Dave OBrien out at ESPN | The Boneyard

Dave OBrien out at ESPN

Reaction Score
I hate to see anyone lose their job, but Dave was increasingly annoying with his tendency to want to be included in the "color commentator" aspect of the WCBB broadcasts; leaving us to figure out for ourselves what was going on, on the court, who the foul was on, etc..
I doubt he is doing that on his own - he does have a producer.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
I liked O'Brien. I am becoming less and less a fan of ESPN.

But don't worry about Dave. He's got the Red Sox gig!

I also wonder if Doris Burke had any indication that ESPN was going cut Dave. Her departure from WBB seemed sudden.

Reaction Score
Sorry to hear that. I loved Don Orsillo as the "voice" of the Red Sox on NESN. When he shockingly got axed 2 years ago, some 100,00 (including me) petitioned in vain to have him restored. Dave is his successor, and we begrudged him his job. But he's gotten better as he went along and he seems like a nice guy. Truthfully, he's brought out the best in Jerry Remy who was too chummy with Orsillo to focus on the game and the announcing is technically better. But I could watch a 20-0 game with Don and Jerry chatting about silly things and never lose interest. Now, it's all business, and if the game's not interesting, neither are they.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
I wonder who will call the big games and the final four now.

Reaction Score
Bags27, I couldn't agree with you , more. I really enjoyed Don Orsillo. He and Jerry Remy made a great pair. When I heard that Don Orsillo was gone and Dave O'Brien was replacing him I wasn't pleased but I've grown to appreciate Dave O'Brien. As far as WBB is concerned I'm going to miss him. I enjoyed listening to Dave, Doris, and Holly on the broadcast and Kara and Rebecca in the studio. He'll be missed.

Reaction Score
Basketball was his strong suite, IMO. He was good at calling women's basketball games and made them interesting and exciting and had good chemistry with the others. Sorry to see him let go from WCBB.

Baseball, on the other hand, he is just not that good at. His propensity to "project" what will happen IF so & so, does this or that, is extremely frustrating (i.e. - IF he hits a triple here, he'll be the first guy to hit 8 triples in their first 30 games of the season.) Ugh! IF doesn't matter! Please just describe the game, don't project possible outcomes. He does that incessantly throughout the game, almost like he's doing fantasy baseball. This season, he was getting better at it, happened a lot less than last year, but in last couple weeks seems to be returning to it. Really miss Don Orsillo.. what a gem of an announcer he is! Great chemistry with Remy as well, which O'Brien has struggled with. Orsillo had the perfect balance of game action, insights and humor. There really isn't a comparison between the two.

Reaction Score
I also wonder if Doris Burke had any indication that ESPN was going cut Dave. Her departure from WBB seemed sudden.

I'm sure she didn't know.
And her departure only seemed sudden bc of when it was announced; I'm sure it had been decided long before that but just wasnt public.

I assume her departure from wcbb is part of the general cost cutting -- one less person covering wcbb, and if she's covering more mcbb or nba, espn can cut others from those gigs.

Reaction Score
Sorry to hear that. I loved Don Orsillo as the "voice" of the Red Sox on NESN. When he shockingly got axed 2 years ago, some 100,00 (including me) petitioned in vain to have him restored. Dave is his successor, and we begrudged him his job. But he's gotten better as he went along and he seems like a nice guy. Truthfully, he's brought out the best in Jerry Remy who was too chummy with Orsillo to focus on the game and the announcing is technically better. But I could watch a 20-0 game with Don and Jerry chatting about silly things and never lose interest. Now, it's all business, and if the game's not interesting, neither are they.

Agreed on Remy. I would have rather dumped him and kept Orsillo, and brought in Eckersley full time as the color guy.

O'Brien isn't a bad guy or a bad announcer, but Orsillo was just better.

Reaction Score
I never really understood why NESN swapped Orsillo out in favor of O'Brien. It's really just a push, as they're both top shelf announcers. I actually prefer O'Brien, but being relatively new to Boston, can certainly understand why those who had listened to Orsillo for all those years were so angry with the change.

But to cut O'Brien is a massive loss for ESPN and their coverage, because they don't have anyone with comparable gravitas to succeed him. Beth Mowins will probably take over. And while I think Beth is good, ESPN will lose all of the cross-over appeal that Dave brings from men's college hoops and from major league baseball. The game needs more of that these days, not less. I was really looking forward to Big Mondays and playoff coverage next season with Dave and Kara as the flagship broadcast team for ESPN. What a shame.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Even if she didn't openly disdain Geno, and make no disguise of her dislike for UConn WBB, LaChina imo would be a big drop from Dave O'B.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Even if she didn't openly disdain Geno, and make no disguise of her dislike for UConn WBB, LaChina imo would be a big drop from Dave O'B.

You have any proof? Those are some bold statements.

Reaction Score
If you can't follow the game,then maybe you need to pay closer attention. I will miss you, Dave O'Brien. You made the games interesting.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
O'Brien was a decent BB announcer. The only problem I had is they tried to use him in the 2006 World Cup and it was a complete disaster. He had no clue. Anyway it left such a horrible taste in my mouth, I still don't enjoy listening to him do anything.

Reaction Score
ESPN is now a Low rent company.........$$$$$ Talks or everybody walks........

Reaction Score
My guess is Beth Mowins. I think she called the 2016 Final Four: "The dynasty fulfills its destiny."
Was that Beth Mowins? Reason enough to not like her. A clearly made-up-in-advance, make-sure-there's-alliteration slogan that trivializes what was accomplished. We can only hope it will recede into the shadows long before our memories of the game go away.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom