screen. Said himself the quickness is the slowest thing coming back to him and that yesterday was the first day he felt great, and a good bit of that was probably adrenaline.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
If UConn adds a competent screen and roll to the offensive game plan, it will disguise the 3 point shooting that much more, until Vital can get on track. The bigs have to hit their free throws though. 5-9 is not going to get it done (Backcourt was 12/14).

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I got to the Chat room with about 13 minutes to go in the game. Everyone in there wanted Onuorah off the team and KO fired.

Reaction Score
SMU, Cincy and Temple bigs have pushed us around for 5 years, and I look forward to them trying their usual dirty tactics this year. Big Dave, Cobb, Whaley and Carlton will put them on their ass.

Reaction Score
SMU, Cincy and Temple bigs have pushed us around for 5 years, and I look forward to them trying their usual dirty tactics this year. Big Dave, Cobb, Whaley and Carlton will put them on their ass.

I want you to be right. I really do. The p.k will give us an idea if the recruits are high or mid major level. Every top 10 team plays freshmen now so that is no excuse. I am with holding judgement until pk.

Reaction Score
Cobb and Dave O shouldn't get pushed around by anyone but Whaley is a twig and Carlton needs to gain strength.

Reaction Score
Again, we get caught in this great or suck trap.

He showed he can help simply by setting screens and not looking to shoot, and by rebounding. Not yet sold on his ability to guard a big insider, and he's not going to help us scoring. We are a big by committee team. None of them are likely to really grab a hold of playing time this year. Hopefully, as a group, they can get it done.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Whaley and Carlton are not putting anyone on their ass.

Reaction Score

He showed he can help simply by setting screens and not looking to shoot, and by rebounding. Not yet sold on his ability to guard a big insider, and he's not going to help us scoring. We are a big by committee team. None of them are likely to really grab a hold of playing time this year. Hopefully, as a group, they can get it done.

That is exactly right. We should judge players by their strengths and not their weaknesses. Because all players will have both. It's like ragging on Derek Jeter because he wasn't a power hitter. Teams are groups of complementary players. And this year, there looks to be enough answers inside to match up regardless of opponent.

Reaction Score
Wasn't that Cobb who was failing to defend the 3pt shot?

Felt like DO came in during the timeout after their big hit back to back 3pts and then we went I our run.

I was getting confused who was at the 5. Guess I need those new glasses. I dumped on DO, then learned later it was Cobb.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
...i can't take credit for this observation, but...

the 2nd coming of Torraino Walker. Ok, maybe his hair. :)
Some points for physical resemblance, though I'm pretty confident he'll sustain a good attitude for his full season. For those not familiar, a quarter century ago, Torraino Walker was a true rarity: a walk-off co-captain.

Wordbomar

"Walker on McGee with four.."
Reaction Score
I want you to be right. I really do. The p.k will give us an idea if the recruits are high or mid major level. Every top 10 team plays freshmen now so that is no excuse. I am with holding judgement until pk.

You are not wrong... however...

That being said, we generally have our success when our guys develop. Duke, KU, and Kentucky roll out freshman because they get a ton of top 25 recruits and they are ready right away

C

Chief00

Those who saw him in the summer league said not to expect much but DO is much better as a comp piece that only needs to defend, rebound, and set screens. Playground basketball is not a good showcase of his value. If he could develop any pnr offense this team will be so much better.

Good point - summer leagues and utube Dunk videos are very different from competitive structured basketball. In the summer league even if you set a good screen most dudes don’t know how to use it.

So we got 14 rebounds out of our center position last night. I will take that.

C

Chief00

I don’t disagree - And we won’t fully appreciate their offensive deficiency until Bigs score against us drawing a contrast. But still screens and rebounds are something we haven’t seen much of the last couple of years.

Reaction Score
Cobb and Dave O shouldn't get pushed around by anyone but Whaley is a twig and Carlton needs to gain strength.

Whaley may be a twig but I’d go to war with him every day of the week and twice on Sunday over softies Vance, Enoch and Brimah.

Reaction Score
Its nice to see bigs not have the ball slapped out of his hands all night.

That's what I think about after every rebound. First that they got into position to make one and second that they don't fumble the rock or get it stripped by a guy half their size.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom