Daniels Showing Consistent Improvment | The Boneyard

Daniels Showing Consistent Improvment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
DD seems to have turned the corner and has gotten better with each game, especially the last two. His handle has improved, he drives to the hoop with a good first step, and his shot is beginning to fall. All of this has gone hand-in-hand with a confidence boost.

Reaction Score
I think calhoun likes his game a lot. When his D gets better he could be really special

Reaction Score
This team is getting better and better as the season progresses. The chemistry between such talented players is beautiful.

Reaction Score
I didn't mention it, but I thought his defense has been pretty good. Am I missing something?

C

Chief00

I will say this, quite frankly Daniels runs the court without the ball better than anyone on the team.
Boatright probably is the best at running the court with the ball.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
I will say this, quite frankly Daniels runs the court without the ball better than anyone on the team.
Boatright probably is the best at running the court with the ball.

Agreed ... he's fantastic in transition and not only that, he's shown the ability to finish after going full speed.

Earlier on his shot was falling more, so I look for that to come back as he gets more opportunities.

Reaction Score
We have more upside then any other team in the top 25. DD, RS, AO, AD still have a realistic chance of growing more before the end of the season. Boat, Bazz and Lamb are right where we hoped they would be at this point.

Reaction Score
it's pretty awesome when you have a freshman big man who just got 16 points and 11 rebounds and there is still more chances for growth before the end of the season

Reaction Score
Daniels seems more comfortable out there. Like how he is not over anxious to shoot, is passing up mediocre looks or looks he can get later in the shot clock to move ball. Early in season he seemed to be anxious to shoot early in possessions. That will get Bazz's confidence that passing to you does not end the possession before we get a chance to run our stuff.

Reaction Score
He should have played more in 2nd half vs So Fla as his 1st half was solid. Good to see him get his chance yestrday and he's a key component.

Reaction Score
DD started strong this season but hit a wall when the comp got a bit tougher. He definately seems to have turned the corner of late and is playing with more confidence.

I noticed that like most shooters who aren't the #1,2 or 3 scoring options, i.e. don't have the green light to shoot at will, when he misses his first shot or two behind the arc, he tends to be afraid to shoot. I'm sure he'll improve in that area.

What I liked most about his game yesterday was that he put the ball on the floor and took it to the paint. He's shown the ability to do so and has the length, athletism and shot making ability to put up points that way. I was begging him to take it closer to the basket during that game chat after he hit his first inside shot and it seemed he and/or the staff recognised this too and he made an effort to attack the basket a number of times after that. DD has a high ceiling.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I didn't mention it, but I thought his defense has been pretty good. Am I missing something?
I think this is his most important development. He has had two games in a row in which the has played better than average defense.

Early in the season he was one dimensional - a good three point shooter. That has dropped off significantly since, but I'm not worried about it at all.

Posters are correct about his running the floor on the break. But his movement on the offensive and defensive ends is where I'm seeing the most significant improvement. On the offense, he isn't just getting the ball and shooting it or quickly passing it back to the guards. He's beginning to look to drive, to dribble and pass, or to set screens. He also moves a lot more without the ball. On defense his player is getting by him less frequently, he switches better and he is available for weak side defense. It seems he has gone through the construct, deconstruct, construct process fairly well. I look forward to seeing if he continues this throughout the season

Reaction Score
Daniels is candidate #1 as far as becoming this years Jeremy Lamb, somebody that didn't have a huge impact at the begginning of the year, but had a huge one later on. It takes some guys a while to get used to the speed of the college game, and maybe more importantly, it takes some guys a while to grasp the offense. It would be nice if his shot started to fall as well.

Reaction Score
ive love DD`s game from the moment he stepped on the court. the way he handles the ball shoots hustles and defends really excite me about his future and the type of player he can be. i have complete belief that when all is said at done at uconn with him he will be among the best of uconns wings and will be a lottery pick. we`ve only seen the tip of the iceberg when it comes to what type of player he can and i truly believe he will be.

Reaction Score
I'm going to be the spoiler of this party. I love Deandre Daniels potential. He is a fantastic shooter, but in general, I think his offensive IQ is very low. On the other hand, I like him on defense for several reasons - he's tall and he has long arms. He will be amazing when we need to tighten up defense and we have a ton of bigs out there.

As far as his offensive game, I just don't think he knows what he's doing - or at least, what the purpose of what he is doing. For example, take the baseline drive he took this previous game in which he committed a charge foul. He was never convinced that was the move to make. It was a very easy play for a defender to get in there and draw the charge. His movement on the court is pretty mediocre. I find that there is a lot more action when TO is in there. For that reason, DD will not be featured in zone bust offenses.

The kid has a ton of potential and yes, maybe he'll become this year's Jeremy Lamb. I just have a feeling he's really going to be a role player down the stretch. If the season were ending soon, I think Roscoe Smith would simply just get his minutes due to the fact of being a "veteran" player. I'm hoping DD turns the switch on, but I really still haven't seen anything that shows me he's even improved a little on the offensive end.

Reaction Score
I'm going to be the spoiler of this party. I love Deandre Daniels potential. He is a fantastic shooter, but in general, I think his offensive IQ is very low. On the other hand, I like him on defense for several reasons - he's tall and he has long arms. He will be amazing when we need to tighten up defense and we have a ton of bigs out there.

As far as his offensive game, I just don't think he knows what he's doing - or at least, what the purpose of what he is doing. For example, take the baseline drive he took this previous game in which he committed a charge foul. He was never convinced that was the move to make. It was a very easy play for a defender to get in there and draw the charge. His movement on the court is pretty mediocre. I find that there is a lot more action when TO is in there. For that reason, DD will not be featured in zone bust offenses.

The kid has a ton of potential and yes, maybe he'll become this year's Jeremy Lamb. I just have a feeling he's really going to be a role player down the stretch. If the season were ending soon, I think Roscoe Smith would simply just get his minutes due to the fact of being a "veteran" player. I'm hoping DD turns the switch on, but I really still haven't seen anything that shows me he's even improved a little on the offensive end.

if this post were dated 1/1/11 instead of 1/1/12 it would closely describe JL at this point last season.

Reaction Score
NHU, my interpretation is not that it's a lack of BBIQ, but simply a lack of experience. For some frosh, it also a bit of anxiety that comes with playing on a big stage. It will pass.

Reaction Score
I think most of us would like to see more lateral quickness out of him on the defensive end. I never thought he was a poor defender in terms of blocking shots and help defense, it was always his lateral quickness that limited him imo.

Overall, I think DD is going to continue to show small gradual improvements throughout the year. The thing i've loved most about him over the last 2 games is his effort. He has dived on the floor in both games after loose balls which if he keeps on doing will continue to earn him more PT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom