Daniel Hamilton--staying or going to NBA this year | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Daniel Hamilton--staying or going to NBA this year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The NBA is in Hamilton's future, but in my opinion, he'd be foolish to leave now. Kids are in such a rush to get to the league nowadays, that they often hurt their own development. The NBA is a grown man's league, and unless you're a superstar, phenom talent, there is a steep development curve. Too many players leave before they have really mastered their craft, and they end up washing out of the league by the time their first contract is up.

Hamilton has the framework for a bright NBA future. He has an incredible feel for the game, and his passing vision is special for someone of his size. That being said, D-Ham only shot 38/34/67 this year and averaged nearly 2.5 turnovers a game. He needs to be more consistent and aggressive on offense, while also improving his decision making. As talented as he is, he would struggle to find a role on an NBA team in his first year or two in the league. Right now he's just not strong enough or a good enough scorer or defender to really make an impact. Another year at UConn where he's relied upon as the go-to guy would do wonders for his game and confidence.

I understand the appeal of trying to leap to the league as quickly as possible. It's the lifelong dream for most of these kids. But hopefully Hamilton has the supporting cast around him to help him make the right decision.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
If he leaves this year, he's looking at 2 yrs in the D-League, less $ in the long run, and a lot less sex with college girls.
Do you have stats on correlation between years spent in college and years in in D-Leauge/long term $/sex with college girls? Would be interesting to see.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
He's nowhere near ready at this point. This time next year - could be.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I've heard from a couple people I trust he is considering that route.

Hopefully after meeting with coaches and such he decides to stay
Weird how everyone ignored this after you posted it. Wish I could but considering what Zionn stated this is the only thing that makes sense to his statement.

I hope he returns, but if he is strongly considering leaving I hope he doesn't wait until all options of finding some replacement are gone.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Whether we think he's ready or not, it's not a done deal that he returns.

Reaction Score
People can crack jokes all they want and knock scrappy, but this is absolutely on the table for him this year.

Reaction Score
If Hamilton goes, we should stop recruiting top-30 players altogether. What's the point of bringing in guys who are going to give you one mediocre year before leaving?

Reaction Score
Its no different than teams taking high school kids yet in this case--you get some bonafides with his play. The NBA drafting process is all about future projections. Has Daniel proven he can potentially be a nice NBA player--id say yes. Is it in his best interests to go at this time_-Id say no way--completely free of any of my Uconn fanism. Take out an insurance policy sty develop and he will prosper. Dont take the faster buck.

Reaction Score
If Hamilton goes, we should stop recruiting top-30 players altogether. What's the point of bringing in guys who are going to give you one mediocre year before leaving?

Not sure if you're being sarcastic, but 3 of the top 5 UConn players of all time on some lists in that other thread were top 30 guys. And you have a pretty weird definition of mediocre, granted he needs to get a good deal better.

Reaction Score
Not sure if you're being sarcastic, but 3 of the top 5 UConn players of all time on some lists in that other thread were top 30 guys. And you have a pretty weird definition of mediocre, granted he needs to get a good deal better.

I was being hyperbolic, but the old top 5 doesn't matter. Ray Allen is a one-and-done now. Maybe Rip, too.

I don't think my definition was weird. Hamilton had some serious flaws this year. 38% from the floor for a guy who doesn't get to the line particularly often is mediocre. In fact, that's crappy. He's good at creating for others, but he was below-average overall on offense.

Reaction Score
Deandre with a monster year and tourney would maybe have done better than 37th (Raptors) and ending up in Perth Australia. He was up and down last year with a good tourney but another year of scouting exposure with TV could have helped. DHam's mid range shooting is not good and for that matter long range. Handle needs help. Still a stringbean, I think KO will set him straight.

Reaction Score
I was being hyperbolic, but the old top 5 doesn't matter. Ray Allen is a one-and-done now. Maybe Rip, too.

I don't think my definition was weird. Hamilton had some serious flaws this year. 38% from the floor for a guy who doesn't get to the line particularly often is mediocre. In fact, that's crappy. He's good at creating for others, but he was below-average overall on offense.

Well top 10 guys almost always go, but if you're in the 11-20 range like Hamilton was you're likely to stay. 9 of the guys in the 11-20 range in 2013 stayed for their sophomore year and 8 of the guys in the 11-20 range in 2012 stayed at least an extra year.

8 of the guys in that range in 2011 stayed at least another year.

Reaction Score
I have heard from a good source that he is gone this year!!! The guy at the car wash told me last week. :)

Reaction Score
I really hope we're not seeing a bifurcation between 4-year players and 1-and-dones, with no middle ground. We built this program on the strength of early entrant sophomores and juniors who stayed long enough to maximize their draft position and also to help the team.

Ray, Rip, Emeka, Rudy all could have left earlier than they did. They stayed and their teams were juggernauts.

Are we getting to the point that that sort of player and that sort of college career doesn't exist anymore? That anyone who flashes "potential" leaves at the earliest available opportunity?

Reaction Score
I'm just now noticing Borges addressed Brimah's status on Friday as well, I guess the nonsense from here floated back to him. I guess we can add this to Omar sitting out to preserve his eligibility for an impending transfer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom