David Collins | The Boneyard

David Collins

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
The kid has skills, what's his rank?

Reaction Score
Just a couple thoughts, Caupain's leaving I don't know what else they have coming in.

Gilbert (coming back healthy?) and MAL are coming in with maybe Jalen and Vital there. Where's the best chance of his landing? Unless Jalen is on the move (or they're afraid of Alteriques injury) he'd be somewhat crazy to head this way next year.

Certainly physically ready for the next level, can get to the rim, really good size for a guard and can make a shot or 2. What's not to like though?

Reaction Score
Apparently UConn started tracking him after a 41 point game in December.

They also watched him last month

Reaction Score
He's got toughness... but do we need another backcourt player moreso than another 4/5 active body with awareness around the basket that supports a strength we already have, which is our backcourt?????

Reaction Score
When playing 3 guards I could see it, good size (Basically Rodney) and can get tot he rim. But like ktuck it can't be in the place of the 4/5 we do need. I guess with ? marks on JA and AG Kevin may feel he can't stop?

pj

Reaction Score
A 13-man roster should have 5 guards, and we only have 4 for next year. If he's good enough, then he'll add value. Basically replacing Diallo. We can use a scorer, our 4 guards (Adams, Gilbert, MAL, Vital) are point/combo guards.

Reaction Score
A 13-man roster should have 5 guards, and we only have 4 for next year. If he's good enough, then he'll add value. Basically replacing Diallo.
He would also rid us of a guard scholarship for 2018, so would you rather have his bench minutes next year, or someone like Jalen Carey or David Duke coming in the following year?

Tough question to answer without knowing how the staff feels about Collins, who they have yet to offer.

pj

Reaction Score
He would also rid us of a guard scholarship for 2018, so would you rather have his bench minutes next year, or someone like Jalen Carey or David Duke coming in the following year?

Tough question to answer without knowing how the staff feels about Collins, who they have yet to offer.

Jalen Adams will be gone after his junior year, opening up a 2018 guard scholarship. If there's any chance Jalen leaves after this year, then you need to bring in a guard this year. 3 guards is too few, you can't even practice 5 on 5 if you don't have 4 guards.

Reaction Score
Jalen Adams will be gone after his junior year, opening up a 2018 guard scholarship. If there's any chance Jalen leaves after this year, then you need to bring in a guard this year. 3 guards is too few, you can't even practice 5 on 5 if you don't have 4 guards.
I was assuming he and Larrier left. But if they add a 2017 G and a JUCO C they run the risk of only having 2 2018 scholarships at that rate.

I'd prefer a grad transfer big, in which case adding another 2017 freshman wouldn't be a huge deal anyway, but my point is that everything is intertwined. Have to weigh all the opportunity costs.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score

And this is the difficulty underlying KO's decision making in a nutshell. How does a coach know the future to make the best decision?

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
This kid is putting up monster numbers, how is his level of competition? It would seem to be lacking given that he hasn't blown up.

Considering that KO can never seem to come too close to filling his scholarships, I'd happily take a guard if we actually think he has high upside like Ayala.

pj

Reaction Score
This kid is putting up monster numbers, how is his level of competition? It would seem to be lacking given that he hasn't blown up.

Considering that KO can never seem to come too close to filling his scholarships, I'd happily take a guard if we actually think he has high upside like Ayala.

Highly variable level of competition, they play an independent schedule, but it includes some of the top schools in the country. They lost by 23 to Oak Hill Academy and by 21 to Findlay Prep. Have blown out a number of weak teams. FLCA Knights Basketball.

If the video reflects his consistent level of play, I want him.

Last edited:

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Having looked at the video, I want him.
It really is a "one in the hand vs. two on the wing" kind of thing, tho, isn't it? Because if we sign this kid it very likely means we punt on all but one of Reeves, Carey, Duke or Ayala – all of whom are higher ranked.

I kind of hope we pass unless it becomes apparent that this kid is really, really really underranked.

pj

Reaction Score
It really is a "one in the hand vs. two on the wing" kind of thing, tho, isn't it? Because if we sign this kid it very likely means we punt on all but one of Reeves, Carey, Duke or Ayala – all of whom are higher ranked.

I kind of hope we pass unless it becomes apparent that this kid is really, really really underranked.

I'm feeling good about our recruiting. We have multiple good candidates for few slots. In KO we trust.

Matrim55

Reaction Score
I'm feeling good about our recruiting. We have multiple good candidates for few slots. In KO we trust.
For sure! If this was 2014 or 2015, there's no question we'd take this kid in a heartbeat without even debating it. But b/c our 2016 & 17 classes are so loaded, we can at least debate if this is the type of guy we should add, or if it's better to save a scholarship for the 2018 class.

Reactions: pj
Reaction Score
For sure! If this was 2014 or 2015, there's no question we'd take this kid in a heartbeat without even debating it. But b/c our 2016 & 17 classes are so loaded, we can at least debate if this is the type of guy we should add, or if it's better to save a scholarship for the 2018 class.
Our 2017 class isn't really loaded, MAL is our only kid in the top 100.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Why is there a narrative out there that it's a loaded class? Why do you care?
People talk themselves into believing every player we get is way better than scouts and the media think. They point to examples like vital or brimah as proof that rankings don't matter, even though 4 of our 5 starters are top 100 recruits, and there is a connection to be made about them being heavy contributors.

Reaction Score
People talk themselves into believing every player we get is way better than scouts and the media think. They point to examples like vital or brimah as proof that rankings don't matter, even though 4 of our 5 starters are top 100 recruits, and there is a connection to be made about them being heavy contributors.
Loaded isn't the term I'd use but we whiffed on our main target and still have a very good class ranked #21 in the nation/#1 in AAC. If 20s is the floor going forward we are sitting pretty.

Matrim55

Reaction Score
Loaded isn't the term I'd use but we whiffed on our main target and still have a very good class ranked #21 in the nation/#1 in AAC. If 20s is the floor going forward we are sitting pretty.
Meh, my original post on the subject intentionally grouped 2016 & 2017 together. Between the two classes we've brought in 9 new players, 8 of whom are 4-star guys, and the one 3-star (Vital) has scored double digits in his last 6 games while shooting over 50% from 3 and 90% from the line.

Loaded.

Reaction Score
Why is there a narrative out there that it's a loaded class? Why do you care?
I don't really understand it either, but it's worth noting Gilbert and Diarra will technically be part of the same class next season.

With that said, they have the room for another talented player. Let's hope they're able to make something happen late.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom