Dave Benedict early contender for UGA AD job | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Dave Benedict early contender for UGA AD job

Reaction Score
DB has done a lot of good with UCONN. Basketball is back on track and a new hockey and baseball stadium under his watch. Football is still TBD, but if edsall is able to see the success he had at UCONN the first time, DB is getting any job he wants.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
If we had DB 10 years ago we would be in a P5 now
How do you figure that? Which P5 expansion do you think that we'd have prevailed in?

CL82

Reaction Score
Probably the ACC. Previous ADs were way too lax during the process. Many thought UConn was a lock to get taken. I personally think DB would have been more aggressive and would have made it work.
Which ACC entry, the one BCU blocked or the FSU pushed for Louisville? What do you think that he would have done differently?

Reaction Score
Probably the ACC. Previous ADs were way too lax during the process. Many thought UConn was a lock to get taken. I personally think DB would have been more aggressive and would have made it work.

The guy who thought enough of UCONN football to throw it in the trash? Not a shot.

Reaction Score
Hardly chalk that as a victory for AD David Benedict. A concession more than anything. No matter what the basketball boards say, there simply isn’t enough of a boost to BE basketball as opposed to the American to justify the effective destruction of any future for the football program, which is exactly what happened.

Why does independence kill football?
Independence doesn’t kill football, Randy Edsall does. If we win we are fine.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Hardly chalk that as a victory for AD David Benedict. A concession more than anything. No matter what the basketball boards say, there simply isn’t enough of a boost to BE basketball as opposed to the American to justify the effective destruction of any future for the football program, which is exactly what happened.
It's all about dollars and cents. The AAC contract was garbage and the move to the Big East and Independent Football was a big difference profit wise. The give back was not fighting for a conference championship. Of a non Power 5 conference mind you.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
A baby could have gotten us into the Big East which was a lateral move at best.

• Cincinnati vs. Xavier
4 on ESPN2
  • Memphis vs. St. Mary's (Crossover Classic)
  • Tulsa vs. Liberty or South Carolina (Hall of Fame Classic)
  • Houston vs. Texas Tech (Southwest Showcase)
  • USF vs. Virginia Tech (Basketball Hall of Fame Tip-Off Tournament)
1 on ESPN/ESPNU
  • Memphis Game 2 in Crossover Classic
1 on ESPN/ESPN2/ESPNU
  • Memphis Game 3 in Crossover Classic
1 on ESPNEWS
  • Temple vs. Virginia Tech (Basketball Hall of Fame Tip-Off Tournament)
1 on FS1
  • Temple vs. Villanova
1 on BTN
  • UCF vs. Michigan
1 on NBCSN
  • Temple vs. Saint Joseph's
================================
2 on ESPN3
  • USF vs. Rhode Island
  • Tulsa vs TCU
33 on ESPN+
  • USF vs. Florida College
  • Houston vs. Lamar
  • SMU vs Sam Houston St
  • Tulane vs. Lamar
  • Houston vs. Boise State
  • UCF vs. Oklahoma
  • Tulane vs. Lipscomb
  • UCF vs. Auburn
  • SMU vs. Texas A&M - Corpus Christi
  • Memphis vs. Arkansas State
  • Cincinnati vs. Lipscomb
  • Wichita State vs. Oral Roberts
  • SMU vs. Houston Baptist
  • Tulsa vs. UT Arlington
  • USF vs. Florida A&M
  • East Carolina vs. Radford
  • Houston vs. South Carolina
  • Temple vs. La Salle
  • East Carolina vs. UNCW
  • Memphis vs. Mississippi Valley State
  • Tulsa vs. Arkansas
  • USF vs Stetson
  • SMU vs. Vanderbilt
  • Cincinnati vs. Furman
  • Houston vs. Sam Houston St
  • Tulane vs. Southern Miss
  • East Carolina vs. North Florida
  • Houston vs. Rice
  • Tulane vs. Arkansas-Pine Bluff
  • Wichita State vs. Oklahoma State
  • Tulsa vs. Northwestern State
  • Tulane vs. Grambling State
  • East Carolina vs. James Madison
================================
10 unlisted
  • SMU vs. Dayton
  • Wichita State vs. Missouri
  • Cincinnati vs. Tennessee
  • Memphis vs. Auburn
  • USF vs. LSU
  • Tulsa vs. Oral Roberts
  • UCF vs. Florida State
  • Cincinnati vs. Georgia
  • Houston vs. Alabama
  • Wichita State vs. Ole Miss
lAtErAL MoVe

Reaction Score
Why does independence kill football?
Independence doesn’t kill football, Randy Edsall does. If we win we are fine.
No conference championship and no bowl tie-ins are gonna feel way worse if we ever move on from RE and find a real program builder. But again, this is also compounded by the fact that the BE as a basketball conference is vastly overrated when you take into account what it took to get there.

Reaction Score
Which ACC entry, the one BCU blocked or the FSU pushed for Louisville? What do you think that he would have done differently?
Either one. We were the favorites to get the last spot but Louisville kept pushing until they finally got it. UConn sat back and did nothing to sell themselves to other members.

CL82

Reaction Score
Either one. We were the favorites to get the last spot but Louisville kept pushing until they finally got it. UConn sat back and did nothing to sell themselves to other members.
I kind of agree with that. The time BCU blackballed us, there wasn't much we could do. The second on we were "penciled in" but FSU made a power grab and got enough backing that Tobacco Road couldn't get us through. Herbst relied on ACC contacts who said we were in and didn't push back. Instead she and Warde were in the Virgin Islands watching the woman's hoops team. I'm not sure if AD Dave would have done anything differently and if he did if it would have mattered, but it definitely was bad optics.

C

Chief00

Interviewer:
So what decision are you most proud of?

Answer:
Cancelling the football season.

Interviewer: Thank you for your interest in the GA AD position, you should be getting a letter in the mail soon.

Reaction Score
Can't believe people still think that canceling the season was the wrong decision. The BIG TEN canceled their season before getting cold feet and succumbing to mob pressure. Look at them now. How many canceled games? How many teams ineligible for the championship? How many games did the pac 12 get in, 4? People really wanted us to have season like UMass? Play 4 body bag games without the 6/7 figure check to soften the blow? Some people man...

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Truly absurd statement. Liberty and Coastal Carolina are currently ranked in the football top 25 - If we start to win in football we will be fine.

If we stay in the AAC, our world class basketball teams would be forced to play here in perpetuity:
View attachment 61899
Not the worst place to see a game, they sell craft beer.

@Waquoit , you aren't wrong. Went to the Tulane game there right before the 'rona shutdown with a friend who's a big LSU guy. 800-1000 fans for the game. We went to the concourse, got a good beer and were going back to our seats. I see AD David Benedict, say hello and gave him a knuckle bump. While walking back to our seats my buddy asked who that was. I said the UConn AD. He just started laughing that regular schmuck fans would be able to bump knuckles with a University's AD. Anywho, I'll miss Tulane as a conference mate. Truth be told for me, only Tulsa and ECU were complete Blahs.

C

Chief00

Can't believe people still think that canceling the season was the wrong decision. The BIG TEN canceled their season before getting cold feet and succumbing to mob pressure. Look at them now. How many canceled games? How many teams ineligible for the championship? How many games did the pac 12 get in, 4? People really wanted us to have season like UMass? Play 4 body bag games without the 6/7 figure check to soften the blow? Some people man...
It was a terrible decision - one that will be difficult to recover from.

Reaction Score
Wouldn't be the worst thing for Dave if he stuck around another two years to get the independent football program off the ground and see our next men's and women's basketball championships.

Reaction Score
DB has done a lot of good with UCONN. Basketball is back on track and a new hockey and baseball stadium under his watch. Football is still TBD, but if edsall is able to see the success he had at UCONN the first time, DB is getting any job he wants.
What evidence has edsall given you that he’s going to scratch a fraction of what he did first go around? We’re in what was supposed to be year 4 and he’s shown no signs he’d have been anything but still horrendous. And DB doesn’t appear at all concerned with changing anything

Reaction Score
Too bad we lost Skip Holtz. Would have been far superior to Edsall.

Reaction Score
I fully support Dave B getting a job somewhere else. He has a prominent place on the Mt Rushmore of figures who destroyed the UCONN football program - Good Riddance.
It's easy to support this argument one thing alone.... we've sucked horribly... BUT, I still have hope... We show that pulse once we get on the field... Finally be a team that plays a full 4 quarters...that doesn't give up.. Keeps fighting... get punched in the mouth, get back up and punches the other guy in the mouth...(Like the good ole days)... I still believe...

Reaction Score
It's easy to support this argument one thing alone.... we've sucked horribly... BUT, I still have hope... We show that pulse once we get on the field... Finally be a team that plays a full 4 quarters...that doesn't give up.. Keeps fighting... get punched in the mouth, get back up and punches the other guy in the mouth...(Like the good ole days)... I still believe...

I respect your optimism, I really do. I’ve been here since the beginning of FBS (and years before). Seeing what this program could have been to what it is now has been a punch in the stomach. I just don’t see football coming out of the abyss. Going independent was the final of many nails in the coffin.

CL82

Reaction Score

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom