"Daniel Hamilton Ready to Lead" | The Boneyard

"Daniel Hamilton Ready to Lead"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
A good summer read. An excerpt:

“He’s good,” Ollie said of Hamilton. Then he laughed. “That might be the understatement of the year. He’s very, very talented.”

How good? Well, Hamilton was the only freshman in the country last season to record 300 points (380), 200 rebounds (267) and 100 assists (128). He is only the second UConn freshman to post that combination of numbers. The other was Nadav Henefeld in 1989-90. Henefeld had 429 points, 208 rebounds and 106 assists.

https://www.todaysu.com/mcbb/uconns-daniel-hamilton-is-ready-to-lead-in-2015/

Reaction Score
How good? Well, Hamilton was the only freshman in the country last season to record 300 points (380), 200 rebounds (267) and 100 assists (128). He is only the second UConn freshman to post that combination of numbers. The other was Nadav Henefeld in 1989-90. Henefeld had 429 points, 208 rebounds and 106 assists.

I hope DH goes for 18/8/5 and is in the lottery. I hope Purvis lives up to his McD status and gives us 16-18 a game. That would be great. But that means we lose them both to the draft. Gibbs, Miller and Omar are gone. We want this season to be huge. Under the above circumstances we need the 2016 class to be huge. And that is supposing AB doesn't blow up. (Hope he does). Going to be an exciting year on court. Going to be nerve time arm chair QBing the 2016 recruits.

Reaction Score

I hope DH goes for 18/8/5 and is in the lottery. I hope Purvis lives up to his McD status and gives us 16-18 a game. That would be great. But that means we lose them both to the draft. Gibbs, Miller and Omar are gone. We want this season to be huge. Under the above circumstances we need the 2016 class to be huge. And that is supposing AB doesn't blow up. (Hope he does). Going to be an exciting year on court. Going to be nerve time arm chair QBing the 2016 recruits.

Let's hold off on this until Chief gets an opportunity to break down everyone's game for us.

Reaction Score
Let's hold off on this until Chief gets an opportunity to break down everyone's game for us.
You know, I messaged him a while ago to give me some player evals, but he hasn't gotten back to me yet. Think he's been pretty busy with the replies as I'm sure I'm not the only one who has reached out.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
You know, I messaged him a while ago to give me some player evals, but he hasn't gotten back to me yet. Think he's been pretty busy with the replies as I'm sure I'm not the only one who has reached out.
he's recovering from a long weekend of chillin' with drummond

Reaction Score

“He’s good,” Ollie said of Hamilton. Then he laughed. “That might be the understatement of the year. He’s very, very talented.”

Wasn't Henefeld an OLD freshman also? I thought he did a stint in the Israeli Armed Forces prior to college?

C

Chief00

I keep asking him to. I wonder what's taking so long.

As has been stated, Hamilton is a triple threat (scoring, rebounding and assists). I don't know about leadership - just being a sophomore! I agree with Ollie, Hamilton needs to improve his foul shooting - that should add a couple points a game to his average. Improving his shot selection probably could add a few percent to his FG shooting.
Hamilton has good vision and can see ahead at least one step - he puts the pass, when he is on his game, where the guy should be (Brimah going to rim for dunk) but he had too many unforced turnovers - so he just needs to be more focused and not get careless. Cousy use to throw it early in the game to where a guy should be to send him a message to run hard and to be in the game when you don't have the ball. It was worth an early turnover.
The advantage Hamilton had is he played for years with older brothers so much of the game has become intuitive. That's the big advantage he has over a Brimah or Facey who are relatively new to the game.
Ollie said recently that Hamilton could play PG and I get that given his passing and penetration but at 6-7 he dribbles pretty high if going against a good defender. True Magic was 6-9 but he was a master of using his strong forearm to club off ball thieves.
I do think sometime Hamilton settles on his shot and could utilize his mid game more - which is very good especially if his foul shooting improves.

Reaction Score

If DHam goes 18/8/5 he is an easy top-5 pick

Reaction Score
How much improvement do we expect to see out of DHAM ? We saw those flashes of brilliance last year.
I do think adding Sterling Gibbs and Jalen Adams will help benefit his shot selection.

Reaction Score
He's an awesome talent, and could/should really take off this year. But he does need to improve his handle, and I was surprised this wasn't mentioned in the article. He lost a ton of balls off the dribble last season while trying to break down defenses.

C

Chief00

When did you message me?

Reaction Score

If DHAM, Purvis, are gone after this year it means we had a real good season. Lets cut the nets down in Houston, and send our players on their way. With a parade around Bushnell Park!

Reaction Score
Hamilton is a star, I just wish he wouldn't hesitate on open shots. He's so gifted, that he puts up good numbers that you wonder when he did it. That's smooth, silent and skilled.

If he stays after next season he should be our next AA.

Reaction Score
Assessing DHam's shot selection and so on based on last year is misguided. Our team was so offensively challenged that he had no choice but to take shots that, in a good offense, would be questionable. It would be like watching a starving man take a half eaten donut out of a dumpster and then criticizing his culinary choices - sometimes you gotta take what you can get.
Looking forward, throw in a marksman like Gibbs, hope Purvis can be a regular threat, and add a creator like Adams, and DHam can be more free to roam about the cabin and be in better spots to catch and shoot or distribute. That is a wonderfully scary thought.
Remember how a bunch of guys were ripping him early last year? lol

Reaction Score
Hopefully he doesn't end up like Jon Snow :confused:
Jon Snow didn't understand the "no I in Team" concept. He was the Carmelo Anthony of the North (and yes, fans of the Knicks would be the wildlings).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom