Dangerfield's potential | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Dangerfield's potential

Status
Not open for further replies.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
The UCONN offense after two games is missing two staples 1) backdoor cuts for layups off the high post entry and 2) the quick hitting wing three off the pin down. Crystal has the best skill set for orchestrating the UCONN offense and regardless if she starts or not I would project her to average 25-30 minutes per game as the primary orchestrator of the UCONN offense. If you can't get the basics out of the offense that puts too much pressure on you to shoot a high percentage every game. Saniya & Kia are will still be greatly needed.

The game changed when Geno started putting Crystal in motion, sending her through the back of the defense and out. She was then getting ball in multiple spots and making the defense move, rather than mostly hanging out around the top of the offense as she did early. I wouldn't say that was when the dam broke, but that coincided with the minutes where we controlled the game. She was then the focal point of the O and was absolutely the player who was breaking down the defense both with and without the ball.

It was as if a massive green light was shining on her from the bench. Not just to do any old thing, but to take the gloves off and lead the attack. The really, REALLY impressive thing to me is that in only her second college game, she was able to attack Baylor in so many different ways and make the rest of our guys so much more dangerous in the process. You can tell she is, and really wants to be, a playmaker first, but then she can flat out score if that's what our offense needs at that moment. Just wow.

Reaction Score
There is no doubt that Dangerfield had a great game or that she has the ability to be a great player, but she is just a freshman and it has just been one game. I think we need to temper our expectations a little bit and see her play a little more before we anoint her an All American. I am probably going to catch flack for this, but oh well I'm used to it.
No flack. You make good sense. But I can't get myself to do the "good sense" thing. How could UConn possibly get a point guard as fantastic as Danger immediately after the incomparable MoJeff. It's insane. It's not fair to the rest of wcbb. Whooooooooooooopeeeeeee! We'll go undefeated! NC number 12 this year! .... OK, I'll cool off tomorrow and try to make good sense.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Any player who is ahead of Moriah at ANY time is damn good! Mo was one of the all-time greats. Crystal can be too.

We know that Moriah was excited for Crystal. Moriah's father was as well. Here's someone else who was excited:

650x366

Reaction Score
But it's not just the numbers, it's the skill set she displayed. That's not going to just disappear in Game 3.
You nailed it Waquoit. Her skill in finding the weak spots in the defense and creating offense either for herself or for a teammate was as impressive as any PG I've ever seen at UConn--Fr, So, Jr or Sr. That ability won't waver from one game to the next. She was really, really, really good. I'm inclined to think she's the best PG in the country right now. Which doesn't mean she won't go through some rough stretches, but she'll get through them. The sky really is the limit.

Reaction Score
It baffles me that you don't think there was much though put into this praise worthy performance by a Freshmen playing her second college game and dropping 19 points on the #2 team in country. That kind of performance happens everyday, every year, almost never....? I'm thinking almost never and I'm glad she's at UCONN.

I agree with you and waquit. Many people thought she'd start early for a reason. I'm sure many people saw how she played in fiba and/o r in high school and you can see the skillset.

Her quickness, ballhandling, vision and ability to pass isn't going to magically disappear.

Reaction Score
No flack. You make good sense. But I can't get myself to do the "good sense" thing. How could UConn possibly get a point guard as fantastic as Danger immediately after the incomparable MoJeff. It's insane. It's not fair to the rest of wcbb. Whooooooooooooopeeeeeee! We'll go undefeated! NC number 12 this year! .... OK, I'll cool off tomorrow and try to make good sense.

I don't know about National Championship, but the fact is that she was incredible in high school. We got an incredible player. Now can you imagine for example Walker coming next year with Stevens and Camara along with everything else we have?

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Crystal has the talent and the swagger. And really good point guards need a little swagger. One coud see in last night's game she knows how to engineer the offense and get her teammates the ball. When she finally starts, and she will, there will be the freshman ups and downs and the freshman wall.

But with real game experience, Crystal is going to be a joy to watch and a nightmare for our opponents.

Reaction Score
But it's not just the numbers, it's the skill set she displayed. That's not going to just disappear in Game 3.
AGREE ....I can't remember ever enjoying the performance of a freshman at any level men or women this early in the season against such a formidable opponent. Simply fun to watch.:)
Some kids come here not quite knowing what they have to bring to the table. With her skill set and speed like that of Mo Jet and the moxie of a DT she looked like she came here to set the table. ;)
Not sure how many of The Vol Nation took the game in, but if they were not crying in their moonshine when she signed here they were last night. :D

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
It baffles me that you don't think there was much though put into this praise worthy performance by a Freshmen playing her second college game and dropping 19 points on the #2 team in country. That kind of performance happens everyday, every year, almost never....? I'm thinking almost never and I'm glad she's at UCONN.
It is easy to give a player very high praise without going overboard too quickly. It's not just the physical part. Gabby played well at the beginning of last season but got to a point where mentally she felt she was not ready to be a starter. If Crystal gets to a point where she does not play well or does not meet the high expectations, those same people will start complaining Look at Chong and her first game and how some were praising her game but after last night some are saying she will no longer start. If any guard sits, imo, it should be Nurse.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
If we don't regard Dee as 'just' a point guard but simply a basketball player, I think Crystal's game last night
was the best frosh point guard game I have seen at UConn in my 25 years of Husky fandom.
Poor Bria, so soon forgotten. She was a stone-cold assassin against, yes, Baylor, nailing two late threes that won the game and earned her a kiss from her coach as she left the court.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
It is easy to give a player very high praise without going overboard too quickly. It's not just the physical part. Gabby played well at the beginning of last season but got to a point where mentally she felt she was not ready to be a starter. If Crystal gets to a point where she does not play well or does not meet the high expectations, those same people will start complaining Look at Chong and her first game and how some were praising her game but after last night some are saying she will no longer start. If any guard sits, imo, it should be Nurse.
"Those same people" will always be complaining. Some will always be saying what their opinion is-kind of the point of the BY isn't it. Crystal earned our praise, if you still think we are being overboard see the second sentence. I disagree that Nurse should sit.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
If we don't regard Dee as 'just' a point guard but simply a basketball player, I think Crystal's game last night
was the best frosh point guard game I have seen at UConn in my 25 years of Husky fandom.
I was thrilled to read that her parents were at the game....btw...both ex-military folks who served in the Gulf war.
Just how....as a fan base...can we be so lucky!
I agree with all your statements. Can anyone remember a freshman who had such a great impact so EARLY in the season? I can't!

Reaction Score
The UCONN offense after two games is missing two staples 1) backdoor cuts for layups off the high post entry and 2) the quick hitting wing three off the pin down. Crystal has the best skill set for orchestrating the UCONN offense and regardless if she starts or not I would project her to average 25-30 minutes per game as the primary orchestrator of the UCONN offense. If you can't get the basics out of the offense that puts too much pressure on you to shoot a high percentage every game. Saniya & Kia are will still be greatly needed.
awesome analysis, Coco, thanks. Of course, one point is that this is such a new team in the making with so little essential continuity from last year that these things take time to develop (if they do develop); it was obvious how pained Geno was with the lack of flow of the offense last night. As you suggest, it falls largely on Crystal who was to the role of point guard born: she was immediately ordering around her veteran teammates!

As well, last week Geno was asked why he agreed to this incredibly difficult early schedule and he replied (he was joking) that at the time he thought Morgan Tuck was returning. But the truth is, if Morgan were here, both of what you say, especially #1 would come more quickly.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Poor Bria, so soon forgotten. She was a stone-cold assassin against, yes, Baylor, nailing two late threes that won the game and earned her a kiss from her coach as she left the court.
Hence the moniker "Big Shot Bria."

Reaction Score
20161118_212552.jpg
I have watched several episodes of this crazy show on netflix. it's like a car wreck. I think it is an Australian comedy. don't blame me if you find yourself watching it.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score

Loved Bria's performance in that game and still recall the thrill of that win, but I would agree with Blake regardless. (At least over the shorter time that I've been following the team - since 2008. Can't speak to prior squads.) Crystal's performance was on another level.

Reaction Score
Crystal put on a great performance against Baylor and appears to have nerves of steel. That said, my only concern is a statement made by Gabby where she referenced having to speak with Crystal about her effort during practice. It would appear Gino was making a point to her by limiting playing time in the recent exhibition game. Moriah always amazed me with her motor and her drive to improve her game so I'm glad to hear Crystal has a close relationship with her because I think the sky is the limit for her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom