Dan Orlovsky has some strong words for AD/UConn | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Dan Orlovsky has some strong words for AD/UConn

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
He saw the program he helped build get flushed into the toilet for eternity and the front porch of the university currently swirling in the bowl. He's mad and honestly just probably airing out frustrations whether correct or not. Other than this board most would probably agree with him because from the outside our athletic department has been one train wreck after another and the people at the top will usually be the target.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Ah, the old on record/off record bait and switch. An age-old ruse.

Everything is always on the record. As some have learned, your private iPhone photos might as well be put on Instagram. If you don't want it spread far and wide, don't do it or say it.

His comments reflect a surprising level of ignorance and I lost a little respect for him.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
As I prepare for my first visit to Gampel Pavillion tomorrow, and reflect on the men's group my father was in with Harry Gampel, I can't help but wonder about the "kind of a schmuck" quote.

At a literal level, "schmuck" & "putz" mean the same thing. I don't know how this Comment will play appear after the filter has its say, but the former word is usually used to convey a negative impression of someone's personality, pretty much calling that person a dick. The latter is used more to convey a person's ineffectiveness. Neither is a compliment, but I think the Toppers would vote strongly for "putz" as the correct word in the context of the article.

They'd also be sad that the great Jewish delis are disappearing, and that most bagels bear a relationship to the real thing that most pizza outside of the known hallowed locales does.

If DB is kind of a db (convenient huh?), that's one thing, but if he’s not very good at his job, that's a different thing altogether.

Per usual, I don't know.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
TBH, I have been underwhelmed by Benedict. I think Edsall for football will at least make the program solid, if unspectacular. But the Ollie extension was premature, regardless of whether the deal was negotiated by his predecessor. He needed a year to evaluate, should have put it on hold. It often puzzles me when contracts are re-negotiated and/or extended when they don’t have to be.

Reaction Score
Jim Penders is incredible baseball coach.
... with about the same experience actually operating a multi-million $ athletic department as someone else has actually coaching. Just sayin'?

Reaction Score
... with about the same experience actually operating a multi-million $ athletic department as someone else has actually coaching. Just sayin'?

I really do not want him to be AD, as my subsequent posts show.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Someone remind me what Benedict has actually done? He doesn't get credit for firing Diaco, DB pet goldfish knew that had to be done.

Reaction Score
Orlovsky says conversation with reporter not on record, denies calling UConn AD “schmuck”
As frustrated as he may be about UConn athletics, Dan Orlovsky denies saying David Benedict is a schmuck, the entire athletic department is headed in the wrong direction and something needs to be done soon.

“No, I didn’t say it on the record,” Orlovsky said Friday from Minnesota. “No, it is not accurate. It’s not true. I don’t want to continue to feed this. People who know me know it’s not like me.

“Everybody knows how much I love UConn. I can see it. You can see it. Everybody can see where the athletic program stands and go, geez, what happened?”

Matt Burke, who wrote the story for Metro Boston, said he recognized Orlovsky on Super Bowl Radio Row at Mall of America, approached him and spoke with the former UConn star and former NFL quarterback. Burke, who attended UConn, said he clearly identified himself as a reporter. He said he did not tape the one-on-one conversation.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
So I take no great pleasure in reporting this, given I have been wrongly arguing the opposite for quite some time...

A contact of mine who has some very personal connections to people in and around the athletic department just reached out to me. Upon speaking with someone who was a higher-up under both of our most recent ADs, it's now apparent that the 2016 Ollie extension wasn't a holdover from Warde's tenure. Benedict was apparently far more involved in moving it forward than the narrative has been.

As someone who's been singing Dave's praises a lot on here, this is disappointing to say the least.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Here is a list of people I think had more influence over the current state of affairs than Dave Benedict.

Jeff Hathaway, John Swofford, John Marinatto, Susan Herbst, Paul Pasqualoni, Warde Manuel, Randy Edsall, Jim Calhoun, Bob Diaco, Kevin Ollie, & Mike Aresco

Also Mike Tranghese.

pj

Reaction Score
I hope it was false that he called Benedict a schmuck. If he thinks so, he could only have gotten that impression from Edsall, and if Edsall has soured on Benedict, things must be in a bad way in Storrs. Conflict between Edsall and Benedict might also help explain the departures of the Auburn coaches Lashlee and Grimes that Benedict brought in, and would suggest that Benedict may be looking for an exit. If so, the athletics rebuild may be from the ground up.

UConnNick

Reaction Score
So I take no great pleasure in reporting this, given I have been wrongly arguing the opposite for quite some time...

A contact of mine who has some very personal connections to people in and around the athletic department just reached out to me. Upon speaking with someone who was a higher-up under both of our most recent ADs, it's now apparent that the 2016 Ollie extension wasn't a holdover from Warde's tenure. Benedict was apparently far more involved in moving it forward than the narrative has been.

As someone who's been singing Dave's praises a lot on here, this is disappointing to say the least.

Wow, if that's true it would seem Benedict might be reluctant to jettison Ollie, because it would be tantamount to an admission that he made a giant mistake, at least among those in the know in the UCONN administration. It's turning into quite a compelling soap opera, and a potentially multi-million dollar mistake.

Reaction Score
Wow, if that's true it would seem Benedict might be reluctant to jettison Ollie, because it would be tantamount to an admission that he made a giant mistake, at least among those in the know in the UCONN administration. It's turning into quite a compelling soap opera, and a potentially multi-million dollar mistake.

Not a factor IMO. It obviously was a giant mistake and there is no hiding that. If he keeps Ollie and Ollie tanks another season, would that make DB look good? The past is the past. And referring to Stairmasters post, I personally don't care that much that DB initiated the extension. At the time, I was more concerned about KO leaping to the NBA than regressing to this and I imagine most were the same. You can't predict the future. The DB hype may be too much but lets at least ride this one out.

Last edited:

UConnNick

Reaction Score
Not a factor IMO. It obviously was a giant mistake and there is no hiding that. If he keeps Ollie and Ollie tanks another season, would that make DB look good? The past is the past. And referring to Stairmasters post, I personally don't care that much that DB initiated the extension. At the time, I was more concerned about KO leaping to the NBA than regressing to this and I imagine most were the same. You can't predict the future. If you are unappreciative of DB I don't think you truly grasp what Bob Diaco was.

I have no opinion positive or negative on Benedict's overall performance so far. Sure, he deserves high marks for sending Diaco packing, but a blind person could have seen that was necessary. You can say that nobody could have predicted Ollie's future performance at the time of the extension, but if it was 100 percent DB's call, then he has to own 100 percent of the results, good or bad. That's his job.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Very surprised to see him calling Benedict a schmuck. You would think there would be more respect for the guy who realized it was time to fire Diaco and bring back Edsall.
I think even the farm animals on horse barn hill realized it was time to fire Diaco, so I'm not sure Benedict realizing that is particularly remarkable... ;)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom