Dave Benedict early contender for UGA AD job | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Dave Benedict early contender for UGA AD job

Reaction Score
I respect your optimism, I really do. I’ve been here since the beginning of FBS (and years before). Seeing what this program could have been to what it is now has been a punch in the stomach. I just don’t see football coming out of the abyss. Going independent was the final of many nails in the coffin.
I probably been there just as long as you brother (Rusty Neal used to cut my hair back in the day when he was a starting DB). I pray you're wrong.

Reaction Score
Dave Benedict is worthy of our praise. He has presided over the most ambitious improvement of our baseball, softball, soccer and (to be) hockey facilities, during a very challenging financial environment. He made, in my opinion, a wise decision to relegate football to independent status, which may well prove financially prudent, should we ever start winning. That decision opened the door to the most visible, and long-term viable move, for the rest of our sports to the Big East. With the exception of baseball, which played in the nationally rigorous AAC, the Big East is not only a major step-up in competition, it is a significant enhancement to the financial bottom line, especially in basketball.

Athletic Directors are charged with much more than cultivating winning teams. The bottom line is crucial to the ongoing success of the athletic department AND the university. Should he leave for greener pastures, he will get my "bon voyage".

Thank you for everything you have accomplished so far, Dave. Please stay.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Georgia projected a $55 million budget shortfall this year.

Hmm, Dave does seem uniquely qualified.
I missed the Pat Forde article here, though.

C

Chief00

I notice Dave’s job hunting narrative seems to omit this major decision (cancelling the football season). Maybe in his isolation Randy still believes in it, but Dave has create as much distance between that decision and himself as he possibly can. He knows it’s a loser.

Reaction Score
He should have told Edsall he was getting out of the AAC. Coaching and recruiting decisions would have been different. Do like the current recruiting efforts in GA, SC, FL and TX. Hopefully they can recruit VA more. I prefer the indie scheduling as a fan . As a player I would prefer to play against it. So in fairness I would give the indie thing some time. Not sure how it can be constructed but Edsall will need to recruit in 2021 but not against a final year of a contract.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I have no major gripe with AD Dave. He came in with a bad hand and is holding the sports program together with bubble gum and scotch tape. He played his only valuable card returning BB to the NBE. It’s a quick boost of needed oxygen, but he’s bargained away the future in terms of any hope of being a P5 flagship. Maybe we’ll catch a break someday.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom