Dangers of Villanova | The Boneyard

Dangers of Villanova

Reaction Score
I hope this turns out to be a silly thread, but Villanova is one of those teams where it's hard to predict what will happen. MS is an unbelievable shooter. Like Deadly. Maybe not Caitlyn Clark deadly, but close. She made some 3's against Seton Hall that were unbelievable.

Keys to victory will be the Press (they struggled late against UConn's press and against the Pirates yesterday.) Maddy is going to score. Even if we blindfold her, tie one hand behind her back and make her shoot one handed backwards, she will score 20. I think someone needs to be all over her like a cheap suit to minimize the damage.

Hopefully, we win by 30. At a risk of "not being happy with my life away from the Boneyard" as several here implied on the chat to anyone speaking critically about the performance late yesterday, I did feel it was a bit of a let down. UConn let off the gas considerably. Actually lost the second half by one point. I don't think they can afford to do that come tournament time. Yeah, we won by 20, but still not the best precedent.

100% pedal to the metal for 40 minutes tonight!

Go UConn!

Reaction Score
Screenshot (14).png

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Some pre game quotes from our opponents

“The teams that have been successful against UConn can score at a high clip and shoot the three-ball well, and have the balance of an inside-outside attack,” Marquette coach Megan Duffy said. “Watching Villanova this year, they hit a lot of shots from the perimeter. If you can do that, you might have a chance.”

“I think we definitely have an expectation that it’s going to be a lot harder knowing that they’re coming back for a revenge game,” Villanova graduate student Brianna Herlihy said. “I think we just have that mindset. But we made it to the championship. So we’re going to play like we’re playing for a championship.”

“I think you just take it like another game, take it one play at a time,” Villanova junior and 2022 Big East Player of the Year Maddy Siegrist said after the second-seeded Wildcats advanced with a 64-55 win over Seton Hall Sunday. “ I think it’s exciting. That was our goal coming here this weekend to come into the Big East championship. We did that. We’ll come play 40 minutes of Villanova basketball and hopefully we win.”

Reaction Score
IMO the key to the first NOVA game was ONO being out due to
injury. Villanova has a 6' 4' Soph from Tabor Academy,
Molly Bent's old school, no other true "big". So, ONO is back and the Tabor
Academy concern is rendered void by ONO, Dorka, and Aaliyah. IMO.

Reaction Score
IMO the key to the first NOVA game was ONO being out due to
injury. Villanova has a 6' 4' Soph from Tabor Academy,
Molly Bent's old school, no other true "big". So, ONO is back and the Tabor
Academy concern is rendered void by ONO, Dorka, and Aaliyah. IMO.
I agree MS will have trouble getting those 5 ft turnarounds in the key with LIV the swatter in there. We need to keep her outside and keep someone in her face. CW, Evina and Caroline could do it. Maybe Azzi who to me looks like one if not our best defender on outside players.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I agree MS will have trouble getting those 5 ft turnarounds in the key with LIV the swatter in there. We need to keep her outside and keep someone in her face. CW, Evina and Caroline could do it. Maybe Azzi who to me looks like one if not our best defender on outside players.
No Liv, no Paige, no Caroline in the first Villanova game.

Reaction Score
I hope this turns out to be a silly thread, but Villanova is one of those teams where it's hard to predict what will happen. MS is an unbelievable shooter. Like Deadly. Maybe not Caitlyn Clark deadly, but close. She made some 3's against Seton Hall that were unbelievable.

Keys to victory will be the Press (they struggled late against UConn's press and against the Pirates yesterday.) Maddy is going to score. Even if we blindfold her, tie one hand behind her back and make her shoot one handed backwards, she will score 20. I think someone needs to be all over her like a cheap suit to minimize the damage.

Hopefully, we win by 30. At a risk of "not being happy with my life away from the Boneyard" as several here implied on the chat to anyone speaking critically about the performance late yesterday, I did feel it was a bit of a let down. UConn let off the gas considerably. Actually lost the second half by one point. I don't think they can afford to do that come tournament time. Yeah, we won by 20, but still not the best precedent.

Go UConn!
Hard to predict? It shouldn't be. UCONN by in the 20 range. IMO Nova is really 2nd best team in BE and may not get in because of early season issues.

Siegrist shot 50% from the floor this year and 36.7% from 3. That makes her "unbelievable?"

I will say though without Aubrey she can again be a matchup issue for us.

Reaction Score

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

“The teams that have been successful against UConn can score at a high clip and shoot the three-ball well, and have the balance of an inside-outside attack,” Marquette coach Megan Duffy said. “Watching Villanova this year, they hit a lot of shots from the perimeter. If you can do that, you might have a chance.”

“I think we definitely have an expectation that it’s going to be a lot harder knowing that they’re coming back for a revenge game,” Villanova graduate student Brianna Herlihy said. “I think we just have that mindset. But we made it to the championship. So we’re going to play like we’re playing for a championship.”

“I think you just take it like another game, take it one play at a time,” Villanova junior and 2022 Big East Player of the Year Maddy Siegrist said after the second-seeded Wildcats advanced with a 64-55 win over Seton Hall Sunday. “ I think it’s exciting. That was our goal coming here this weekend to come into the Big East championship. We did that. We’ll come play 40 minutes of Villanova basketball and hopefully we win.”
On the other hand

“I’ve always felt, despite all their firepower on offense, the most difficult thing is how do you score against them?” said Marquette coach Megan Duffy, who grew familiar with UConn as a player at Notre Dame in 2002-06. “And this year’s team, as they get healthier and have more depth, it only makes it stronger. They’re big. They’re long. They’re physical. They have players on their team who want to defend.”

and even Geno agrees

“So when you’re got players who can score and they’re willing to commit themselves to play defense that hard, then you start to see some of the stuff you’ve been seeing for X number of years. It’s just that, for a short period of time here recently, it’s been missing. I’ll be the first to admit that this is the closest it has looked, and I feel really good about it.”

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
The last game. I just watched the first couple of minutes - the Huskies announced Liv wasn’t available right before the game. Another late scratch, like the others that caused uneven play and losses.

Reaction Score

Go UConn!
" MS is an unbelievable shooter. Like deadly. Maybe not Caitlin Clark deadly, but close." How do you rank AZZI Fudd? A really good defender?

Reaction Score
If this game isn’t clearly decided before the 4th quarter, color me surprised.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
If Azzi had enough attempts, she would have the 8th highest 3 point FG% (44.1%) That’s ok. Opponents can ignore Azzi at their own risk.

FWIW, Maddy Siegrist isn’t in the Top 50. I am NOT throwing shade at Maddy - she’s a heck of a competitor, a gamer, and shouldn’t be underestimated. But statistically, three point shooting isnt’ her greatest strength.

BTW, Creghton’s Lauren Jensen is 7th in the national ranking for 3 point FG% with 44.44%.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
During the tournament games Villanova showed their skill at setting screens and getting their shots off extremely fast using the screen or after receiving a pass. If their shooting is on tonight they can make the game close.

Reaction Score
Aliyah's line for the Villanova game: 4 pts, 1 RB, 30 mins. Liv's line: DNP; Dorka's line: 2 pts, 1 RB, 20 mins. Villanova out-rebounded UConn 37 to 17. I had to read that line several times. That is not going to happen again. Aliyah, Dorka and Liv are all playing UConn level bb. No disasters forthcoming. Enjoy the game.

Women's Basketball vs Villanova on 2/9/2022 - Box Score - University of Connecticut Athletics
this is 2022, there is always another disaster coming

Reaction Score
I think Nike to quiet down their freshman PG and Siegrist is going to get hers unless she tries to take the game instead of letting it come to her. Herllily could be the difference, hoping not.

Reaction Score

Siegrist sounds like someone with nothing to lose, and she's right. Few expect Villanova to beat UConn, especially in a championship game, the Huskies' specialty.
However, UConn has a lot to lose. Most importantly they will lose the momentum they've been cultivating at least since Paige returned. They will miss the chance to disabuse the Wildcats of any thought that they really can beat the Huskies with impunity. They will fail to reestablish the natural order of things. First, they must show themselves to be masters of the BE; then they must demonstrate that they are a real force in deciding who the eventual winner of the NC will be.
Am I worried? Yes. Do I think that UConn can lose this game? Not until I see it.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
A cautionary note, it was Lior Garzon’s 3’s that sunk the Huskies last game, not Maddy Siegrist, and she’s the one that got late baskets to beat Seton Hall yesterday.

VILLANOVA 72​

Villanova 72
##PlayerGSMINFG3PTFTORB-DRBREBPFATOBLKSTLPTS
12Garzon,Lior*357-145-100-00-443200019
20Siegrist,Maddy*408-151-30-05-7123221017
14Herlihy,Brianna*376-102-31-61-9101581215
03Olsen,Lucy*354-80-13-61-230710111
15Mullin,Brooke*343-62-30-01-01321018
32Runyan,Bella161-30-20-01-01101102
02Orihel,Kaitlyn20-00-00-00-11100000
05Cauley,Anahi-Lee10-00-00-01-01100000
TMTEAM00-00-00-02-24001000