Danny doesn't seem to win the second game of any tournament. | The Boneyard

Danny doesn't seem to win the second game of any tournament.

Reaction Score
Lost game two twice this year, Bahamas and BET. Lost game two in South Carolina last year. It seems like a trend. Has he won the second game of a tournament since he has been here? It's true that it gets harder as you advance in the winners bracket. But I would like to see this trend ended.

I could be wrong. But it's how it seems.

Please don't over react ot this. I think DH is a darn good coach. But it's something I noticed.

Reaction Score
True... not sure it means much. I think Danny has this team red-lined as far as effort is concerned. Never thought we'd get so much out of Martin. If he can consistently get this type of effort late in the season eventually things will go our way. In my opinion Martin is playing considerably better that Bouk did this time last year.

Reaction Score
True... not sure it means much. I think Danny has this team red-lined as far as effort is concerned. Never thought we'd get so much out of Martin. If he can consistently get this type of effort late in the season eventually things will go our way. In my opinion Martin is playing considerably better that Bouk did this time last year.
That's probaby true about TM. But, Bouk had that dehydration thing where he could hardly walk in the BET last year.

Reaction Score
Lost game two twice this year, Bahamas and BET. Lost game two in South Carolina last year. It seems like a trend. Has he won the second game of a tournament since he has been here? It's true that it gets harder as you advance in the winners bracket. But I would like to see this trend ended.

I could be wrong. But it's how it seems.

Please don't over react ot this. I think DH is a darn good coach. But it's something I noticed.
Some uri haters called him second round Danny for a reason I guess. Let’s hope we get a second game this time next week!!

Reaction Score
I was thinking about this earlier actually. It is very bizarre. 2K Sports we beat Syracuse, then got best by Iowa. 2019 AAC Tournament we beat USF, then lose to Houston. Charleston we beat Buffalo, then lost to Xavier. Last years Big East Tournament we beat DePaul, then lost to Creighton. Atlantis we beat Auburn, then lost to MSU. I know tournaments are random, but It’s very frustrating.

Reaction Score
I was thinking about this earlier actually. It is very bizarre. 2K Sports we beat Syracuse, then got best by Iowa. 2019 AAC Tournament we beat USF, then lose to Houston. Charleston we beat Buffalo, then lost to Xavier. Last years Big East Tournament we beat DePaul, then lost to Creighton. Atlantis we beat Auburn, then lost to MSU. I know tournaments are random, but It’s very frustrating.
Those teams from a few years ago also sucked. We should have beat MSU earlier this year though. Probably would have if we had Whaley and didn’t just play 2 OT 20hrs before

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Did you notice that Nova is a pretty good team? Did you notice that Danny didn’t miss three or four lay ups and two out of two foul shots in a row in the critical stretch when Nova opened up a little day light? Did you notice Danny isn’t the one who missed 3 wide open 3s in the last couple of minutes? The players have something to do with who wins or loses. Nova scored 63 points. Danny didn’t lose. UConn didn’t make makeable shots. Danny didn’t “lose” the game. I know Pal isn’t a Hurley hater, but the take in the OP is kinda silly.

ETA. Sanogo is a very good player but we justifiably make him the centerpiece of our offense and if he’s off we have trouble. Our last two losses were down to the wire games where his shooting % was not very good. None of that has a thing to do with the coach’s history.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Did you notice that Nova is a pretty good team? Did you notice that Danny didn’t miss three or four lay ups and two out of two foul shots in a row in the critical stretch when Nova opened up a little day light? Did you notice Danny isn’t the one who missed 3 wide open 3s in the last couple of minutes? The players have something to do with who wins or loses. Nova scored 63 points. Danny didn’t lose. UConn didn’t make makeable shots. Danny didn’t “lose” the game. I know Pal isn’t a Hurley hater, but the take in the OP is kinda silly.
It's not silly; it's a valid observation and criticism and has nothing to do with hating.

It has everything to do with improving, which we all want.

The consensus is that we have Sweet 16 talent this season. Let's see if we can fulfill that potential.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
It's not silly; it's a valid observation and criticism and has nothing to do with hating.

The consensus is that we have Sweet 16 talent this season. Let's see if we can fulfill that potential.
I repeat, when your star has a bad shooting night in a nail biter it has zero to do with coaching history. The plays were designed fine. The defense was overall fine. Gillespie was held really well. The OP observation is making coincidence some sort of meaningful thing. It isn’t. It’s a basketball game we lost to a pretty good team when our star had a tough stretch of missing a bunch of shots he can make.

Reaction Score
Stop it, you would sign up for Nova to score only 63 points all day every day this loss had nothing to do with Hurley. If I’m not mistaken didn’t he win the A10 tourney at URI? Stop with the dumb narratives. Hurley is a great coach and an awesome fit for the program. He will lead us to many BEC’s.POSITIVE VIBES ONLY

Reaction Score
We all know this is a flawed UConn team. Not enough offense, limited guard depth,…. And, UConn has 3 starters that weren’t even top 200 recruits coming out of HS. Hurley is developing a program and he has shown continued improvement in talent and performance each year. And, individual player development has been top notch. As reminder, it takes a special team to win Big East tournaments and make Final Fours. Hurley is on the right track.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Here's what I said. "It's true that it gets harder as you advance in the winners bracket."

Now you can answer your own question.
You’re taking the coincidence of a the timing of a very few games to make some sort of point about his coaching which is the only thing that you can possibly be saying otherwise there is no point. He coached great last night whether or not it was game two of the season or game two of a small field league tournament that we narrowly lost to a team ranked ahead of ours.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I repeat, when your star has a bad shooting night in a nail biter it has zero to do with coaching history. The plays were designed fine. The defense was overall fine. Gillespie was held really well. The OP observation is making coincidence some sort of meaningful thing. It isn’t. It’s a basketball game we lost to a pretty good team when our star had a tough stretch of missing a bunch of shots he can make.
I think it has a lot to do with game plan, and obviously personnel.

In many ways Hurley and Wright had similar game plans against each other. Nova smothered Sanogo and RJ to make us try to beat them with the rest of our guys. That is the book on us because we are not good shooters and we have exceedingly limited back court depth. Tyrese's ceiling is higher than I appreciated; I credit Hurley for believing in him and I credit Tyrese for playing at max effort and really getting more out of his potential than I thought was there, but it still wasn't enough.

Conversely, we smothered Gillespie and Moore to make Nova beat us with Samuels and Slater. And they did, because they can shoot.

Five minutes into the game the announcers said Hurley was committed to making Nova beat us with Samuels and Slater and would have no problem getting back on the bus to Storrs last night after losing if they did. That just kind of struck me as an odd thing to say before the game, as if there was no plan B. And there wasn't. So Hurley got exactly what he signed up for.

It wasn't a bad game plan, it just didn't work. Seems to be that the better coaches like McDermott and Wright do a better job of making adjustments when that happens. Like Tyson said, "Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth."

We are a good team, but a flawed team. Hurley's sacrifice of offense for defense has worked most nights, but it gets tougher against better teams and better coaches. If we want to get back to the next level both the personnel and game plans need to improve imo. He can't do anything about the personnel at this point, and losing Hawk obviously doesn't help.

I think Hurley has done a good job this season, but suggesting that these results have zero to do with coaching when we lose is a bit silly imo. I'm sure Wright and McDermott hope we all keep thinking that way.

Reaction Score

In many ways Hurley and Wright had similar game plans against each other. Nova smothered Sanogo and RJ to make us try to beat them with the rest of our guys. That is the book on us because we are not good shooters and we have exceedingly limited back court depth. Tyrese's ceiling is higher than I appreciated; I credit Hurley for believing in him and I credit Tyrese for playing at max effort and really getting more out of his potential than I thought was there, but it still wasn't enough.

Conversely, we smothered Gillespie and Moore to make Nova beat us with Samuels and Slater. And they did, because they can shoot.

Five minutes into the game the announcers said Hurley was committed to making Nova beat us with Samuels and Slater and would have no problem getting back on the bus to Storrs last night after losing if they did. That just kind of struck me as an odd thing to say before the game, as if there was no plan B. And there wasn't. So Hurley got exactly what he signed up for.

It wasn't a bad game plan, it just didn't work. Seems to be that the better coaches like McDermott and Wright do a better job of making adjustments when that happens. Like Tyson said, "Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth."

We are a good team, but a flawed team. Hurley's sacrifice of offense for defense has worked most nights, but it gets tougher against better teams and better coaches. If we want to get back to the next level both the personnel and game plans need to improve imo. He can't do anything about the personnel at this point, and losing Hawk obviously doesn't help.

I think Hurley has done a good job this season, but suggesting that these results have zero to do with coaching when we lose is a bit silly imo. I'm sure Wright and McDermott hope we all keep thinking that way.
Hard disagree. Our defensive game plan worked. Every team in the country would sign up for Nova to only score 63 points. A couple of Cole threes go down we win that game.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score

It definitely has a lot to do with our lack of reliable jump shooters.Jackson is a big part of our team, but he plays a shooters position and is not a reliable shooter. That makes planning against us a little easier. We are also missing Hawkins who can shoot although I wouldn’t yet put him in the reliable category. So what could Hurley have done differently with few viable alternatives? And it has zero to do with last night being game 2 of a tournament.

Meanwhile, as you said, Martin is playing great and shooting really well. Making shots is a pretty big deal in hoops and making shots helps a coach to look like a genius. :)

Reaction Score
I mean, we lost to a higher seeded team by one possession each year in the BET. Not sure if we can really count what he did at URI - obviously didn't have UConn talent. I'd love to win and obviously looking back you can always find things that could have gone better but I don't think this is a mark on Hurley.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Hard disagree. Our defensive game plan worked. Every team in the country would sign up for Nova to only score 63 points. A couple of Cole threes go down we win that game.
I will agree that we game planned for exactly that result, i.e., a close loss.

Reaction Score
I think the answer is pretty simple. Danny just hasn't had great teams here thus far. Of course, they're getting increasingly better and we've seen the results of that, but it takes great teams to go deep in these tournaments. We're simply not good enough to beat Villanova consistently yet. I think we'll be there soon.

Reaction Score

No advanced metrics have us in the top 16, no human poll has us in the top 16, and we’re not going to get a seed that is expected to make the sweet 16. So I would not say that is the consensus.

It obviously is on this board though.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jamie Taco

Top Bottom