Danny doesn't seem to win the second game of any tournament. | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Danny doesn't seem to win the second game of any tournament.

Reaction Score
If Sanogo doesn't s___ the bed, this could easily have been a 67-63 win. That has nothing to do with game plan.
Is it possible he misses those shots because he’s gassed from sprinting from the basket to 3 pt line every defensive possession? That’s part of the game plan

Reaction Score
People forget that coaches like Jay Wright spent a long time getting beat up and outcoached by Calhoun, Boeheim, Pitino, Jamie Dixon, etc. Hurley has been steadily improving, the talent level on the team has been steadily improving, and the winning percentage has been steadily improving. If that's the trajectory over the next couple years, I'm certainly not going to complain.

Reaction Score
Here's what I said. "It's true that it gets harder as you advance in the winners bracket."

Now you can answer your own question.
Pal is a master of these ”with all due respect” digs, where he thinks he’s free to take whatever digs he wants if he pretends he’s not taking shots but just “noticing” things.

We’re not where we ultimately want to be yet. No one thought we had the talent to be “there” at the beginning of the season. We’ve already done enough where we’ve improved over last year, as we’ve done every year since Hurley got here. Time to be getting revved up to see how positive a year this is as opposed to finding clever ways to point out we’re not fully back yet.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
We were very competitive in a very good game against arguably a team with Final Four talent. I cannot fault coaching or game planning or effort in any way, shape or form.

We do have some flaws on the talent side of the equation. We don't shoot well. But our talent pool is improving, we're landing recruits that can and will break through that glass ceiling.

I'll close with this. I remember when UConn fans were saying Calhoun couldn't win the big one. He turned us around, but if we want to reach the Final Four, he had to go.

And no, THAT'S NO JOKE

Reaction Score
Pal is a master of these ”with all due respect” digs, where he thinks he’s free to take whatever digs he wants if he pretends he’s not taking shots but just “noticing” things.

We’re not where we ultimately want to be yet. No one thought we had the talent to be “there” at the beginning of the season. We’ve already done enough where we’ve improved over last year, as we’ve done every year since Hurley got here. Time to be getting revved up to see how positive a year this is as opposed to finding clever ways to point out we’re not fully back yet.
This is not " a dig" at Hurley. I consider him to be a very good and UConn is lucky to have him. I have also mentioned that this job is a learning experience for DH. We have watched him get better over his time on the Huskies bench. When we got blow out by Iowa I was shocked. It caught my attention. That was the genesis of the original post. Time to figure it out.

BTW, I can't read your mind and would appreciate it if you stop pretending you can read mine.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
I wrote many of those posts; I don’t need to review them. I was at the game and said it in real time at the three minute mark, so yes I thought he should have done it sooner. But to Kimani’s credit he realized it, made the change and drew up a play to get Polley a shot, which he hit.

What is getting glossed over?
I don’t expect this first round game to be a nail-biter but if it is, it’ll be interesting which way Hurley goes. Or how many minutes Hawkins and Polley get in the second half

Reaction Score
I was thinking about this earlier actually. It is very bizarre. 2K Sports we beat Syracuse, then got best by Iowa. 2019 AAC Tournament we beat USF, then lose to Houston. Charleston we beat Buffalo, then lost to Xavier. Last years Big East Tournament we beat DePaul, then lost to Creighton. Atlantis we beat Auburn, then lost to MSU. I know tournaments are random, but It’s very frustrating.
If he loses in the 2nd in the tourney i think we may have to call him Danny Deuces.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
True... not sure it means much. I think Danny has this team red-lined as far as effort is concerned. Never thought we'd get so much out of Martin. If he can consistently get this type of effort late in the season eventually things will go our way. In my opinion Martin is playing considerably better that Bouk did this time last year.
I agree. He is a monster this year. It seemed every game he got better and better. More aggressive. Many say he will do fine overseas. However, somehow he may break into the NBA. He went toe to toe with the best this year. Maybe I am thinking way out, but the kid looks great.

Reaction Score
No. He didn’t win the first game this time.
The OP said Hurley seems to not win the second game of tournaments. That streak continues.

Hurley also has a trend of losing the second games of tournaments. That trend was bucked today.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jamie Taco

Top Bottom