Dan Shaughnessy dismisses UConn. | The Boneyard

Dan Shaughnessy dismisses UConn.

swami7774

I know things.
Reaction Score
In a haughty, provincial column that dismisses the entire NCAA tourney as unworthy of his (and all equally haughty people's) attention, Shank vomits the following:

"UConn won the NCAA championship an amazing four times between 1999-2014, but Storrs, Conn., simply has never been part of our sports landscape, and for all their winning, the Huskies are not part of the local sports dialogue."

Dan Shaughnessy: March Madness? More like March Apathy in Greater Boston - The Boston Globe

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
In a haughty, provincial column that dismisses the entire NCAA tourney as unworthy of his (and all equally haughty people's) attention, Shank vomits the following:

"UConn won the NCAA championship an amazing four times between 1999-2014, but Storrs, Conn., simply has never been part of our sports landscape, and for all their winning, the Huskies are not part of the local sports dialogue."
If UConn isn't part of the dialogue, why does he keep talking about it?

Here's Geno on Shaugnessey, after he said the UConn women were bad for women's hoops:

"He has a lot of comments from up in Boston. My question is, don't watch. Don't watch. Nobody's putting a gun to your head to watch. So don't watch. And don't write about it. Spend your time on things that you think are important. If you don't think this is important, don't pay any attention to it. The fact that you have to comments on it, says something about you, doesn't it? We are where we are. You know? We do what we do. We do what we do.

"When Tiger (Woods) was winning every major, nobody said he was bad for golf. Actually, he did a lot for golf. He made everybody have to be a better golfer. And they did. And now there's a lot more great golfers because of Tiger. So, there's a lot better writers than Dan Shaughnessy, but that doesn't mean he's bad for the game."

c29328

On Smoko
Reaction Score
He may be right in greater Boston. That's not a slight. Bostons a pro sports town and the general apathy for college sports can be directly related to the mismanagement and third tier performance of BC. Having regular pro sports championships allows people in the greater Boston area to be less concerned about events they suck in. If the price for BC sucking the big one is apathy for March Madness and UConn championships in the greater Boston area, I'll pay it every year.

And he's a troll.

Reaction Score

Dan Shaughnessy: March Madness? More like March Apathy in Greater Boston - The Boston Globe
Sounds like a Boston College homer

Reaction Score
He's right. Outside our decent-sized alumni base that is rapidly growing in the Boston area, UConn probably isn't talked about much. Oh except when it's March and the entire country is worried about us making another run despite being under .500. Oh and when the Fenway group pays us $1mil to play a football game there after coming off a 3 win season. Oh and when we joined Hockey East and beat BC in our first game in it. But besides that he's totally right, Boston is a pro sports town

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
He's basically a UConn hater, principally because Storrs is located outside Rte. 128. Unless you're inside you're nowhere and nobody important. Boston is the hub of the universe, and Dan is the hub of his own warped universe. Last year his narrative was UConn is bad for women's BB. He's a click baiting, provincial, parochial hack.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
Read this, Mr. Swofford. Read This, Mr. Skipper. This is directly from a major sports beat writer from the largest newspaper in Boston...you know, the city you claim as the northern anchor of that Eastern Seaboard market dominance of the ACC:

"March Madness? It's March Apathy in our regional sports landscape."

Wait, I thought the ACC had a school in Boston? BCU, or something or other? Yeah, you do. What's up with the indifference then?

Did you buy into the ridiculous conceit that Boston media speaks for all of New England? (Did you see what I did there?)

Did you think that Boston College could somehow defy decades of historical irrelevance and manufacture a fan base from a "sports landscape" that, as proven here, will never care no matter what they do?

Moving forward, are cable companies, in this era of failing cable business models based on falling subscriber numbers going to care less about viewer apathy, or more?

Gotta admit, I thought guys with your credentials would be smarter than that. Guess I was wrong.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
If you spend any time in Boston you'd notice this higher than thou' attitude is very common. Anything that doesn't happen in the Boston bubble isn't important.

Reaction Score

Sounds like sour grapes to me.

Reaction Score
I always thought the basketball teams (men and women) should play one game a year in Boston, perhaps in the Garden, perhaps against Providence, every year. That reporter has it backwards, Boston doesn't ignore us, we ignore Boston.

Boston should have been more of a priority for the university, it still should be. Many of our high profile players, like Bazz or Adams are Mass guys. Calhoun came from METRO Boston. There are lots of connection and reasons for the city to take notice. But we have to make the effort.

I also think that the football team should play up there every other year. Which looks like it is starting to happpen.

swami7774

I know things.
Reaction Score
I've found that even in years where MA college hoop teams were decent, Boston didn't care. BC made the Final 8 in '94 and couldn't get arrested. Skinner had some terrific teams that went unnoticed.
It's a pro sports town. More specifically, it's a Boston pro sports town. If a Boston-regional team isn't in a tourney or big game, it doesn't exist.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Based on out attendance the last three night - Connecticut dismissed UConn too.

Reaction Score
Boston has schools that are far more important than BC.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Boston is a Pro Sports town - they only become bandwagon college fans when a local team does something good - and when it comes to BCU - that is never - maybe hockey

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom