Daniels= Donyell? | The Boneyard

Daniels= Donyell?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
With the Drummond signing sucking up all the energy, I was wondering about the potential of our other top 10 recruit Daniels who's kind of in the backround now.It was a huge deal when we got Donyell and Daniels is about the same size and build and ranking. Are they similar players with the same skill sets? in a way, Donyell was program making for us, and if Daniels is close to him.....

Reaction Score
I think Donyell was a little 'longer', maybe an inch or 2 taller...he became an explosive shot blocker...but not sure he had the handle that it looks like DD has...if DD comes anywhere near where Donyell did during his career...wooohhoooooo

Reaction Score
Different players. Daniels' game is much more perimeter oriented than Donyell's when he was in college. Daniels won't be the shot blocker/rebounder that Donyell was, but Donyell couldn't put it on the floor like DeAndre can.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
i think the 3 we have coming in comprise one of the better classes in UCONN history. certianly not the biggest class, nor the best due to volume (only 3), but for what they do and what we need, one of the better classes. i'm psyched to see all 3 of them contribute and i think they will big time.

i'm most excited to see Drummond and Daniels play, but almost as excited to see Napier. his play improved and his PT increased a lot over the course of last year so much so that in the end, he was one of the 5 on the court in the biggest moments. if he makes the typical freshman to sophomore leap in skills, production, etc, watch out...

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
The same coach that coached Jeremy last season coached DeAndre this season in the summer league. That coach was interviewed last season and he stated Jeremy probably would need a year but he was going to be a special player for UConn. When he was interviewed this summer and asked about DeAndre, he gave positive feedback and said DeAndre could contribute in a supporting role this season, but he held back on the superlatives he gave Lamb last season.

This doesn't mean too much. DeAndre may do better once organized practices begin and demonstrate things he didn't demonstrate in this summer league. He may ultimately be as good as or better than Jeremy. But no one can be certain at this stage. I think he ends up backing Roscoe at the 3 and Lamb at the 2 this season.

Reaction Score
Also Boat could be a sleeper. He signed with USC at the age of 8 if I recall correctly- this kid has lived and breathed basketball on a high level his whole life. From what I have seen he really does have Stick's athletic ability- he has a good jump shot and is as fast as Kemba and Bazz with the ball in his hand. He should be very fun to watch although with all these pups there will be an adjustment to the college game. Our schedule is very conducive to giving them the time they will need. Lets face it- this is a soft schedule vs last year and we are going to need the time for this team to gel without Mr Walker on the floor to guide them and carry the scoring load.

Reaction Score
I find it hard to believe he can play the 2 for the simple fact that he is 6'9" Have you ever seen a 6'9 shooting guard?

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Is he a true 6'9?

Reaction Score
Yes- 6' 8"- 6' 9". He has a great handle- but it would have to be pretty darn good or the other teams 2G would have to be somewhere below elite status for him to play there and clock big minutes. With the the schedule we have he may be able to play the two quite a bit until we start playing the Quse, Lville Pitt ect.... then maybe not so much.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
What differentiates DeAndre from Roscoe? They're both almost the same height and weight ... both can shoot and rebound. Is DeAndre more on the 3 side of things and 'Scoe on the 4 side?

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Isn't Daniels more of a Rudy Gay type? Donyell had a different kind of game than that.

Reaction Score
What differentiates DeAndre from Roscoe? They're both almost the same height and weight ... both can shoot and rebound. Is DeAndre more on the 3 side of things and 'Scoe on the 4 side?

I think DeAndre is more of a 3 and Roscoe more of a 4. In my opinion DeAndre is a better shooter and ball handler. DeAndre is a terrific shooter and really has a beautiful stroke. I think he'll contribute from the perimeter more at first and work the rest of his game into things. Nice thing is that I think he and Roscoe have different skills that can be taken advantage of depending on opponent/defender. I think Roscoe is probably a better defender, shotblocker, rebounder, and probably a bit better around the hoop/in the post.

Reaction Score
is he really 6'9 wow, I read one report that he was 6'7, when I looked on rivals I saw they had him listed as 6'8, what is his actual height, will be devastating for other teams when him and Boatright come off the bench.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
is he really 6'9 wow, I read one report that he was 6'7, when I looked on rivals I saw they had him listed as 6'8, what is his actual height, will be devastating for other teams when him and Boatright come off the bench.
In another week he'll be 6'10. He's either in a growth spurt or the proverbial his legend his growing.

Reaction Score
Also Boat could be a sleeper. He signed with USC at the age of 8 if I recall correctly- this kid has lived and breathed basketball on a high level his whole life. From what I have seen he really does have Stick's athletic ability- he has a good jump shot and is as fast as Kemba and Bazz with the ball in his hand. He should be very fun to watch although with all these pups there will be an adjustment to the college game. Our schedule is very conducive to giving them the time they will need. Lets face it- this is a soft schedule vs last year and we are going to need the time for this team to gel without Mr Walker on the floor to guide them and carry the scoring load.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hqDIu2-uzE

Reaction Score
the aau team i coach played vs daniels (belmont shore) in little rock in april 2010. we lost by 1 in a great game. daniels is a prototypical NBA wing. he should be an effective but not dominant rebounder in college with his athleticism.

i dont recall him being nearly 6'9. i would have guessed a real 6'6 at the time (2010). he can shoot the 3, explode off the floor (put back dunk on us), and should be able to defend at the collegiate level with his size and athleticism.

i would guess he will contribute as a freshman. i dont know that he will be a superstar early, but could certainly avg something like 8-10 ppg, 5 or so reb, with a threat to shoot the 3 or score inside.

overall he is an excellent pick up that any program would be lucky to have.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
the aau team i coach played vs daniels (belmont shore) in little rock in april 2010. we lost by 1 in a great game. daniels is a prototypical NBA wing. he should be an effective but not dominante rebounder in college with his athleticism.

i dont recall him being nearly 6'9. i would have guessed a real 6'6 at the time (2010). he can shoot the 3, explode off the floor (put back dunk on us), and should be able to defend at the collegiate level with his size and athleticism.

i would guess he will contribute as a freshman. i dont know that he will be a superstar early, but could certainly avg something like 8-10 ppg, 5 or so reb, with a threat to shoot the 3 or score inside.

overall he is an excellent pick up that any program would be lucky to have.
Thanks. Do you think he can only play the college 3? Or can he play either the college 2 or 4?

Reaction Score
In another week he'll be 6'10. He's either in a growth spurt or the proverbial his legend his growing.
He's just finished high school, a couple of inches is not unreasonable. I suspect he could get to 6'10" in 3 years.

Reaction Score
Thanks. Do you think he can only play the college 3? Or can he play either the college 2 or 4?

That's a tough one because i have only seen him in person for one game. I would say it depends on the match ups.

He is a perfect 3 bc that is where he can defend and would not be asked to handle the ball too much. at the 2 I am a little uncertain of his on ball skills, and I could foresee him having some trouble defending a powerful 4.

however, he is certainly bigger and stronger now than in April of 2010. I think he is versatile enough to slide anywhere from 2-4 against many opponents, and will provide Calhoun with some versatility.

my guess is that you would see him more at the 4 than the 2 due to the sheer fact that other guys on the roster who can play 2 will be much smaller thus Daniels would fit better elsewhere in the lineup.

I dont know your PG situation, but I would think PG, Lamb, Daniels, PF, C will be very hard to defend

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Our starting pg should be soph Shabazz Napier who played significant minutes last season allowing Kemba Walker to slide to the 2. Shabazz rarely started but was in the game at crunch time.

He will be backed up by Ryan Boatright a freshman who is supposedly as fast as Shabazz and Kemba. Jeremey is the only 2g so people are wondering who besides Boatright could back up Lamb. The debate was between Giffeye and Daniels. We'll see but it looks like Giffeye.

Reaction Score
Shabazz...duh. Knew that. Yea I wouldn't expect to see Daniels at 2 much, but he can certainly shoot the ball

Reaction Score
I can see Daniels playing the SG in situational moments like Calhoun suggested over the summer but I have a hard time seeing him getting more time there than Giffey will. We've already seen Giffey defend SGs at the college level and do a good job(Austin Freeman in the BE tourney, great job of denying the white kid from Butler open looks in the 2nd half after he was the only one who was knocking shots down for them), its too early to say what DD will look like defensively but at his size it will probably be a detriment for him to have to guard 6'3" combos/natural SGs. Plus, while his handle does look very good in those video clips, there's a big difference between doing that in AAU games and having to put the ball on the floor and drive against small, college SGs that are getting low and into your dribble. Rudy used to find this out often during his time here because at his size he was taller/longer than most college SFs as well(the same goes for Stan, Roscoe, and now DD).

Reaction Score
Why should he know who are returning players are? It's not like we're defending national champions or anything.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
It was dumb of me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member