Dave Chappelle on Netflix | The Boneyard

Dave Chappelle on Netflix

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I've never been a big fan of Dave Chappelle, but his Netflix show is worth watching. I've only seen the first episode, but so far, so good.

Someone fill me in - He said he was MIA for ten years, and left his show in "spectacular fashion." What happened?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I don't know if spectacular is really how it ended, but he got a huge contract and then he sorted ghosted his own show. He just stopped doing it.

He's give 500 reasons why, but none of them sounded very convincing. At best, he's a bit of a head case.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
First, I can't forgive you on that Bill Burr recommendation.

Second...I am a big comedy fan...but never really took to Chappelle. Not sure why. And when he got that 50M contract he jetted off the Africa. Why? Some kind of stress relief only found by hanging out with pygmies, I guess.

Reaction Score
I am a big Dave Chappelle fan. I think he's brilliant. I saw him in a small comedy club in SF many years ago and he talked about walking away from his show. He acknowledged that only a crazy person would walk away from a giant pile of money like that. My impression was that as his fame grew, he felt that the producers were demanding he stick to the same formula that had been working and he didn't like being controlled like that. Again, that's just my recollection from his show and that was many years ago. He did keep talking wistfully about the giant pile of money.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Chappelle produced what might be the best single sketch in sketch comedy history, "I am Rick James, bitch". That said, much of his old stuff was inconsistent, going from hilarious to just obnoxious. I will give the new show a shot.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Worth watching the new stuff - but missing a little something off his fastball I thought.

Reaction Score
I don't know if spectacular is really how it ended, but he got a huge contract and then he sorted ghosted his own show. He just stopped doing it.

He's give 500 reasons why, but none of them sounded very convincing. At best, he's a bit of a head case.

They networked tried to renig(sp) on the deal. He originally signed for a certain percentage but the show grow a lot more than anyone dreamed. The other stories are smokescreen. This according to someone in the industry....take it with a grain of salt, but the full story made sense.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Worth watching the new stuff - but missing a little something off his fastball I thought.

Pretty much.

It's a little strange in places.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Chappelle produced what might be the best single sketch in sketch comedy history, "I am Rick James, bitch". That said, much of his old stuff was inconsistent, going from hilarious to just obnoxious. I will give the new show a shot.

I think the Prince basketball skit was the funniest thing they did.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

That it was a true story made it even funnier.

"Pancakes?"

I also thought the 2nd of the two was funnier, probably because it was more personal.

Reaction Score
Both were good, second one was better though. Seemed to be more comfortable and similar to old Dave. BTW, new Louis C.K. standup on netflix is very funny too.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
They were pretty good. Are there going to be more? On a side note, the dude got jacked wtf

Reaction Score
The black white supremacist might be the funniest thing I've ever seen. That whole show was unbelievable.

Reaction Score
Dave left the show while filming the third season. There was one sketch in particular where he said enough is enough.

"The third season hit a big speed bump in November 2004. He was taping a sketch about magic pixies that embody stereotypes about the races. The black pixie--played by Chappelle--wears blackface and tries to convince blacks to act in stereotypical ways. Chappelle thought the sketch was funny, the kind of thing his friends would laugh at. But at the taping, one spectator, a white man, laughed particularly loud and long. His laughter struck Chappelle as wrong, and he wondered if the new season of his show had gone from sending up stereotypes to merely reinforcing them. "When he laughed, it made me uncomfortable," says Chappelle. "As a matter of fact, that was the last thing I shot before I told myself I gotta take duck____— time out after this. Because my head almost exploded."

Hollywood responded to his snub as they typically do by attempting to ridicule him and paint him as a crazy man who was smoking crack, none of which was true.

The Sketch That Made Chappelle Say 'Enough'

I've always been a huge fan of Dave Chappelle and became an even bigger fan after he left he show. Its nice to see there are still people out there that hold principle over money...even 50 million dollars

Last edited by a moderator:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom