Danger's Defense | The Boneyard

Danger's Defense

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
As good as Danger was on offense yesterday running the show and knocking down shot after shot, I was even more impressed by her defense. I watched the game again this morning, and it confirmed to me that Danger has made tremendous strides on the defensive side of the ball.

While she doesn’t play defense against an opposing player, “up in their shirt pocket” like Mo did, her footwork has improved dramatically. She keeps opposing players in front of her, fights through screens, switches efficiently and chases opponents all over the court.

What impressed me most is that, much like Gabby, Danger has developed a “poacher’s mentality” on defense. Yesterday she jumped passing lanes for steals and also came off the player she was guarding to strip the ball from an opponent who wasn’t looking. Her 4 steals lead the Huskies. In addition, Danger tipped numerous passes and hauled in 6 rebounds at 5’6”, behind only Z’s 8 rb’s & Gabby’s 7 rb’s.

With Danger and Lou’s improvement on the defensive end this season, to go along with Gabby and Kia, who were already great defensive players, plus a 6’6” shot blocker on the back end, this year’s UConn team will be very tough to score against. Holding Stanford to 14 points in the 1st half was incredible, but I strongly suspect we will witness a number of stifling defensive efforts by the Huskies all season long.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
As good as Danger was on offense yesterday running the show and knocking down shot after shot, I was even more impressed by her defense. I watched the game again this morning, and it confirmed to me that Danger has made tremendous strides on the defensive side of the ball.

While she doesn’t play defense against an opposing player, “up in their shirt pocket” like Mo did, her footwork has improved dramatically. She keeps opposing players in front of her, fights through screens, switches efficiently and chases opponents all over the court.

What impressed me most is that, much like Gabby, Danger has developed a “poacher’s mentality” on defense. Yesterday she jumped passing lanes for steals and also came off the player she was guarding to strip the ball from an opponent who wasn’t looking. Her 4 steals lead the Huskies. In addition, Danger tipped numerous passes and hauled in 6 rebounds at 5’6”, behind only Z’s 8 rb’s & Gabby’s 7 rb’s.

With Danger and Lou’s improvement on the defensive end this season, to go along with Gabby and Kia, who were already great defensive players, plus a 6’6” shot blocker on the back end, this year’s UConn team will be very tough to score against. Holding Stanford to 14 points in the 1st half was incredible, but I strongly suspect we will witness a number of stifling defensive efforts by the Huskies all season long.

It seemed that Crystal anticipated so many of the plays that she really absorbed the scouting and translated it into instinctive recognition. Really impressive.

Reaction Score
And wasn't Danger's foot speed on those run outs with the ball almost unbelievable? All the better to capitalize on those turnovers that she and her teammates are creating.

I'm glad you gave a shout out to Lou's improved defensive prowess as well. She made a couple of great defensive plays last night, and from the sounds of her recent comments on the subject, it's a real point of pride.

Me thinks these Huskies have their priorities straight!

Reaction Score

Crystal D has also arrived with a new body this season. She looks about 10 times stronger. That has to build confidence, once she harnesses that power.

Reaction Score

Agree on her growing court awareness and ability to jump lanes and come up with steals. I have to reserve judgement on her ability to keep top point guards in front of her, reducing drives to the basket. While thrilled on her 3 pointers, in the playoffs tough to could on these long shots consistently going in so it often comes down to defense. Definitely improved in most facets of game-fun to watch and ONLY a Soph.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I’m looking forward to the game at TX to see how Danger matches up with Brooke McCarty. Last season at the Mohegan Sun, McCarty schooled Crystal. This season, I’m expecting a different outcome.

As it should be. Rare is the freshman that can come in and hold her own against upper classmen. I agree that this time around, the shoe just may be on the other foot. McCarty (a senior) is experienced, smart, quick and still drives the bus for the Longhorns. She's been there and done that. No more surprises for her at this point.

That match up will reveal things about both player's development to this point. Crystal is still learning her craft at this level (as good as Dangerous is now, she'll be much better this time next year) while McCarty has her eyes/mind set on playing in the WNBA at the end of this season.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Crystal D has also arrived with a new body this season. She looks about 10 times stronger. That has to build confidence, once she harnesses that power.
The one thing I was most impressed with yesterday had nothing to do with the game. I was absolutely amazed at the video clip of Danger walking on her hands like an elite gymnast. That Crystal has the strength and balance required to do that is incredible.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The one thing I was most impressed with yesterday had nothing to do with the game. I was absolutely amazed at the video clip of Danger walking on her hands like an elite gymnast. That Crystal has the strength and balance required to do that is incredible.
That was very impressive! I had a wrestler friend at Lehigh who used to do that.

Geno said that Crystal came into her sophomore year in better shape. Indeed!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
As I said elsewhere, Crystal doesn't have Moriah's length, but she's very quick and did a great of anticipating and jumping the passing lanes. In one sequence, she got a rebound or steal and headed up court with speed. One of the players she ran by was Kiana Williams, the speedy freshman PG for the Cardinal. Outrunning Williams while dribbling was very impressive.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
My favorite sequence in the game occurred towards the end of the 1st period. The Stanford PG was attempting to run the offense by lobbing a pass into one of their BIGS. The pass was promptly swatted back to her by Gabby. The PG grabbed the ball and tried to fire off another pass that was once again swatted back to her by Lou. She grabbed the ball and attempted to pass it to a teammate for a 3rd straight time, only to have it swatted out of bounds by Danger.

She must have felt like she was trying to pass a basketball through a hedge row.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I'm glad you gave a shout out to Lou's improved defensive prowess as well. She made a couple of great defensive plays last night, and from the sounds of her recent comments on the subject, it's a real point of pride.

Me thinks these Huskies have their priorities straight!
Including a nice block that was ignored by the broadcasters.

Reaction Score

You saw the Danger I saw. Picking passes and rebounds shows she is more comfortable this year. Her teammate have been preaching her attributes.

One play showed her defensive weakness, nothing she can do about it, she is just not 6 ' 6. Stanford isolated her on a six footer who made the easy lay in. She will eventually, and so with her mates, learn to avoid this option for opponents. Her defense was GREAT, her scoring was GREATER.

Reaction Score
As it should be. Rare is the freshman that can come in and hold her own against upper classmen. I agree that this time around, the shoe just may be on the other foot. McCarty (a senior) is experienced, smart, quick and still drives the bus for the Longhorns. She's been there and done that. No more surprises for her at this point.

That match up will reveal things about both player's development to this point. Crystal is still learning her craft at this level (as good as Dangerous is now, she'll be much better this time next year) while McCarty has her eyes/mind set on playing in the WNBA at the end of this season.
McCarty was impressive (mostly) last year. I enjoyed watching her; smart, intense, aggressive.
Experience for a PG is important, no doubt. You cannot however exclude the training/education/knowledge PG's get from Geno and Shea that tend to give Uconn's PG's the essence of experience.

Reaction Score
It seemed that Crystal anticipated so many of the plays that she really absorbed the scouting and translated it into instinctive recognition. Really impressive.

The Vibrations from our new Crystal is reverberating among all Div one teams. I hope she keeps shaking them up.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
In addition to McCarty & TX, I’m also looking forward to the matchup between Danger and ND’s Lili Thompson.

Reaction Score
Including a nice block that was ignored by the broadcasters.

And speaking of nice blocks, as I recall Gabby had one where it caromed off the floor and into the cheap seats. She really hauled off and pounded it.

Reaction Score
In addition to McCarty & TX, I’m also looking forward to the matchup between Danger and ND’s Lili Thompson.
As of this instance: Whom do you think has the advantage? Thompson, a bit bigger, quick to make the move, proves she can and does attack.\ Our new Crystal has a bit of Moriah within her and is stacked with a lot of Danger to boot, not a bad combination.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
As of this instance: Whom do you think has the advantage? Thompson, a bit bigger, quick to make the move, proves she can and does attack.\ Our new Crystal has a bit of Moriah within her and is stacked with a lot of Danger to boot, not a bad combination.
Not sure whether Danger or Thompson has the advantage head to head, but I’m certain the Huskies have the advantage over the Irish.

Reaction Score
Not sure whether Danger or Thompson has the advantage head to head, but I’m certain the Huskies have the advantage over the Irish.
Oldude: That was an easy out! If you are watching the South Carolina /MD game. I see an USC trying to emulate Uconn without the results. MD took a beating for 8 minutes and recovered but they are not the team they were. AJ'a her size has been her advantage, missed a lot of early shots. USC will win --experience. The question about USC is : are they in the same conditioning as Uconn? I think the Core 4 and Crystal can take USC--Md hands down.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom