2025 Recruiting: - Darius Acuff Jr 5*: ‘I probably want to get to (visit) UConn’ (Merged threads) | Page 5 | The Boneyard

2025 Recruiting: Darius Acuff Jr 5*: ‘I probably want to get to (visit) UConn’ (Merged threads)

Reaction Score
And it's not like that came out of the blue, given that we had four national championships that proceeded it.
True about the four championships, but the fourth was 9 years before the fifth and we're talking about kids today who were 6 or 7 years old in 2014 so getting two in a row has helped make up for years of little to no recognition.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I couldn't believe when Zanetto said A.J. Dybantsa wasn't a good fit for UConn. I guess we wouldn't have taken LeBron either. You get the best players available as long as they're grinders.
There was hope that Stephon Castle would consider coming to UConn in 2023 and be the starting pg. When he chose not to we got Tristen in the portal.

Stephon arrives in 2024 with his eye on being the pg. But Tristen ends up returning and Hurley keeps him as the pg with Castle playing the off ball guard.

And Castle handled it like a professional. It is unlikely this was his preference but his attitude and that of his family was to respect the coaches and their decisions.

It paid off. A national championship and SC’s role as a Husky impressed NBA teams enough to make him a lottery pick. But it could have gone badly. Most NBA teams had him slated as a 2 guard and not the pg. He continually told them in tryouts he wanted that pg role. The Spurs agreed fortunately but they, as well as most NBA observers, are quite surprised at his ability to handle that assignment.

The risk with A. J. Dybantsa is his dad. If A.J. Is not showcased in the manner pops wants it’s likely Hurley will hear it and if that were to happen team chemistry would be impacted. Zanetto was not talking about the talent not being a fit. It’s the family.

Reaction Score
I don't know for sure that it affects the Meleek Thomas recruitment, but I don't see a scenario where it's a BAD thing.
I think there were rumors that if Acuff went to Arkansas, Meleek would be out on them.

Reaction Score
I don't know why it would affect Thomas, Cal has always recruited multiple on-ball guards in the same class

Reaction Score
I couldn't believe when Zanetto said A.J. Dybantsa wasn't a good fit for UConn. I guess we wouldn't have taken LeBron either. You get the best players available as long as they're grinders.
You have to be smart how you bring in a highly touted 5 star, understanding character and intention and how that fits into the framework of what you expect back, knowing it’s a guaranteed one and done. If you have a group of incoming juniors that are developing and have earned their keep and know the system, only to have a big ego frosh come in expecting to be the man, you’re working an anti culture angle. I don’t think it’s as simple as saying take the best available. One year rentals have to fit.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jackruy1

Top Bottom